Problems with Foamies ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Problems with Foamies ...

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:43 am

Now then , we’ve long suffered through much adverse speculations and assumptions by people who have never built or owned a Foamie trailer … :roll: Many misplaced ideas that potential builders seem determined to correct … even though they may not even exist at all … :NC

So regarding all these imagined Problems , here is a place to reveal to everyone , REAL Foamie Problems … Things that DO exist …Things that have really happened and how they were corrected… :thumbsup:
Note: Non Foamlings are requested to please not voice Opinions , we’re just discussing REAL events and technicalities here.. We’re not solving problems here , just finding out if they really exist . Let’s just stick with Known facts … It’s been almost 8 years now since this got started as a Foamie forum, many Foamie trailers have been built and well travelled , plenty of time for something to happen … Here’s the place to talk about it .
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Problems with Foamies ...

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:42 am

Conch Fritter is a hybrid and about 75% foam. The ONLY problem I've had is the fact that I wished I believed in the design more and used 90-95% foam. We have about 13,000 miles on it so far.

I love this thread idea and will follow it closely.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:52 pm

The Big Pink has not had ANY problems.
Foam related or otherwise. :D
On the road for almost 5 years, many miles....
tac422
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:21 pm

I love my foamie...

The problem... I stopped designing teardrops. :lol:

Well, I've gotten busy too. But hopefully someday I'll get back to designing teardrops and tiny travel trailers. My next design will probably be a foamie!
My Mad Dash Foamie build thread is here if anyone is looking for it... viewtopic.php?p=1110105#p1110105

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:09 pm

The only problem I've had is wood-foam joints have become visible. It looks to be caused by different expansion rates due to temperature and humidity. This happened the first winter after the build.

If (when) I build another I think I would mortise any wood supports into the foam (rather than butt join) so that the outside is continuous foam. I don't mind or notice the visible joints on the inside.

Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:26 pm

Foam expansion rates is the only issue I have had. Granted just a bit cosmetic and in certain conditions it goes away all together.

With my second build I alleviated this by folding the corner edges over 2". Now when there is expansion at the corners it can not be seen in the sidewall. I think with fomies it is best to stick with all foam and not mess with other materials because of the expansion rate differences.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:31 am

Thanks guys , although there are many imagined problems by those who “know better " , I haven’t had any , or heard of any … not yet anyway .

QUOTE: “ I think with fomies it is best to stick with all foam and not mess with other materials because of the expansion rate differences. “ .. George , coming from you I take that as a Most Positive endorsement … 8) :thumbsup: That means we’ve come full circle and back to the idea of the “hard tent” ( on wheels ) … Now we know what to do and how to do it , it’s Possible … :thinking: Thanks for your significant contribution to the cause … :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:58 am

Has it been 8 years already? My foamie is 8 yrs old? I haven't had any problems really. I haven't camped in a long time, so mine has just been sitting out in the back. Use it now for storage. lol :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:14 am

GPW wrote:Thanks guys , although there are many imagined problems by those who “know better " , I haven’t had any , or heard of any … not yet anyway .

QUOTE: “ I think with fomies it is best to stick with all foam and not mess with other materials because of the expansion rate differences. “ .. George , coming from you I take that as a Most Positive endorsement … 8) :thumbsup: That means we’ve come full circle and back to the idea of the “hard tent” ( on wheels ) … Now we know what to do and how to do it , it’s Possible … :thinking: Thanks for your significant contribution to the cause … :beer:

Thanks!

Not saying you can't use other materials, just saying for cosmetics that dissimilar materials do cause dimples, bumps, pushouts, separations, ect. Different materials can be used successfully, but have to be thought out well in advance and goes much deeper than most who want to build a foamie would probably be willing to learn.

I spent a lot of time fairing in flashing in the corner edges on my build #1. I think it works great, but there are a bit of cosmetic issues with expansion rates. In building #2 I found that the 2"canvas overlap at the edges with a liberal application of none diluted TBII to actually be quite strong in itself. Now my thinking is that if I still want the flashing reinforcement on the edge to just apply the flashing to the outside of the canvas. Easier than fairing into the body before applying canvas.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:28 am

Eagle , You want to tell us all about your Trailer ? What happened to it ? … Since it’s the First Foamie here. It’ll be enlightening for all of us . The more we know , the Better Foamie trailer we can build ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:24 am

No Glenn I do not want to! :lol:

I have no pictures just to let you know up front. But hubby took it out to work on the doors (which I have never really had) and to redue my counter in the hatch. Well it turns out that the wood is all rotten. Foam is all good but wood is rotten. The Foamie has just been sitting out back for years and we have been using it for storage. Also seems like the Gorilla glue is all still holding strong. I have very little wood in the foamie, so hopefully it won't take much to repair. The only main problem I do see is the floor. That was a good piece of plywood, Birch if I am not mistaken. But anyway, that is rotten also. Not sure about repairing that. Might have to take down the whole thing and start over. Except that I don't want to do another teardrop. LOL I want something I can stand up in now.

I have somewhere to go this year and wanted to use the Foamie, but if its not repairable then I will just have to use the horse trailer and make due there. :wine:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:15 pm

Eagle , Thank You so much for sharing with us …. it’s how we learn about these things … Good for Everybody … :thumbsup:

The big question is, did you treat the wood ? The Mix ? Did that fail ??? We want to know for sure …
After seeing Bonnie ( where’s Bonnie anyway ? ) cut the cabin clean off the Foamie #1( mine ) ,it looks pretty easy to do ( for Hubby) ;)

If you’re replacing the floor you might want to try some OSB flooring underlayment sealed with the mix instead of plywood … 4 years on the FoamStream and no problems :thumbsup: … and ask hubby to give thought to simple drip edges which will keep all the water off the floor top and bottom … just sayin ‘ And if you want I can get you the files for the FoamStream ribs which makes a "dandy standy" … but looks for all the world like just another Horse trailer …. hahahahahahahahaha :lol:

BTW …. Nice Paintings !!!! 8) :thumbsup: :applause:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:44 pm

Bonnie took your first foamie off the frame?
:wine:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:47 pm

eaglesdare wrote:Bonnie took your first foamie off the frame?

Yup. Complete floor-ectomy. I stuck a thumb through the old one. Flipped it on it's top and put a new all foam floor on it. Picture shows it all glued down. :) I have it back on the frame. Working on the doors now. I got three windows put in.

On edit. I also added 18" to the frame and the cabin. It now has a smallish galley. Still working on that too.

p.s. I am without a tow vehicle. Makes camping really difficult. :oops:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:08 pm

bonnie wrote:
eaglesdare wrote:Bonnie took your first foamie off the frame?

Yup. Complete floor-ectomy. I stuck a thumb through the old one. Flipped it on it's top and put a new all foam floor on it. Picture shows it all glued down. :) I have it back on the frame. Working on the doors now. I got three windows put in.

On edit. I also added 18" to the frame and the cabin. It now has a smallish galley. Still working on that too.

p.s. I am without a tow vehicle. Makes camping really difficult. :oops:

You did a foam floor? So you took the wood floor off? Sorry I know I sound dumb, but I was never the technical one. :lol: Not sure how to get it off the frame, I think we have it screwed on and gorilla glued down also. I honestly can not remember how we did that. Oh well its up to the hubs now. :wine:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies