Coleman stove fixed

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Coleman stove fixed

Postby les45 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:48 pm

I had my old Coleman two burner propane stove for over 40 years and it worked like a charm until it died last year. Naturally, I bought an updated model of the same stove since I had such good experience with the old one. Unfortunately, as with most things we buy nowadays, the new model didn't live up to expectations. The main problem was the inability to throttle the burners down to lower settings. It was like they were either on full or off. I kind of lived with it for a few trips but finally found a fix after reading the feedback on the stove on Amazon. The fix was really quite simple. The problem is apparently caused by the grease that Coleman uses on the throttle valves. First, I removed the knobs by removing the small phillips head screw that holds them on. This takes a good bit of pressure with a small phillips head screwdriver so I had to set the stove on its back end in order to get enough pressure to break the screws loose. I then removed the brass nuts that hold the valves to the casing. Then the valves can be unscrewed and removed. I found the two O-rings on each valve covered in black grease and I removed all the grease with a clean, lint free cloth. I also used a rod from my gun cleaning kit to swab the grease out of the inside area that the valves screw into. I then put a light coating of silicone grease on the O-rings and reinstalled everything. The difference was amazing. I can now throttle both burners from low to high with no problem. Hope this can help someone else who may be having this problem.
les45
500 Club

Re: Coleman stove fixed

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:16 pm

I have that stove, with that problem. I'll try your solution.

Thanks

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks Les, good info. Do you know if this is true for all brands of propane stoves or just Coleman. I have had a 2-burner Ozark Trail since I built my TD in 2006. It has the same problem. i.e. unable to turn down the burners. I like the stove since it's all SS but hate trying to cook on it because of the high heat. Also have a couple of older model (still lot's newer than me) Coleman propane stoves that don't 'crank' down as well as I think they should... I'll try cleaning/degreasing the valves on them.
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby les45 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:29 pm

Nobody wrote:Thanks Les, good info. Do you know if this is true for all brands of propane stoves or just Coleman. I have had a 2-burner Ozark Trail since I built my TD in 2006. It has the same problem. i.e. unable to turn down the burners. I like the stove since it's all SS but hate trying to cook on it because of the high heat. Also have a couple of older model (still lot's newer than me) Coleman propane stoves that don't 'crank' down as well as I think they should... I'll try cleaning/degreasing the valves on them.

I'm only aware of the Coleman issue but it could be a problem with other brands since I would think the valves are all similar and companies probably use similar materials in their construction. They way things are today it may be that they are all made by the same little company in some foreign country. It's an easy thing to do so it can't hurt to try this fix on other brands.
les45
500 Club

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets