Water pump/air compressor

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Water pump/air compressor

Postby Treeview » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:57 am

It's time to think about the plumbing system for the ToyBox. My first inclination is to set this up on a shelf above the counter and let gravity do the work:

http://www.rei.com/zoom/618168Lrg.jpg/440

Another idea is to use a drill pump connected to a small 12v motor:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads20/H50326+DRILL+PUMP1335568326.jpg

Or, just connect it to my DeWalt 18v drill. I usually bring along my DW LED trouble light anyway:

http://www.blackanddecker.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/DEWALT/TOOLS/LARGE/9/DW919_1.jpg

I have an air compressor from one of these battery jumpers. It seems like it could be plumbed to pressurize a water container under the counter. I'd use a spring loaded switch and a pop-off valve so that my water container doesn't explode :)

http://www.denlorstools.com/shop/images/SCUPSJ-1812_JUMP_BOX.jpg

Has anyone used any of these..uh...besides the gravity flow! :lol:

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Re: Water pump/air compressor

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:48 am

Those drill powered pumps are NOT FOOD SAFE. Do not use for drinking water!

I've used one of these for years with good luck and good reliability.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON ... Pid=search

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Treeview » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:55 am

Oh, yes, I'm familiar with dedicated pumps. My idea is to use what's at hand. I'm on a budget but later on I'll probably use a dedicated pump like you have.

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:21 am

Take a 16 quart pressure cooker (garage sale $5), add schrader valve, pressure gauge, dip tube, and relief valve (Grainger's), heat up to proper shower temperature, add lid and pressurize to 15psi (two gallons of water, two gallons of air) and you have two gallons of pressurized hot water for a shower or whatever. Regulate the air from your compressor to 15psi and you can keep it connected and fill the pressure cooker up to 4 gallons.

The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Treeview » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:35 pm

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a pressure cooker or something similar for hot water.

The initial build that I'm asking about is for cold water though
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Go to EBay and pick up a Shurflo pump. Worth every dime. Using a hose and dip tube you can pump from any container you'd like to.

Given the cycle time they use few amp hours over the course of a day.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby razorback » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Just get a 5 gallon pail with lid and use one of these siphon pumps designed for a 5 gallon bucket.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... ruk5njhq_e

Or you can get a 5 gallon cube that has a spigot on it.
Lay it on its side and let gravity do the work.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Dale M. » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:42 pm

Used one of theses for years (25 at least) .... It recently got so old and brittle it finally cracked....

Got to be at least 20 variations on this type of jug, should not be a problem finding one that will fit your need....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Treeview » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:55 pm

Dale,

That's the jug I have right now. The simplest option is to use gravity. There is a cupboard on the left end of my galley that would work nicely for the square jug.

T
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:28 am

We have two of these, one to fill the on board 10 gal tank the other to drain the on board gray water tank. Others have reported leaking problems we have not had. Being able to fold them up is a plus. The filling jug has a Tygon hose and the empty is filled from a short 5/8" hose attached to an adapter running from the dump valve.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Treeview » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:11 pm

A few years ago I bought one of those bladder jugs. After two weekends it leaked at one of the corner fold. I tried many different adhesives to get a patch but nothing stuck. Into the landfill...I hate that!

Tonight I ended this thread. After reading about the drill pumps I realized that it wasn't going to work.

I got out the compressor unit from the battery jumper and connected it to my 7.5 gallon portable air tank. My goal was to see if the little compressor had a high pressure shut off and how long it would take to bring up the pressure in the tank. After letting it run for about ten minutes I had 20 psi in the air tank. That would be plenty of pressure to move the water from the jug under the counter up to the basin.

The problem would be that the little compressor is WAY too loud!!! I couldn't tolerate all that noise.

What I will do is mount the compressor in a small box and stash in in my tool compartment. There will be wires long enough to get from the battery to all of the tires and small jumper clamps. If I get a flat or need to inflate something it will be nice to have the compressor.

So, for now, the solution is to use the Reliance jug on a shelf and let good old free gravity do it's job!

Another option is one of these pumps:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-6-Gallon-Hand-Pump-for-Water-Bottle-Jug-Manual-Drinking-Tap-Spigot-Camping-/360712981887?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fc2b4d7f

since I already have the jug.

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby RandyG » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:28 am

Im wondering if you were to take the water bladder that Shadow has posted above and put some weight on it, maybe another jug of water, and attach a hose. Would the pressure be enough to use as a shower? I know you could just use gravity but for a shower just a trickle of water doesn't do it for me.
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets