crazy sink idea?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

crazy sink idea?

Postby Socal Tom » Thu May 16, 2013 2:25 pm

Ok, I want a sink in my TD, but I don't want to give up all my counter space to put in a sink. I think I have an idea that will give me a sink, without having to lose my counter space. I present my idea to the wisdom of the group for consideration.

Basically, in stead of permantly mounting a sink, the drain line would run to a 2 inch hole on the counter top. The "sink" would be a properly sized bowl or basin with a male drain hanging from the bottom. when the sink was needed, simply insert into the drain hole in the counter top, but the rest of the time it could be removed and stored out of the way, leaving very little lost counter space. What to y'all think? really bad drawing below.
Tom

td sink.jpg
td sink.jpg (22.91 KiB) Viewed 4588 times
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Re: crazy sink idea?

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu May 16, 2013 5:03 pm

An alternative is to sink the sink into the counter then build a cover for when it's not needed. I can't see having to empty, clean, and store the sink and associated p-trap every time I didn't need it.

Easier is to just cover the sink, then the sink, the associated plumbing, and the sink cover are self storing.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu May 16, 2013 5:11 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:An alternative is to sink the sink into the counter then build a cover for when it's not needed. I can't see having to empty, clean, and store the sink and associated p-trap every time I didn't need it.

Easier is to just cover the sink, then the sink, the associated plumbing, and the sink cover are self storing.

<Chas>

That's a good point,
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby desertmoose » Thu May 16, 2013 5:21 pm

I think that you might be able to dispense with a P-trap also.
A P-trap is supposed to keep sewer gasses from coming up thru the drain.
Unless you are planning on hooking to a septic or something, I think a straight tailpipe would work just fine.

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Thu May 16, 2013 9:18 pm

It still has the advantage of reducing the amount of storage space used below the cabinet. I drew a P trap, but really I would probably just use an elbow to run the pipe to a corner to save as much space as possible.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby mezmo » Thu May 16, 2013 10:04 pm

Could you fashion a fold-up sink of some kind, similar to
to the fold-up lavatories used in some TT/RV baths ?
A fold-up shallow sink would contain the water and fold
out of the way when not wanted. It could fold up forward
or to the side.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fyddler » Thu May 16, 2013 11:37 pm

I plan on mounting my little sink fairly flush with the counter then making a custom cutting board that fits over the top to use as counter when the sink is not in use.

Edit - but I see someone already covered this idea above!
To err is human, to really foul up requires a computer

Build Log: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55017
Fyddler
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 20, 2013 9:47 am

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby capnTelescope » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:35 am

I was thinking of using a smallish stainless steel mixing bowl under the faucet for a sink, set into a hole in the counter. The rim of the mixing bowl would keep it from falling through. To drain, remove the bowl and pitch the water at some deserving bush/tree. I don't know how the Powers That Be at a regular campground would look upon that idea, but in the boonies, no one cares. This also adds a smallish mixing bowl to your camp gear for... mixing stuff! No drain plumbing required.

So do people in campgrounds get all exercised about small amounts of gray water being tossed into the bushes? I just don't use that much water when I'm camping, other than drinking. Maybe that's why they call it dry camping. Maybe that's why nobody wants to camp downwind from me. Maybe I'm just not all that civilized? :?
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby grantstew8 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:55 am

bobhenry wrote:Or just run them outboard...................

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=43504&highlight=side+tables+again

I'm with Bob on this one. The complexities of plumbing and waterproofing is significant.

In our case we're camping on campsites with toilet blocks and washing up areas so I scrapped the sink idea from my original design completely.
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:35 am

We have a sink and hot water from a six gallon RV water heater. It is one of the things Nancy loves about our trailer as clean up after meals is as easy as it is at home. There is a 16gal gray water tank. There are increasing restrictions in dumping gray water and in some/many places you are not allowed. Our sink is a small bar sink and one thing you need to remember is that the drain is recessed and the lowest point, trying to use a bowl with a drain will mean that it is above the bottom and will not completely drain. From first hand experience with 8 days dumping gray water twice, yes you do need a P trap and vent from gray water tank.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Socal Tom wrote:Ok, I want a sink in my TD, but I don't want to give up all my counter space to put in a sink. I think I have an idea that will give me a sink, without having to lose my counter space. I present my idea to the wisdom of the group for consideration.

Basically, in stead of permantly mounting a sink, the drain line would run to a 2 inch hole on the counter top. The "sink" would be a properly sized bowl or basin with a male drain hanging from the bottom. when the sink was needed, simply insert into the drain hole in the counter top, but the rest of the time it could be removed and stored out of the way, leaving very little lost counter space. What to y'all think? really bad drawing below.
Tom

td sink.jpg

This is called a vessel sink. uses a special faucet that is even higher but if you could work out a way for the water to go in there is an answer
If at the base of the sink where it comes through the counter you make it into a threaded joint you could unscrew the sink when not in use and place a cap over the hole or make a indented area on the counter and place a round pc of wood there.

there are some wood ones too.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/ab ... itting.jpg
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ ... vB3-ZQ.jpg
another way you could go is this fitting just below the counter it can be tightened or loosened around the train pipe attached to the sink.
go to google images enter: vessel sink
Most vessel sinks are for the bath so they have 1 1/4 inch hole at the bottom.
you could have the faucet come from the back of the galley and be a wall mount faucet.
google image: vessel sink with wall mount faucet
it could be quite pretty :thumbsup:

if the vessel sink looks cool know one will tell notice if it was in the way or not they would just go ahhhh. :wine:
then through reducers you could bring the bottom down to 3/4 hose thread and attach a short garden hose to it.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:27 pm

I fall in the non-sink camp. We sometimes carry a rectangular plastic basin we use for washing chores. When on the road, it's got scrubbies, soap and other cleaning stuff in it. But the counter is sinkless and there's no plumbing taking up space below.

Gray water? It goes in the bushes. Dunno about commercial campgrounds.

Here's a river-runner's trick; it's called a wishy-washy. A couple of plastic buckets and you're good to go. One bucket is filled with fresh water, and the other one contains the gray water. Most people make their own. The foot activated pump is an outboard motor fuel primer hand pump. It might work if you've got a truck bed to haul the two nested buckets in.

http://www.rippleworksrafting.com/Wishy_Washy.html

It's a thought.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:14 pm

tony.latham wrote:I fall in the non-sink camp. We sometimes carry a rectangular plastic basin we use for washing chores. When on the road, it's got scrubbies, soap and other cleaning stuff in it. But the counter is sinkless and there's no plumbing taking up space below.

Gray water? It goes in the bushes. Dunno about commercial campgrounds.

Here's a river-runner's trick; it's called a wishy-washy. A couple of plastic buckets and you're good to go. One bucket is filled with fresh water, and the other one contains the gray water. Most people make their own. The foot activated pump is an outboard motor fuel primer hand pump. It might work if you've got a truck bed to haul the two nested buckets in.

http://www.rippleworksrafting.com/Wishy_Washy.html

It's a thought.

You have some good ideas there.... in my build the sink will pull out in a drawer. the drain screw to a hose but taking a simple 12 v pump (HF $20) and some hose to the drain and now with your idea camp a faucet on the side and we always have a bucket. In fact if I get two pumps one hot 97545and one cold it will be just like being at home. I got my sink clearance for $5 years ago.

:thumbsup: I like your thinking.

I like his idea too just a little more work to setting it up. and It will depend how much counter space he will have. 23173
the water heater and the teardrop with the extra counter space both come from the mind of Dan Hazard.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby grantstew8 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:08 am

For "version II" I'm looking at building a standie based on a small bowlus or Bambi airstream. If you look at the floor plan layouts the kitchen surfaces are dominated by a 4 burner hob and a sink with little or no prep space.

If your boondocking all the time then it makes sense. But if you visit sites with electric hookups, toilet blocks with washing up facilities, I'd prefer the extra space to prep food and a place for hot pots to sit next to the hob. Admittedly some sinks have fitted wooden lids. It's a good compromise.
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets