strapless tank mount idea

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

strapless tank mount idea

Postby rowerwet » Tue May 06, 2014 9:06 am

it isn't my idea, I believe the builder is a member here but I haven't seen him post this here , instead of a strap over the top of the bottle, you weld a ring to the trailer, then bolt the ring on the bottom of the bottle into the ring on the trailer, slick! :thumbsup: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/87226-UAV-TD-(Urban-Assualt-Vehicle-tear-drop)-build/page50
post 494 of the thread.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Re: strapless tank mount idea

Postby Toyotamike » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:23 pm

I'm building a mount and instead of a ring welded to plate I'm going to cut a hole to sink the tank into, line the edge with rubber hosing slit down the center, then since my tank has wide slots on the bottom ring, use a strip of metal like a strap bolted on the bottom, using some hollow tube as spacers to keep downwards pressure on the tank. No welding needed. I'm just too poor to use anything that's not on hand. Helps I have access to a plasma cutter but a drill and a sawsall might accomplish it as well.
Toyotamike
Teardrop Builder

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:36 pm

My standie has a ring mounted (welded) the the tongue. It has a fixed stud at the back and a hole for a bolt at the front. After crawling under to loosen the bolt to fill or use the tank, I replaced the bolt with a padlock. I just unlock the padlock, remove the shackle and carry the tank away. When we're on the road, the lock holds the tank very securely.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:45 pm

Just keep in mind the ring is just a fixture to keep tank upright.. It may have never been designed as part of a mounting system...Its possible that over time you can fatigue ring and it may fail and cause rupture in tank...I personally perfer to not use ring as part of mounting system other than to keep tank "indexed" and level...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Toyotamike » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:58 pm

Here's my mount, no welding needed. Used rubber gas line to line the hole so it wont damage the tank. Still need to finish up the strap part.

Toyotamike
Teardrop Builder

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets