Silly Foamie Ideas

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:02 pm

Dad , if you're in the neighborhood , be sure to stop by for coffee... PM me for the details..

Angib , funny story ... those Scotsmen :roll: :lol: Really , anybody who has food based on a dare .... :o

Old joke ... a man goes up to a Scotsman and asks ..." What ya' got on under that kilt?" ... The Scotsman replied ... "shoes and socks"... hahaha
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby steve smoot » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi Tinksdad, that is a cool camper. I really hope someone builds it. It has a lot of room inside. I guess you can stand up in the middle, if you are short like me. I'm 5'-7". :applause:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:44 pm

All depends which part of the tube mounts to the floor as to the diameter of the tube and the resulting height ... Should be easy to kerf the foam , roll it into a tube ... or semi-tube ...
Wonder about combining some Vardo techniques with foam and canvas for a Hybrid type of construction ... Possibly some steam bent slats (hoops) .. several longitudinal stringers... foam and canvas over that You get the idea eh ??? Bet that would be incredibly strong , yet Light , like an aircraft fuselage ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby sandblaster » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:30 am

an old teacher (from 25 years ago) brought some tractor parts by last week for me to sandblast, and he was telling me about a product that he is using to restore airplanes instead of canvas. he said it is laid up with epoxy, and then it is ironed. which pulls all of the wrinkles out. he said his piper cub looks like glass now. it sounds like a good product for the can camper.

he is going to bring me some scraps, that he has left over, so i can play with them.

we looked it up in one of his catalogs and it is $3. 65 a yard. not too bad.
sandblaster
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:48 am

GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby sandblaster » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:05 am

that's it! what do you guys and gals think about that dacron?
sandblaster
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:17 am

Works for planes eh ??? trailers don't have to Fly !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby sandblaster » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:28 am

Bob says that he is always getting complements on the planes that he has used this on. he said it is slick, and it is easy to get all the wrinkles out. he said if you iron it too much it will bow the wings of planes, when the wrinkles pull out.

i'm looking forward to playing with the stuff.
sandblaster
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:25 am

We're looking forward to you playing with this stuff !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dusty82 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:57 am

My only aviation experience is with helicopters in the army, which were made out of aluminum, so I've never used any type of fabric on one. My question on the Dacron is at the bottom of the description it says, "NOT for use on certified aircraft." What does that mean? Does that mean it can't be used to repair an aircraft built by a manufacturer and therefore FAA certified? Does it mean an aircraft built using this material can't be certified? Something else entirely?

This looks like it might be "the stuff" to use to make the roof of the sheep wagon I want to build. I like the idea of using an iron to help handle wrinkles. Interesting subject, to say the least...
TV: 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport

Currently stuck in a tent.
Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:32 am

Dusty, you're talking about a 'sheep wagon' beside an avatar of yourself in a kilt ?
And we're supposed to politely let that go ?
:twisted:

Yeah, 'not for certified aircraft' means it's fine on homebuilds. Some glues are like that too. Shouldn't it read 'certificated' though ?

FYI, Dacron is also what sails are typically made out of. Old sails make great duffle bags because the stuff's so strong. Of course, the weight would make a big difference there too.

At the risk of straying too far OT, what was your experience in helis ?
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby sandblaster » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:40 am

i know that you have to have certifications to work on aircraft, and do different types of work., and this man has them. also has to be listed on the insurance policy of each aircraft. he said that he is on 40 something different policies.

anyway, unless someone is going to fly their foamie, it might work. we shall see.
sandblaster
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:40 am

Yup, you have to be endorsed on each type. The 'type' itself is the certification I'm talking about, since the aircraft's 'Type Certificate' is what identifies the aircraft type on paper. Amateur-built aircraft don't have a type certificate so they are not 'certificated'.
'Certified' is probably more of a colloquial reference - that's what I was asking about.

That said, I would have to mosey on over to the link but in general I'd trust what comes out of Spruce and Specialty. My wife says I'm not allowed to get their catalogs anymore...
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Conedodger » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:59 am

Maybe the FAA refers to the Foamie Application Authority

Think about it, Eagle's fly dont they, so maybe our moderator is the head of the FAA, :laughter:
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:15 pm

Guess you'd call that a "lift" instead of a Tow eh ??? Just have to watch when you step out in the morning ... :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies