Venting an on-demand water heater?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Venting an on-demand water heater?

Postby dustboy » Mon May 12, 2014 10:38 am

I'm thinking about installing a water heater like a Triton or Eccotemp L5 on my cargo conversion. I have a tall metal cabinet that could hang on the outside of the trailer, and I would install the heater inside.

My question is, how do you vent one of these? It looks like there isn't anywhere to connect a vent, just an open top on the heater. I would like to keep the battery and electrical equipment inside the cabinet too.
dustboy
Teardrop Master

Re: Venting an on-demand water heater?

Postby George Taylor » Mon May 12, 2014 7:43 pm

If you do not plan on boon docking, meaning you will have electricity, look at the tank less electric ones. I have used them in both our campers. I used the 2.5 gal Aristion one. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariston-2-5- ... /100051412 . They work great and do not take up a ton of space.
George Taylor
Teardrop Master

Postby dustboy » Mon May 12, 2014 11:49 pm

Yeah, we'll be boondocking for sure.

I just placed my order for an Eccotemp 5L.. :twisted: Might have to modify the steel cabinet with some vents, but it should work.
dustboy
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue May 13, 2014 12:44 am

I think it's been discussed before, but that L5 is intended for outdoor use only as I recall.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby M C Toyer » Tue May 13, 2014 2:25 pm

I mounted mine in the cabinet under the sink and next to my shower. The vent is standard 4 x 12 x 6 HVAC right angle boot (sometimes called a torpedo) which was close in size to the outside of the tankless, crimped for a tight fit, pop riveted, then sealed with hightemp aluminum duct tape. The flue was a standard 6" double wall but I had added a 6 x 5 reducer to the boot making it a triple wall where it passes through.

The tankless stands off the wall about 3 inches on the closest side. I had added a sheet of aluminum on the other, not as a precaution but to cover a hole, but hasn't proven to be necessary so did not bother to do the same on the close side. A small operable louvered metal register vent would be better for the outside exhaust than a plastic dryer vent.

On the lowest setting it is fine for the shower without a cold water line and mixing valve but I did replace the plastic hose that came with the shower head with a section of the braided steel toilet connector after the plastic melted.

More pics and details on page 3 of my Log Cabin build journal.

M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby dustboy » Tue May 13, 2014 3:30 pm

M C Toyer wrote:I mounted mine in the cabinet under the sink and next to my shower. The vent is standard 4 x 12 x 6 HVAC right angle boot (sometimes called a torpedo) which was close in size to the outside of the tankless, crimped for a tight fit, pop riveted, then sealed with hightemp aluminum duct tape. The flue was a standard 6" double wall but I had added a 6 x 5 reducer to the boot making it a triple wall where it passes through.

AHA! There's the answer I was looking for. Clever!
dustboy
Teardrop Master

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets