Foamie Design ... Mike’s Weekender

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Foamie Design ... Mike’s Weekender

Postby ghcoe » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:58 pm

Probably still plenty light, but as you go taller you have more wind drag. Plus when you go taller you have more room for junk that can add weight real fast too.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:51 am

One consideration about building taller, wider.... It would seem best to maintain a ratio (~1:1) of height to width with the trailer and wheelbase... That way stability is assured... also like George says , you really must mind what you add to the upper parts of the trailer (weight) ... we tried to keep most of our weight as low as possible in the FS and it appears to work fine ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby kudzu » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:32 am

As mentioned, wind drag is a real factor with taller builds. It can add as much stress on the engine as weight. Really, once you get the weight in motion, initial acceleration, most smaller vehicles can easily keep weight in motion without a lot of trouble. Weight is a bigger factor in stopping, less so for towing. Wind drag though is a constant drag that can severely stress a little engine over time. So though the weight may be well within your vehicles listed range, wind drag could still cause real problems.

My TV actually has much worse aerodynamics than my trailer. The trailer itself, a folding design with lower roof line than the van, actually stabilizes the rig overall. My van is a lesson in what not to do aerodynamically. :lol:
kudzu
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies