potential teardrop doors?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

potential teardrop doors?

Postby Trogdor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:44 am

Hi everyone,

I have been pondering how to build my doors for my planned foamie, looking at the issues people have making their doors, along with the costs of making them it seems like a good idea to buy some pre made ones.

However being in the UK its not easy finding any! I have made some enquiries with a manufacturer of custom doors and windows and am waiting to hear back from them but I suspect it will be too expensive.

Anyway getting to my point, I have found access panel doors that might work as a tear drop trailer door, the ones from the US are 26" by 36" and the closest size I can find is 600mm x 900mm which is roughly 23" by 35" I think the height is fine but do you think I can get away with the door being three inches narrower?

The door I would be buying is this one: http://www.ihtools.com/index.php?main_p ... ts_id=2339

The picture shown is not the actual door but I am assuming it will be like that, it looks ideal for fitting to a foam wall, there are holes in the frame to allow me to secure it in place, (along with gluing) and the frame can be covered up by the canvas.

I would also replace the lock and latch in the door for a nicer looking one (ie one with a handle that can be opened from the inside!), I am also planning on adding in a door seal. The door will also have a window fitted and if I have space, filled with foam to act as insulation.

Does this sound like a feasible plan? Does anyone have any sources within the UK for suitable doors? I was also thinking of using an RV window as a door as I think that's what the teardrop ones are? but I am not been able to find any in this country.

Cheers
Trogdor
Teardrop Builder

Re: potential teardrop doors?

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:53 am

That appears to be a good door ... if it’s big enough for you ...However, it would seem you could easily fabricate something similar in the Foamie’ manner , for a lot Less coin ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Trogdor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:22 am

Its more making it water tight that concerns me!

I have read about making doors in the past, but I can't remember how you did them on foamie 1?

Do you have one of your cool drawings to illustrate? That would be nice, as its difficult to visualise how to do the seals.
Trogdor
Teardrop Builder

Postby Trogdor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:41 am

Ah have found how you did the doors on foamie 1, that summary sticky is very useful!

I haven't got to how you did the seals tho, but imagine its not too much further on.
Trogdor
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:43 am

Well, if you’ve been through my picture gallery and seen nothing you like , we can always do a custom drawing to suit your needs. No trouble... ;)
Water tight is just a matter of fit and good weatherstripping ... easy enough to accomplish ! 
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:38 am

Try this , see if that makes any sense (visually) ... 112387
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:02 am

On the width of your doors sit down and measure add two inches. You will feel more comfortable if yoou have a little wiggle room. Remember you will be getting in and out so the width needs to be wide enough to accommodate the bum sitting down. If you are not wanting to get in trouble with the wife I would have her to sit on a yard stick too. That is whats so nice about building your own you can have it thee way you want.

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:42 pm

It's not just the width of your arse and/or shoulders, you need room to swing your legs/knees/feet up and in.

I went a little wider and taller than most on my doors and do not regret it (... at least not yet). I'm 6 ft and over 260 lbs (18 stone and 8).

Alternative to GPW's wider outer door frame is to build up a spacer out of scrap plywood strips, then a flange to accommodate the seal.

My door flange is thin, only 5 mm, and accepts Trimseal, which both seals and trims the edge of the plywood flange (hopefully softening the edge under my thighs along with the mattress).
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:52 pm

The Trimseal I used (or equivalent) is available in the US from McMaster-Carr under PN 1120A311, as well as other sizes.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Foamies