Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ... Building Foam TDs

Postby GoTurtleGo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:11 pm

Hey Mary,

I was so glad to hear that your thieves were caught. I hope you find more of your stuff.

I've been feeling for you. We were once broken into and our whole house was torn apart. They went through every drawer and dumped them out etc. etc. They even punched holes in our walls! It turned out that I interrupted them. I was coming in the front door with my baby son in my arms while they were fleeing out the back. Long story - a long time ago. But the upside was that because I interrupted them, they could not flee with the loot. The cops said they would search all the dumpsters around because thieves sometimes stashed stuff in those and returned later to get it. Sure enough ALL our stuff was in the dumpster behind our house and we got every piece back. All that to say that I hope you find all that is important to you. You just never know.

It did make me super jumpy and nervous for awhile so I am also glad you are feeling better and getting your stride back.
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:48 am

Thanks Mary. We went to Pocomoke River State Park in Maryland. Only about 35 minutes from home. :lol: It was a Tearjerkers gathering and I even gave up a horse show for it. I only have 1 more official show this year, its on the 1st of the month. So I am thinking about going camping one more time. This campground is about 1 1/2 hours away.

I went fishing for the first time, even caught a little bitty fish. :thumbsup:

I am glad your thieves got caught also. Ours were never found, and we never got our stuff back either. Our thieves even stole our dinner right out of the fridge.

:wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:42 am

Kathleen, wow I don't know how I woould have handled having a young son and walking in on the scumm I know you must have been sickened but luckly you got most of your stuff back. When are you building?

Louella, so glad you got to go camping with your TD. I know you enjoyed it. I remember the horse shows and how much is expected of you and how much time effort and money goes into it. but I know you would do anything for your grand kids!! just poke your head in once in a while here we really miss your fine gifts of knowledge.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:44 am

After our break in ,while we were sleeping , I bought a GUN for the wife, and one for me .... treated her to a training course at the Gun range ... :thumbsup: Figured it was easier that trying to teach her Archery :roll:

Eagle ... a wee fish is much better than No fish at all ... :thumbsup: 8) How did the trailer work for you .... did it rain ? :lol: And like Mary says , we Miss you !!! :)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:37 pm

HaHa, no rain! It worked out just fine. Even though I only used it once this year, can we say its been in use now for 4 yrs. :wine:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Sounds legit to me. :thumbsup:

Funny, lately I'm having a craving for Halloween themed cupcakes. :thinking: :lol:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:16 am

Four years ... has it been that long now ... Amazing !!! 8)

Cupcakes .... Mmmmmmm!!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:45 pm

LOL Made from scratch white cake with Halloween décor on them the other night. Just now took white chocolate candy corn cookies out of the oven. Not sure what I will make tomorrow. Cupcakes very soon!
:thumbsup: :wine:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:22 am

... white chocolate candy corn cookies ... :woohoo: Anymore , I can only dream of such wonderful things ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shar » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:55 am

Eagle, I can relate to your comment about infrequent camping. Maybe next year will hold more camping trips for both of us! And now it has come to that melancholy time of year when trailers get tucked in for the winter. I put a tarp over my little Peregrino today, and said goodbye to this camping season. It was short, but sweet, because it was the first year of trailering. Once again, I feel grateful to everyone on this site who helped me bring this project to completion. It's amazing what we can do with a little knowledge, a little good advice, and lots of determination (and coffee). :D
Attachments
tucked away for winter.JPG
tucked away for winter.JPG (66.77 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:47 am

Been reading again about the foamie’ airplane guys having great success with newspaper coverings and TB2 over foam ... and how they get nice SMOOTH finishes by using a credit card as a squeegee . :thinking: Still thinking there’s something Good about paper coverings for camper fabrication, especially since paper is made out of wood ... but with random fiber structure is likely stronger than wood . Easier and Much Cheaper (Thrifty) to use and apply ... and you can sand it smooth when it’s completely dry ... :o I’ve just gotta’ try this ... :D (especially if I can get my hands on some more really inexpensive beaded foam , like the FS is made of ... EPS )

Ps. if you think of it , canvas is made out of the same stuff as wood (cellulose) just arranged differently ... canvas , paper, wood .... all comes from plants ! :o
Even stranger is synthetics that are made from Oil ... oil that was made from plants that lived long ago ... even Foam too ... sorta’ :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shar » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:43 pm

Maybe this could be part of your plan for the Zephyr... :)
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:16 am

Shar, I was thinking the same thing ... That and the use of extremely cheap fiberglass drywall tape which really reinforces high stress areas... and can be used under the paper ... But I was thinking of a completely NEW build.. :o something even more simple... Might as well have Fun with it ... now that I have my Main trailer all ready ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Olddog1 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:19 pm

GPW, that's not nice! First you tease us with the Zephyr then state that you will build something else instead.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:15 am

OD, not instead , but in addition to ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies