A canned ham in foam: Built

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: New Build: A canned ham in foam

Postby mezmo » Tue May 12, 2015 4:13 am

Nice build job and paint job there...

You've got a little trompe l'oeil action going on there too -
to me, in your pic, that black stripe separating the colors,
makes the top look like it's hovering over the bottom by an
inch or so - very distinctive.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Tue May 12, 2015 12:32 pm

That's where buying a pint/sample can, putting it on a test piece and putting it out near what you're matching might work. Then if it isn't quite there, they can add a bit of tint to it.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NMMarauder » Sun May 17, 2015 8:10 pm

More progress.... Interior covered in canvas and rear stripe painted. Due to recent rain, I found a few bubbles in the canvas on the side where I didn't get the canvas bonded to the foam. I cut a small slit at the bottom of the bubble and used a syringe to squirt glue in and I worked it around with a putty knife. It appears to have worked. It was the side that I canvased by myself. Probably with another set of hands I could have gotten more glue where it should have been on the first try.

I really need a wide angle lens for my camera. It is hard to get a good interior shot.

Now with a rear stripe. Much better!

Next up... Paint the interior and put down flooring. I've decided to go with vinyl planks to give the effect of wood flooring. It's about $1 per square foot and robust.
NMMarauder
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:34 am

:thumbsup: :applause: I agree with the black stripe in the back it is looking much better! How do you like the canvas texture in the interior? the photos are looking really good, but how does the canvas look and feel inside after it is painted white? i am thinking doing similar with canvas painted white inside.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon May 18, 2015 6:43 am

If you don’t much care for the painted canvas texture inside , you can roll/spray on some drywall Texture and then paint over that as per home walls ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby NMMarauder » Mon May 25, 2015 11:28 pm

I got to personally witness the sun pop a dent out of the foam. The new puppy decided to pull logs off the wood pile (which is next to where the trailer is parked) and he knocked a large piece of OSB flooring over causing a dent on the side of the trailer. I wish I had gotten a picture of it right away because it looked pretty bad. But by the time I had gotten around to getting the camera, the sun and come out and the dent mostly popped back out. I'll need to touch it up with a bit of paint but unless I point it out, nobody would see it. Here is the after picture.

More progress on the interior. Here are shots of the interior with the canvas painted and caulked.

I installed the vinyl flooring. That adhesive is some sticky stuff. On par with Great stuff.

Now it is time to start building some furniture....
NMMarauder
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon May 25, 2015 11:52 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: Nice and clean, spacious inside, looks great!
OP827
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue May 26, 2015 6:24 am

:thumbsup: 8) :applause: Sun healing .... That is really amazing eh !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby NMMarauder » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:02 pm

If life would stop getting in the way of me having fun, I might make more progress on my trailer. I've been building the bed frame and I'm quite sure the way I do it is not the way the professionals do it. I measure 3 times, cut once. Then I measure 3 more times to make sure it needs to be a 1/16 of an inch shorter and then I cut again. Often this cycle gets repeated again. I think I have made more cuts on that bed frame than it took to build the exterior. On the plus side, every joint is a nice tight joint. I decided to use up some of the 3/4 inch OSB that I had purchased for the flooring. It is slightly heavier than wood (about 22% heavier by weighing similar size pieces with wood) but it was essentially free, since I already had it, so I went with it.

The cooler slides in the front and the rear section is accessed from outside the trailer.

Next task is cutting the plywood to section off the various compartments. I'd really like to hang out with a cabinet maker for a day and watch them work. I think that would be very educational. :)
NMMarauder
Gold Donating Member

New Build: A canned ham in foam

Postby K33 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:39 pm

NMMarauder wrote:If life would stop getting in the way of me having fun, I might make more progress on my trailer.

I'd really like to hang out with a cabinet maker for a day and watch them work. I think that would be very educational. :)

Cabinetmakers don't usually build frames, and then skin them. The cabinet carcass is plywood, and is at least as strong as a 'stick' frame. There may be some glue blocks, and nailing strips, but that's about it (not counting shelf cleats).
Make a plywood box, and then add a prebuilt face frame.

Trailer looks great.

I would worry most about skinning the inside with 1/4 inch, and the bunk top with 3/4. Prepaint the insides of the galley FIRST.

(Edit - skinning the FRONT of the bunk, ie the inside...) you could use 1/8th ", just make sure the cooler won't move much. Also, I wouldn't glue n screw all of it down. Leave yourself,a,way to get in there later, perhaps.
Last edited by K33 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K33
Teardrop Inspector

Postby OP827 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:57 am

NMMarauder wrote: ...Next task is cutting the plywood to section off the various compartments. I'd really like to hang out with a cabinet maker for a day and watch them work. I think that would be very educational. :)

NM, there are tons of good videos and tutorials on how to make cabinetry on youtube and various woodworking sites. But trailers interiors are usually not built the same way as I found it after I looked at how my Boler fiberglass trailer framing details(good to have some reference for consideration). It is usually somewhat lighter duty to save on weight. It is mostly SPF wood sticks and thin plywood stapled and glued together, just to be short in description. If you are concerned with increased weight like I am, I would consider thin plywood to separate the sections and just glue and staple them to your built bed frame, adding the plywood as structural membranes as shear panels will make the whole stick-built structure very rigid and strong even with a thinnest plywood. I personally went with 18mm x 27mm clear/select yellow pine tight grain sticks glued to 3mm baltic birch plywood for the benches, interior walls and bed framing. Once the frame is glued together, there is more than enough strength in the overall structure, unless you plan on something heavy to be transported inside, which does not seem to be your case. I built my kitchen island framing differently because I did it early, so it is more traditional, as a yellow birch hardwood front frame (18mmx38mm) and shaker side panels using yellow birch again for sticks and 1/4 baltic birch plywood for inserted panels. You are making good progress, it is a pleasure to watch and follow your build, very nice build. :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:42 am

It must be a social habit or the nesting syndrome that we’d want to fill an empty space up with furniture and cabinets ... Not to mention the extra weight , expense and complexity. :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby NMMarauder » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:16 pm

GPW, I agree with you. I like to backpack and I'm a big fan of traveling as light as possible. It's almost impossible to find a backpack that doesn't have a million pouches, compartments and zippers, all of which add the the weight and complexity. I think the same can be true of camp trailers.

That being said... I told my wife the only piece of furniture that was necessary for the trailer was the bed platform because it gives us back floor space. The curve of the trailer makes it so that the rear wall overhangs the floor by about 11 inches. With the bed platform, we get back that 11 inches. I said we would put it in first and then decide if we even wanted to put shelves, seating, etc.
NMMarauder
Gold Donating Member

Postby K33 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:48 pm

You will probably end up using the bed AS the seating, so if you go lighter then 3/4 on top, a few more framing members above the cooler side will keep the platform from drooping right there. (Or even glue some firring strips to the underside of the ply to act like ibeam style stiffeners.)
K33
Teardrop Inspector

Postby OP827 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:27 pm

GPW wrote:It must be a social habit or the nesting syndrome that we’d want to fill an empty space up with furniture and cabinets ... Not to mention the extra weight , expense and complexity. :thinking:

I agree with that being some sort of syndrome for nesting, but the trailer furniture in my particular build for example is actually required to structurally hold the walls together, :FNP . And it is also creating that feeling of more conventional home vs just a shelter. It is personal choice, some well trained humans can survive and camp w/o any trailer or shelter though :thinking:
OP827
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies