Water Pump Location

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Water Pump Location

Postby Newt182 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:04 pm

should my water pump be close to my tank or does it matter where it's located? i.e. If my tank is over the axles of my cargo trailer can my pump be up front under the sink? Does the distance make it work harder?
Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Water Pump Location

Postby greygoos » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:56 pm

It depends on the specs of the pump.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:37 pm

Closer is generally where they are. I'm not sure if it's a power or pressure reason. Mine is as close to tank as possible, just made it easier, to wire, to plumb, and to winterize.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:34 pm

Just glancing at the ShurFlo pumps, most have a 9ft vertical self priming capability. They state the pump should be place in an area that is dry and ventilated (heat).

I have seen several images of these pumps being mounted under the bed which means it might get wet from road splash. The manual suggests not doing that.

The only thing to remember, the tubing/piping between the pump and tank may need a drain. Water/air may not pass through the pump when it is off.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Xanthoman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:18 pm

Typically for any fluid pumping you should have the pump as close to the fluid reservoir as possible. The main reason for this is to reduce cavitation on the pump interior caused by pressure reduction to draw from the reservoir rather than pushing through the line. Also the reason why inlets are always larger than exit ports, besides making it harder to screw up by having backwards installations. (This is the main reason why those cursed engineers in the auto industry moved the fuel pump to be inside the tank and practically totally inaccessible to replace, but if anyone recalls the frequency of changing fuel pumps before recalls they will admit they needed replaced much more often than they do now, even if it’s a nightmare should they go bad nowadays...)
Xanthoman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tigris99 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:32 pm

Yeap best place for a pump is as close as possible to tank as well as about the same level as the bottom the tank (allows siphon action to help pump, especially helpful if sink is a good distance away from tank).

FYI cavitation is only one issue there, for fuel pumps it is also heat. Liquid gasoline is a great way to cool the pump.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets