Pop-up foamie for Cross-Canada trip

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Pop-up foamie for Cross-Canada trip

Postby dancam » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:27 pm

S. Heisley wrote::o Wow! You caught a picture of a lifetime, with that fish jumping out of the water!

Sure did! I got that one and was excited. I spend a very long time trying to get a photo of a fish jumping again and was not sucessful...

Nodrog wrote:Amazing journey through time and space!! Keep posting, we are all finding the trip fantastic, wonderful, entertaining!! I thin kthe next time there is water, your wife wants to do the video while Mr. does the swimming, right? Gotta say, you seem to be good at the nomadic life, apparently you are healthy and hearty as ever...keep having as much fun as you can stand!! I know there are a bunch of folks following your exploits!! Later....Nodrog

It sure is! Thanks :)
Actually my wife doesnt take photos or video much and I'm not big on swimming. We are having loads of fun still but kind of looking foreward to getting home in 2 weeks. Sort of. I mean the work starts again and were enjoying this a lot but if we ever do a long trip again it wont be in this trailer :)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:01 am

Next blog post of gold panning in alaska! We also went to see an incredible auto museum that day. There were so many beautiful old cars that i made a seperate blog post for it which is the one titled fountainhead auto museum after this one.
http://prinsfamilyadventures.blogspot.c ... a.html?m=1

The fountainhead auto museum had over 80 American made antique cars. The really neat thing is that all the cars there are historically significant, pre-World War II automobiles. All except 2 of its cars still run if i remember right and all except maybe 10 are restored to amazing shape. The collection includes
a car with an 8 cycle motor, a car that you could grease every greasable component by moving one lever, “alternative” vehicles from way back like early steam, electric and hybrid cars, the first American Midget racers and the first V16-powered engine, air cooled motors with incredible heat sinks, a car that ran an extra cylinder off the exhaust of the first 2, a car with a friction drive transmission, a steam car that could do 130mph in 1906, car that had the first accelerator pedal as well as being the first front engine rear drive connected with a driveshaft car, a 1914 car whos engine set an endurance record by running at wide open throttle for 337hrs with no adjustments, a1917 pierce arrow inline 6cyl engine that had 13.5L displacement-the rest of the car matches the motors size, the first molybdenum steel car, the very first car ever built in Alaska, the first front wheel drive car and on and on...ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:45 pm

Next blog post: Independance day in Alaska, Seeing baby musk ox and reindeer at a wildlife preserve, a guy doing 70kmh down the sidewalk on a scooter and some guy advocating that Marshal Joe is the real president.
If anyone k ows what the marshal joe thing is about let me know...
http://prinsfamilyadventures.blogspot.com/2018/09/seeing-baby-reindeer-and-musk-ox-then.html?m=1
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:32 pm

Next blog post of visiting North Pole Alaska in July. Seeing Santas house, a cool pipeline crossing of a river and the end of the Alaska highway.
http://prinsfamilyadventures.blogspot.com/2018/09/visiting-santas-house-in-north-pole.html?m=1ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:56 pm

VERY COOL !!! 8) :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pchast » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:53 pm

Neat trip.... :applause:
Quite the adventure for you all......... :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dancam » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks! Next blog post is up! Driving the top of the world highway to Dawson city. It was a very long and rough road but the scenery was amazing. There are 2 videos in the blog of the scenery. We are home now and there was lots to do so the blog got neglected, sorry.
https://prinsfamilyadventures.blogspot.com/2018/10/top-of-world-highway-to-dawson-city.html?m=1

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:07 am

What a Wonderful trip !!! Thanks for sharing the Fun !!! 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby DaddyJeep » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Absolutely awesome trip. I am glad such an ambitious plan worked out. What are you going to do for vacation next year to top this? :)
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby ssuuki19 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Hey Dancam, after catching up on your photos, again, such a wonderful family trip story. Thank you. We should meet up next year, just in case we're 'crossing paths'. I want to meet you and talk, 'nuff said.
Bye the waye,
well done on re-defining epic. Call me re-inspired, to set new travel goals. And bring at least one decent camera.
'insert amazing un-definable emoji'
Mark

How does sealant get on my triceps and then my car seat?? more than once??
Aluminum is almost as fascinating as wood.
Link to my build thread: 4 1/2 x 9
ssuuki19
Teardrop Master

Postby LostCajun » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:52 pm

DanCam,

Thoroughly enjoyed your build, thanks for taking the time to journal all the bumps in building (these will help me tremendously). And the Success! of getting it done....

I also enjoyed your travels, great memories for you and your family...(my Dad took me across the USA three times in my school age years....first two times were half car camping and half motels....or back in those days....it was motor lodges....second trip was a station wagon with a lot of blankets....third trip was 4 weeks of me driving with dad in the passenger seat and stopping at every possible thing of interest...of course he was obligated to carry the obligatory 500 lbs of beer all by himself...we were pulling a 18 foot Terry with a 71 Buick Skylark...he smoothed down the lobes of camshafts on it and a 74 Monte Carlo....) of course the rest of the family was with us....

I mentioned my early road trips....to wish the same for your family....looks like you have planted the seed with your children and given them so much more than a trip of a lifetime....but many life building lessons....

This is the second time I have been through your build, I am sure it won't be the last time....

I would love to travel where you have just been...I don't think there is enough of anything left for me to make that trip, thanks for letting me take it with you.
Building a teardrop or reasonable facsimile thereof
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=70932
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dancam » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:34 pm

GPW wrote:What a Wonderful trip !!! Thanks for sharing the Fun !!! 8)

Great to hear, its hard to make time to keep going on the blog now that we are home but i will try. See my reply at the bottom for some issues we had, maybe you can warn people before they try and build a trailer like i did in the future i am not on here near as much as you unfortunatly.

DaddyJeep wrote:Absolutely awesome trip. I am glad such an ambitious plan worked out. What are you going to do for vacation next year to top this? :)

Absolutely nothing! Lol. Actually in febuary i may drive down to arizona and race this car on a track with other festivas. Not sure yet, im sort of done with travelling for a bit.

ssuuki19 wrote:Hey Dancam, after catching up on your photos, again, such a wonderful family trip story. Thank you. We should meet up next year, just in case we're 'crossing paths'. I want to meet you and talk, 'nuff said.
Bye the waye,
well done on re-defining epic. Call me re-inspired, to set new travel goals. And bring at least one decent camera.
'insert amazing un-definable emoji'
Mark

We should meet up! Ill try to reply to you message tonight yet. Glad to see private messaging back on this forum! Glad this has inspired you! We had an amazing summer, sounds like yours was quite something too.

LostCajun wrote:DanCam,

Thoroughly enjoyed your build, thanks for taking the time to journal all the bumps in building (these will help me tremendously). And the Success! of getting it done....

I also enjoyed your travels, great memories for you and your family...(my Dad took me across the USA three times in my school age years....first two times were half car camping and half motels....or back in those days....it was motor lodges....second trip was a station wagon with a lot of blankets....third trip was 4 weeks of me driving with dad in the passenger seat and stopping at every possible thing of interest...of course he was obligated to carry the obligatory 500 lbs of beer all by himself...we were pulling a 18 foot Terry with a 71 Buick Skylark...he smoothed down the lobes of camshafts on it and a 74 Monte Carlo....) of course the rest of the family was with us....

I mentioned my early road trips....to wish the same for your family....looks like you have planted the seed with your children and given them so much more than a trip of a lifetime....but many life building lessons....

This is the second time I have been through your build, I am sure it won't be the last time....

I would love to travel where you have just been...I don't think there is enough of anything left for me to make that trip, thanks for letting me take it with you.

Thanks! I should say to never build a foamie like mine. I havent taken photos of the damage yet. But my bottom half is a long box with no top and a full hight hole in the back wall. Upper half is a box with no bottom and a full hight hole in the back wall... things vibrate a lot going down rough roads if they arent a solid cube and we ended up with a lot of paint cracking at the weakest points from all the flex. My trailer frame had some flex as well.

I am glad you can enjoy the scenery of where i went even though you cant be there, thats part of the reason were doing this blog. It was great to hear of your adventures, i hope i am able and willing to keep doing cool and fun stuff like this with our kids.

dancam
500 Club

Postby LostCajun » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:17 pm

LostCajun wrote:DanCam,

Thanks! I should say to never build a foamie like mine. I havent taken photos of the damage yet. But my bottom half is a long box with no top and a full hight hole in the back wall. Upper half is a box with no bottom and a full hight hole in the back wall... things vibrate a lot going down rough roads if they arent a solid cube and we ended up with a lot of paint cracking at the weakest points from all the flex. My trailer frame had some flex as well.

I am glad you can enjoy the scenery of where i went even though you cant be there, thats part of the reason were doing this blog. It was great to hear of your adventures, i hope i am able and willing to keep doing cool and fun stuff like this with our kids.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk[/quote]

DanCam,

I was wondering about two open boxes half filled with stuff bouncing around on roads....I guess you answered that question....

I was going to incorporate cabinets to create 'framing' for ridgitiy and strength....I might even add some ribs now and add a trapeze over the bed to help me get out of it...and when I travel the cargo all secured will effectively become part of the structure...

I have a lot of trailering experience and yes.....things not on a stable platform tend move around and a platform that is not stable will flex.....

I am imagining that my from the store 5x8 carryon without modifications is a foam wrecker....without more bracing and enough weight it will beat to death anything put on it....while my 34 foot 12k lb behemoth is so stable (with proper weight distribution hitch properly set up and the right truck) that one only had only to do minimum of additional protection to anything placed in the trailer.....I am imagining that the big trailer had a minimum of flex....looking at the way it has been put together is helping me to design my integral cabinetry to add strength and minimize flex....(I have a good view of the way my big trailer was put together from all the demolition and rebuilding I have done in the 12 years I have had it....the last 7 years living in it....

I am also looking at my welded alum boat.....the decks and live wells and console are all a part of the anti flex design.....when I was making modification to it 5 years ago.....I was going to totally remove the live well....until I realized that the live well sides were actually replacing one of the ribs.....that would have been a mistake.....(so a cabinet should be able to replace a RIB....in a foam trailer as well).....

I did managed to chop up my boat quite a bit to make it fit me.....but I left in enough of the triangles and arc's to brace for slamming those waves....

So....I am eagerly waiting for your pictures of the damage and your ideas....I am going to try to prevent as much as that as I can....

Craig
Building a teardrop or reasonable facsimile thereof
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=70932
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dancam » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:06 pm

LostCajun wrote:
LostCajun wrote: DanCam,

LostCajun wrote:
DanCam,

I was wondering about two open boxes half filled with stuff bouncing around on roads....I guess you answered that question....

I was going to incorporate cabinets to create 'framing' for ridgitiy and strength....I might even add some ribs now and add a trapeze over the bed to help me get out of it...and when I travel the cargo all secured will effectively become part of the structure...

I have a lot of trailering experience and yes.....things not on a stable platform tend move around and a platform that is not stable will flex.....

I am imagining that my from the store 5x8 carryon without modifications is a foam wrecker....without more bracing and enough weight it will beat to death anything put on it....while my 34 foot 12k lb behemoth is so stable (with proper weight distribution hitch properly set up and the right truck) that one only had only to do minimum of additional protection to anything placed in the trailer.....I am imagining that the big trailer had a minimum of flex....looking at the way it has been put together is helping me to design my integral cabinetry to add strength and minimize flex....(I have a good view of the way my big trailer was put together from all the demolition and rebuilding I have done in the 12 years I have had it....the last 7 years living in it....

I am also looking at my welded alum boat.....the decks and live wells and console are all a part of the anti flex design.....when I was making modification to it 5 years ago.....I was going to totally remove the live well....until I realized that the live well sides were actually replacing one of the ribs.....that would have been a mistake.....(so a cabinet should be able to replace a RIB....in a foam trailer as well).....

I did managed to chop up my boat quite a bit to make it fit me.....but I left in enough of the triangles and arc's to brace for slamming those waves....

So....I am eagerly waiting for your pictures of the damage and your ideas....I am going to try to prevent as much as that as I can....

Craig

Shoot, sorry man, totally forgot you were waiting to see the photos of my trailer damage. I did a 2x2 wood perimeter on the bottom and top half so that the top half could be supported by the bottom half once it was lifted. I didnt buy 12ft 2x2's.... so where the joints were lengthwise on the lower half on my trailer there was a lot of flex because of the open box design and the paint cracked there. On the top half i had 6x6x2 squares on the 4 corners and middle for the top half to be supported by posts when it was up. The paint cracked in those spots. My trailer frame was angle iron and had a fair bit of flex which both halves of my trailer were trying to support, that was a lot of stress on the top half especially when it was latched down. Theres a good chance that with a rigid frame i may have been totally fine.
Sorry about no photos. My trailer is stuffed into a tarp shed and i cant walk around it or get into it now. Ill pull it out in spring, but there is too much snow to pull it out now. Also the rockgaurd i put on the underside of my trailer is 50% gone, lol.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 pm

This isnt the next blog post but its the most challenging drive we did on our trip. Ill put a link in to a video I made of the hardest spots and a few photos.
https://youtu.be/BOIsdwNanXI

The 300km long Cabot Trail in nova scotia on the east coast. The hills were very nearly too much for my festiva pulling the almost 2000 pound trailer. This was a trail, not a highway- i didnt understand the difference. The first part of the video is the first big hill, then next is the second big hill that i actually started to think i might not make it up. Then there is the downhill where I overheated my brakes. Then another challenging hill for different reasons than steepness. Then some nice scenery, playing in the ocean and some photos at the end. Its a very scenic drive but i didnt include much scenery to try and keep it shorter. Watching these videos the hills dont look so steep, but in real life they are incredible!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies