Tare weight and propane tanks

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Tare weight and propane tanks

Postby Backroads4me » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:06 pm

I bought a propane camp stove for the teardrop and since I'm keeping track of the weight of every last thing we're adding to our rig, I need to know the full weight of the propane tank. Bob already had a 20 gallon cylinder (If I understand it correctly, when full, that tank would weight upwards of 38 or so pounds?) There's no way I wanted to tote that darn thing on our camping adventures. Between the shoulder/wrist problems I have, and thinking we could save valuable weight space for something else---Bob bought me a Worthington 11 pound tare weight container (the shorter, squatter one, not the tall one). Trying to make sense of everyone's calculations on the net (all different), it should contain approx. 4.24 lbs of propane? Is that before, or after the space that's left for possible expansion in hot weather? I've seen figures of 15 to 17 pound full weight? Does this all sound about right? :thinking:

Anyway, we haven't taken it to be filled yet----the service station a couple of miles down the road has a refilling station @ 1.19 pd. for propane.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Re: Tare weight and propane tanks

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:24 pm

There are a couple of us that have a http://www.litecylinder.com/ The have a very nice 10# cylinder

I bought a 25# that is lighter weight that a steel 20#
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:34 pm

My 5-gallon propane tank weighs 36 lbs full. The tare weight is stamped on the handle, near the inspection dates.

Propane weighs 4.11 pounds per gallon. You can figure out your total weight from there.

I like the low weight propane cylinders but the price is a little too high for me just to save a couple of pounds. I use propane burners in my home brewery and so have a good supply of 5-gallon (20 pound) tanks.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Backroads4me » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:There are a couple of us that have a http://www.litecylinder.com/ The have a very nice 10# cylinder

I bought a 25# that is lighter weight that a steel 20#

Wow, those are quite nifty. Before I started looking into propane stoves and propane in general, it never occured to me that propane was actually liquified---somehow I just thought it was a natural gas kinda thing. Prior to getting the teardrop, Bob and I were campfire cooks, didn't even bring grill or briquets. We'll still do some of that, we wanted the propane stove for backup, rainy days and boondocking.
GuitarPhotog wrote:My 5-gallon propane tank weighs 36 lbs full. The tare weight is stamped on the handle, near the inspection dates.

Propane weighs 4.11 pounds per gallon. You can figure out your total weight from there.

I like the low weight propane cylinders but the price is a little too high for me just to save a couple of pounds. I use propane burners in my home brewery and so have a good supply of 5-gallon (20 pound) tanks.

<Chas>

They are pricey, but definitely better than all those green 1 lb. bottles. It was my birthday Saturday, so Bob bought it for me (and some other stuff).

Thanks for the replies! :)
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Dale M. » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:55 pm

Propane weighs 4.11 pounds to the gallon.....

Steel tanks usually have a tare weigh of about 18 pounds (typical 5 gallon tank).... The tare weight is usually stamped on tank safety collar.... Look for Tare XX.X or t xx.x or something like that...

According to PDF file found at Worthington Cylinder a 11 pound tank holds about 2.6 gallons of LPG and has a "nominal" tare weight of 13.1 lbs... And the propane should weigh about 10.6 pounds...

http://www.worthingtoncylinders.com/tec ... table.aspx

Once you know tare weight, you can subtract that from total weight of tank and it tell you pretty close what you have in gallons of fuel....

Most new tanks with OPD valve will only fill to maximum of 4.8 gallons...

There was talk and probably fact that exchange services were putting less propane in tank to keep prices for increasing.....

worthingpropanecylinder.png
Worthington Steel Propane Cylinders
worthingpropanecylinder.png (124.75 KiB) Viewed 10116 times

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Nobody » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:05 am

Dale M. wrote:Propane weighs 4.11 pounds to the gallon.....

Steel tanks usually have a tare weigh of about 18 pounds (typical 5 gallon tank).... The tare weight is usually stamped on tank safety collar.... Look for Tare XX.X or t xx.x or something like that...

According to PDF file found at Worthington Cylinder a 11 pound tank holds about 2.6 gallons of LPG and has a "nominal" tare weight of 13.1 lbs... And the propane should weigh about 10.6 pounds...

http://www.worthingtoncylinders.com/tec ... table.aspx

Once you know tare weight, you can subtract that from total weight of tank and it tell you pretty close what you have in gallons of fuel....

Most new tanks with OPD valve will only fill to maximum of 4.8 gallons...

There was talk and probably fact that exchange services were putting less propane in tank to keep prices for increasing.....

worthingpropanecylinder.png

Dale

Not just talk Dale. I've checked most of the exchange locations in my area (& some 'on the road') & they ALL have a small notice somewhere on their sign (ya hafta look for it) with the net contents of the cylinder, like this...
I've circled in red the pertinent part on this sign
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets