"Mountable" LP Quick Connect Fitting

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

"Mountable" LP Quick Connect Fitting

Postby driftwood » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:05 am

I want to mount a LP quick connect fitting beneath my galley, but can't seem to find one. There are plenty of cylindrical options out there (CAMCO, etc.) , but I have not found any that have a mounting a plate or bracket so they can be hard mounted to the trailer. Something rigid so it will withstand the hand pressure of pushing against it when inserting the male end of hose.

I found a thread where shadow catcher seemed to have a similar problem a few years back and went to the UK to find it? Surely someone in the US makes these. Or perhaps there is a way to fashion a bracket that would hold one of the regular cylindrical ones?

Advice appreciated!
driftwood
Silver Donating Member

Re: "Mountable" LP Quick Connect Fitting

Postby Dale M. » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:20 am

Some people have been inventive and made them... Dont see why you could not just end gas line with solid mounted piece of "rigid" pipe mounted to chassis and put "quick connect" on end (do not even consider "air line" quick connect, the required quality is just not there)....

http://www.mrheater.com/connector-and-f ... -plug.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f38/b ... -7988.html

And,

http://bullfinch-gas.co.uk/outdoor-util ... int-detail

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:25 pm

We have the Bullfinch mounted on the side, it works well.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby drhill » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:11 pm

The second link that Dale posted shows a set up similar to what I did. The quick connect is either 1/4" NPT or 3/8" NPT, So used a short coupling or a close coupling through a hole drilled in a piece of aluminum to mount it. The short piece of aluminum angle was mounted to the teardrop. Somebody may bring up the issue of galvanic corrosion, but it is the aluminum that will corrode, not the brass and only in the presence of water and a coating of silicon will take care of that. No corrosion is evident on mine.

The quick connects should be available from Home Depot or Lowes probably cheaper than Mr. Heater ones.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:43 pm

look for seller propane-kit on eBay, I know they sell (spendy) remote fill kits that include fitting mounts. . .
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby driftwood » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:20 am

Thanks everyone, I think I will go with fabricating my own to a plate to weld to the frame per the photos that Dale provided.
driftwood
Silver Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets