The SECOND Foamie' Incident ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

The SECOND Foamie' Incident ...

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:01 am

MAD Dash ... :o Read all about it !!! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66605
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: The SECOND Foamie' Incident ...

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:25 pm

I don't think that's the foamie cabin's fault nor its design. That was a chassis fault (or the weight/balance on the tongue?); so, it doesn't count against the Foamies.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:46 pm

Glen,

So what are you saying, the foam was too heavy? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with Sharon, it is a chassis failure! :O

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:50 am

Naaa !!! I was just making noises . Some people have always been quick to blame the foam, but turns out the Foam survives just fine , while the other things fail around it .... like the trailer ... :o Who expected that ? :frightened: And seeing it happen on such a LIGHT trailer like the MD , and by one of our most experienced builders/Guru :frightened: ... that’s really a defective trailer eh :roll: ... You may try to contact Harbor freight and they might ( just maybe) send you a repair/update kit ...At least the feedback could ( possibly ) affect a change that would prevent this from happening to anybody else ... I think they would care about product reliability .... either way , they need to know about the Failure .
When Catherine's trailer got blown over , it seemed to stick in some peoples minds as a major catastrophe caused by using Foam , (too light) :roll: , when in reality it was just a risky tall/narrow design , and waaaay too much wind ... The Foam did just fine .... :thumbsup: What got damaged .... her trailer ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby R. W. Alexander » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:22 pm

It was definitely not Foamy design failure. In one of the photos of the center tube where it connects to the front of the frame, you can see where the weld is only connected to one of the metal parts. The person who welded it had their Welder set too low, or they applied the weld to mostly one part, or they were welding too fast. Had the person welded along all three sides of the part, instead of just across the top area, the other two welded areas could of handled the bad weld. The constant up and down motion of driving down the road gradually weakened the weld.

Take a thin piece of metal, and put it in a vise, then bend it back and forth. It will eventually start to crystallize and then break. That's what happened to the trailer part.
R. W. Alexander
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:45 pm

They’d better teach those 12 year old schoolgirls in China how to weld better ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bob Hammond » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:24 pm

i went to an experienced welder here on the eastside (near 94 & Vernier) to beef up my trailer. He repairs and builds trailers for local companies, and does ornamental ironwork in Grosse Pointe. It's a bit far for you, but I can forward his number to you if you want it. He also makes housecalls, but that might be $$$.
Curator
Museum of Unfinished Projects
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Return to Foamies