city water connection/check valve

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

city water connection/check valve

Postby m.colley » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:34 pm

How many on here with a city water connection have a check valve/back flow valve installed on the city side. Is it necessary to have one or is the incoming pressure of the city water sufficent to keep it in check.


Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 449
Images: 83
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:26 am
Location: Columbus Georgia

Re: city water connection/check valve

Postby lrrowe » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:47 pm

I did not have one. A couple of weeks ago it blew my inside plumbing apart. Now I will not connect to such sources without one.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
User avatar
lrrowe
Donating Member
 
Posts: 3268
Images: 439
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:54 am
Location: SW Virigina

Re: city water connection/check valve

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:22 am

lrrowe wrote:I did not have one. A couple of weeks ago it blew my inside plumbing apart. Now I will not connect to such sources without one.


A check valve will not help...you need a pressure reducing valve. About 10 bucks at any RV store or amazon. A backflow device simply as named prevents backflow in the opposite direction of intended flow, although for a backflow to work properly it does have a very small pressure differential (Less) on the downstream side aided or equalized with spring pressure, but not near enough to achieve the out come you are after.


http://www.etrailer.com/Plumbing/Aqua-P ... AghN8P8HAQ
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
User avatar
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 853
Images: 21
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:00 pm
Location: Central Ca.
Top

Re: city water connection/check valve

Postby lrrowe » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:22 am

Redneck Teepee wrote:
lrrowe wrote:I did not have one. A couple of weeks ago it blew my inside plumbing apart. Now I will not connect to such sources without one.


A check valve will not help...you need a pressure reducing valve. About 10 bucks at any RV store or amazon. A backflow device simply as named prevents backflow in the opposite direction of intended flow, although for a backflow to work properly it does have a very small pressure differential (Less) on the downstream side aided or equalized with spring pressure, but not near enough to achieve the out come you are after.


http://www.etrailer.com/Plumbing/Aqua-P ... AghN8P8HAQ


My mistake....I did not read the words corrctly. I thought I was commenting on a pressure valve and not a check valve.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
User avatar
lrrowe
Donating Member
 
Posts: 3268
Images: 439
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:54 am
Location: SW Virigina
Top

Re: city water connection/check valve

Postby H.A. » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:45 am

I did on my big camper. First thing beyond the strainer at the input hose connection.
While it would work as backflow prevention, that was not its primary job.

Btw, a legitimate campground will have vacuum breaker on a threaded watertap. But I dont think that will prevent backflow if pressure is maintained.
H.A.
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 428
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:16 pm
Top

Re: city water connection/check valve

Postby m.colley » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:05 pm

H.A. wrote:I did on my big camper. First thing beyond the strainer at the input hose connection.
While it would work as backflow prevention, that was not its primary job.

Btw, a legitimate campground will have vacuum breaker on a threaded watertap. But I dont think that will prevent backflow if pressure is maintained.



Thanks HA for the reply. I had plans for a pressure regulator at the shore water inlet but wasn't sure if a check valve was really needed. My thought was it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks again,
Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 449
Images: 83
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:26 am
Location: Columbus Georgia
Top


Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest