Propane service for Tear

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Propane service for Tear

Postby citylights » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:09 pm

I have seen most RV's and Tears with propane tanks on the tongue of the trailer. Are most of those plumbed to the appliances (have gas lines running through the trailer)? Or do people just move the tank to the appliance when they camp?

I am thinking I will just move the tank to the grill when I need it, but wanted to confirm that is the norm.
citylights
500 Club

Re: Propane service for Tear

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:47 pm

My tank travels out on the tongue but I just move it when I want to use it for the stove or fire ring. I decided it was too much trouble and too much risk to run high-pressure through hard plumbing under my 65-year old teardrop.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:41 pm

What chaz said!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby CarlLaFong » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:19 pm

The pressure regulator is at the tank outlet on conventional installations. There should be no high pressure gas anywhere except in the tank. BTW, propane is not under high pressure. 150/200 psi. Welding cylinders are considered high pressure. There are millions of RVs out there with propane lines running under and through them. If you're going to use the gas for other purposes that require portability, like lanterns and fire rings, then I would not run lines through the trailer. Otherwise, it seems like a PITA to remove the tank and drag it back to the galley each time you want to cook for some, perceived, safety issue
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
"As I wandered, alone, through the endless fields of corn, I could hear the crows. They seemed to mock me, calling out my name, over and over", said Cawe
CarlLaFong
500 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:35 pm

Unless you are willing to invest in low-pressure (11" W.C.) appliances intended for RV use, you pretty much have to run high-pressure (tank pressure ~160 psi) gas because appliances intended for 1# tanks have built-in regulators that don't work properly unless there's tank pressure behind them. And each appliance uses a different pressure, my high-output propane turkey cooker burner wants 18 PSI, my low-output portable fire ring wants 3 PSI, and I suspect that my Coleman stove needs something on the order of 12 PSI. There's no easy way to satisfy all those different requirements.

That said, I don't run high-pressure propane anywhere. I remove the tank from the tongue and set it next to the appliance being used, and connect the appropriate hose/regulator.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:40 am

If you have a single stove (low regulated pressure at tank) and its mounted in galley area, there is no problem of putting tank on tongue and running the low pressure line under trailer ... Do not put propane line through "living" compartment, EVER!.

IF you have several "intermediate" pressure devices (requires tank pressure for their individual regulator) it may be wiser to have tank portable and use a "tree" connector to connect devices to and arrange them so hoses are not a tripping hazard or you manage to jerk appliance off table or what ever....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby woodi » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:19 pm

If you look a few threads down you can see a trial of what I plan to do for gas on my teardrop. I'm putting the cylinder out front and regulating to ~16psi then plumbing it under the camper to the rear with a disposable tank fitting in the galley to connect my coleman stove to. If you're appliances you are wishing to connect have their own regulators built in just make sure the pressure you are supplying to the system is greater than what they regulate to and you should be fine. I.e. if you want to connect an 18psi turkey fryer and a 12psi grill just run the system at 18psi+ and connect the individual appliances to the system through their own regulator.
woodi
Teardrop Builder

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets