Build started//Sub 600 lbs / 2 months to build / aerodynamic

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Sub 600 lbs / 2 months to build / aerodynamic

Postby Terra6 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:45 pm

Just a thought to simplify the aerodynamic build.
Simple box trailer plus air deflector on tow vehicle like
Transport trucks. If you have a roof rack on the station wagon, should be easy enough to do.
As for the drag inefficiency and trailer design, wonder if it's limited gain vs complex build.
Look at large transport design and the minimal aerodynamics. Ideological vs practical.
On the road to Shambala...
Terra6
Teardrop Master

Postby twisted lines » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:15 pm

ghcoe wrote:
YannG wrote:
Socal Tom wrote:
YannG wrote: Basically just a charging station for phones, speakers, small usb fan, lights. I don't plan at making crazy electrical work. .

Go with a Jackery, or similar power station, all in one and portable.
https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Portable ... lp13n_t4im

I have been all over with :? battery's Jackery style batteries for me (Ammo can's) with 100 watt solar,
My trolling motor should always be with me :thinking:
Cigarette style charger for bad day's or traveling,
O wait I don't have a wire inside my trailer yet; one day soon I will get the urge.
George does have some tricks I need to refresh; before I Make one to pull behind :thinking:
Sleep with your feet forward and keep the front low, it's your's.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby YannG » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:34 pm

skyl4rk wrote:Lowering the rear end of the trailer body will have a greater effect on aerodynamics than rounding the front end.
Very true.
YannG
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:51 am

Terra6 wrote:Just a thought to simplify the aerodynamic build.
Simple box trailer plus air deflector on tow vehicle like
Transport trucks. If you have a roof rack on the station wagon, should be easy enough to do.
As for the drag inefficiency and trailer design, wonder if it's limited gain vs complex build.
Look at large transport design and the minimal aerodynamics. Ideological vs practical.

IMO, this is misguided. The goal of commercial over the road trucking is to move a lot of cargo efficiently. A big square/rectangular box suits palletized goods well, and the tractors will almost always be towing a trailer, so it makes sense to put the aerodynamic feature there, rather than cutting into the cargo capacity.

OTOH, the camper is a portable bed, so just needs enough headroom to sit up and lay down, plus space for "some" strategically placed cargo; and the TV will most often not be towing. Putting a deflector on the TV is just one more set up/take down hassle thing, and a waste of mpg when not towing.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:09 am

Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby YannG » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:45 pm

twisted lines wrote:
ghcoe wrote:
YannG wrote:
Socal Tom wrote:
YannG wrote: Basically just a charging station for phones, speakers, small usb fan, lights. I don't plan at making crazy electrical work. .

Go with a Jackery, or similar power station, all in one and portable.
https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Portable ... lp13n_t4im

I have been all over with :? battery's Jackery style batteries for me (Ammo can's) with 100 watt solar,
My trolling motor should always be with me :thinking:
Cigarette style charger for bad day's or traveling,
O wait I don't have a wire inside my trailer yet; one day soon I will get the urge.
George does have some tricks I need to refresh; before I Make one to pull behind :thinking:
Sleep with your feet forward and keep the front low, it's your's.
These things seem very practical and not too bulky for the features they have.
YannG
Teardrop Advisor

Postby YannG » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:53 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kammback
I tried the best I could to design something with a slope towards the back but can't really accomplish something that is pleasant to eyes. The best I could do was a slight slop of 8 inches but not sure if it would make a significant difference.
YannG
Teardrop Advisor

Postby YannG » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:02 pm

On a side note, I can buy white marine paint ( alkyd enamel) for 10$ a gallon. Would that work or exterior latex is the way to go?

I plan at doing tb2-canvas-paint.

So if alkyd is fine, I would most likely have to do Tb2-canvas-oil primer and alkyd paint for top coat?
YannG
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:07 am

Yann, exterior latex works great , is easy , and you can re coat later on without any further prep ( other than just cleaning ) …  Oops paint is pretty inexpensive …. just make sure it’s exterior paint … ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby stcyrwm » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:37 am

YannG wrote:
I tried the best I could to design something with a slope towards the back but can't really accomplish something that is pleasant to eyes. The best I could do was a slight slop of 8 inches but not sure if it would make a significant difference.

I spent a lot of time thinking about this and researching it when I did an extension on the back of my old short bus. You can spend days researching this over on the "Ecomodder" forums and not get a clear answer. In the end I believe I over tapered based on some of the diagrams I used from over there.

After my own experience, I would think that 8" would be plenty of taper over 8 to 10 feet. Look at a minivan like the Honda Odyssey which has one of the highest in it's class mpg and check out how minimal the taper is. I would guess it might even be less than 8" over the length of car.

Also remember that the most important factor is staying as much within the slipstream of the tow vehicle as possible. That itself is 90% of the battle. Don't kill yourself or go crazy over the other 10%.

Good luck!
stcyrwm
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:55 am

We went full on Bullet shape for our trailer and even though it’s larger than the standard 4X4X8 ,and sticks up above the TV , it tows like nothing is there … Was it worth the effort ? YES !!! :thumbsup:

For simply rounding the roof in front , heat bending eliminates kerfing , makes for a stronger build , and reduces the inherent stresses on the unit ( no springback ) … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WVKttqb6HQ&t=24s
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby YannG » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:49 pm

That is a neat method for bending the foam but would it be possible over a 4 ft wide sheet and 2 inch thick? Has it been done?

Also thanks for the reply on the paint. Saw some today at home depot. Glidden exterior primer and sealer and also the Glidden exterior latex. That should do. No oops available. I guess I can replace the TBII by the exterior primer sealer.

Funny today I was outside and was talking with my neighbor about the foamie project. First thing he asked is " Will you put your studs at 16 or 24 inches? " When I said there would be no studs, first reaction was "well, you will not reach the end of the street before it falls apart". I guess I will have to prove him wrong.
YannG
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ghcoe » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:53 pm

YannG wrote:Funny today I was outside and was talking with my neighbor about the foamie project. First thing he asked is " Will you put your studs at 16 or 24 inches? " When I said there would be no studs, first reaction was "well, you will not reach the end of the street before it falls apart". I guess I will have to prove him wrong.

I have been beating on this one for nearly 3 years in the back country. I think it has held up better than most traditional builds would. https://youtu.be/ezGjlBj2KzA . It is also built on a terrible Harbor Freight trailer that should have fallen apart on the first trip. Both are still going strong.... :thumbsup:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:47 am

Funny , when this first started , skeptical people would argue ( incessantly ) about how they would blow up on the road … :lol: Never happened !!!! :R
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby YannG » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:22 pm

My trailer is not so perfect for this I think but that's what I have so that's what I gonna used. It is light and not so sturdy. Small landscape trailer build from thin angle iron, floor is mesh. But I had this trailer for nearly 15 years and always been good to me. Not sure if those HF trailer are flimsy but mine is. I would think that once the foam box is in with its good floor, things will sturdy up. No HF or NT here in Canada. We have trailer manufacturers and stores like HD and Canadian Tire sell small trailers but they are not $300-500 and probably not much better than what I have. Maybe a welding shop could weld a few pieces of square tubing to make it a bit stronger but weight will add up quickly. :thinking:

Side note. A sheet of OSB 11/16" OSB is approaching $80 in Canada. Crazy.

I will start some test pieces next weekend with some foam, primer and the roll of canvas I got for free from a water pipe insulation company. I do have some 8oz drop cloth on stand by but hoping that the water pipe insulation stuff will work. No seams in that. Drop cloths are 12 x 15 so there is a seam every 4 ft. Not perfect.
YannG
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies