Grits,more work getting done

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: OK, here goes: Grits

Postby Mary C » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:16 am

WW Thanks and I hadn't thought of "pipe" clamps , great Idea.

Kudzu I hope to wash the dogs tomorrow and groom them too, they are a mess. I have camo neckties for them if I can find them, they are so cute. If you go to buy the ratchet straps get the longer and heaver duty ones they are so much better.

Cliff, yes Today is my really work on TD day. I have lots to do so with my camera :pictures: in my pocket my little work apron with my two main tools, razor cutter knife and tape measure, :hammer: I will work all day today gluing and getting the canvas cut for the sides and maybe I will get them on today and tomorrow, while all the glue dries expecting heavy rains :rainy: I will do little things including a little packing and go thru camping stuff. I have the matress ready but not the covers, so that has to be decided. Hopefully I will get the foam on the Hatch and get it covered today. then everything will just have to dry. Three days of drying till Tuesday then I will hang the doors hang the hatch and put in the door handles and It will be ok to drive to CRA. that gives me three days to complete and dry and I will probably take the paint and maybe paint it when I get to IN. if the weather is good. I will have lots of glue too in case, I am taking a can of great stuff and will seal the insides when I get there. I just hope it is dry.........

Mary C. :)

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:23 am

Sorta’" build as you Go" eh Mary ... That’s Cool , and likely you’ll find lots of “expert” helpers ... 8) Good Luck with the weather ... “it doesn’t rain every day” .. although it seems like it huh? :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby CampsALot » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:07 pm

i feel for you when it comes to the rain...

Although it did only rain twice here lately.
Once for two week and once for three.... :NC

Sounds like things are coming along though. :thumbsup:

Warren
Foam Away From Home
Start of Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55752
New Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56489
CampsALot
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:47 pm

You're one determined lady and it looks like you're gonna make it to CRA with trailer in tow! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:07 pm

CliffinGA wrote:Kudzu we're in Game by God of course we have camp duck tape and ratchets!!

Mary looking good mam hope you get a lot more done n next few dayes.

Cliff

Geez now see this why I hate "Smart" phones that help you type, supposed to be GA by God and camo duct tape and days :lol:. Mary Glad you got a lot done today on yours, I didn't I had to get something done to my yard and the 10" of grass and weeds in it! Only had to mow it 2 timesand then had to to cut down the hedges that had sprouts up above my roof. But I will be cutting and installing my damond plate in the morning on RWI. I do plan on taking tools with me in the truck in case anything happens and we are getting there a day behind you so we can help if you need it. When we get there might get some of the guys to help and flip that axle so we can lower it down some for you also!

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:41 pm

Wobbly Wheels wrote:
atahoekid wrote:One can never have enough clamps.

True dat...but....it can be done, even with 'thrifty' in mind. They don't work everywhere, but where they do it's an almost free way to have a whole box full of clamps made of scraps of plastic pipe:

You can play around with the width of the cut and the length of the piece to adjust the clamping force to be whatever you need. I use 1/8" doorskin scraps to keep from digging into the foam.
I like that this saves my F-clamps and pipe clamps for where I really need them. They excel at laminating strips together, but they also work really well on edges of panel glue ups.

Now that's a good idea!!! Instead of throwing away scraps of pipe (including the inevitable miscut pieces) I now have a use for them. Thanks for sharing that one :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I owe you a beer! :beer: :beer:

I admire your stick-to-it-attitude... It'll feel nice to have it on the road. that should happen soon :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:54 am

Mary are you still going to CRA, I notied Kurt posted that sie #9 has opened up and I thought that was yours?

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:48 am

Using a heat gun , (carefully) you can adjust those PVC pipe clamps to different sizes ... Heat till softens (~220deg. ), bend to what you want , keep it there till it cools ... just don’t scorch the plastic ... then it becomes brittle ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:42 am

Cliff, I am in #120 now. and yes I am still going, just hope I can get my TD road worthy, I had a problem last night at dark so I am on my way now to go check it, I am hoping to get it fixed today It got too dark so I will repair it today. That is the nicest thing about using foam it is so repairable. I don't think the glue is completely dry it is hard to dry in this weather. I will just move the piece if it is still wet .

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:20 pm

QUOTE: “ That is the nicest thing about using foam it is so repairable “ ... Mary , you’ve really taken to this stuff , and possess the “Spirit” of foam ...!!! :applause:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:50 pm

I finished the doors, with the canvas, today I repaired the oops and decided that it will have to do. I have to bend the pieces of foam 2nd layer tomorrow and I am not looking forward to it I think i will put about 5-10 kerfs in the foam to help it a little. Now that I can saw straight. I filled some holes, dents and dings with filler too. Tomorrow if the glue is dry I will put on the second layer at the bottom of the hatch. and the two pieces on the top of the TD. Then sand. I will start to put on canvas on the sides Tuesday on on top and the hatch Wednesday. hang the hatch on Thursday and Canvas the top on Thursday. Hang the doors on Thursday and let it dry till Saturday. do finishing touches and load it up Saturday and leave on Sunday.and I have a day of regular life things to do sometime before I leave too. I am gonna be busy!!!

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tac422 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:31 am

Mary C wrote: I will explain the pipes later. 108790 Mary C. :)

Hi Mary,
I might have missed it ... what are the pipes for ?
Your build is looking good ! :applause:
tac
tac422
500 Club

Postby Mary C » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:07 pm

I need some suggestions, opinions,..........which should I put a seam on my Hatch?

A up and down

B C or D across?

I really need to know as soon as possible,

tac I will show later.

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:41 pm

Personally, if I were doing it I'd have seam horizontal with the upper sheet overlapping the lower to shed water.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:06 pm

+1 for A, top overlapping the bottom
tac422
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies