Foamie Paddleboard ....

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Foamie Paddleboard ....

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:29 am

True huh ... :roll: Hope it’s been FUN for you !!! :D Been Fun for me!!!! :beer:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:31 pm

Just finished taking your pics. I'll upload them when I get home tonight
Hmmm...got a few ideas myself now...like I need another project!
:twisted:
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:50 pm

I don't see how you can stay dry... isn't is pretty much guaranteed that you are going to fall off?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:57 pm

W2 , Thanks ! Looking forward to seeing them ... :thumbsup:

Mike , I think it’s mainly for the young folks that don’t mind getting wet ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:11 pm

Mike, the owner of this board says it's drier than surfing, so take that for what it's worth...
It's supposed to be great exercise because you're using all your muscles constantly for balance...plus the paddling.
I wouldn't have anywhere near enough coordination to fish off of one...unless it's to jump off with a mask and a spear gun
:lol:
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:29 pm

More floating platform than boat ... I see they even sell wet suits for these ... seems appropriate huh ??? :R That and a life jacket .. :roll:
I made another drawing of the Masonite templates to cut the curve (rocker) into the foam ... seems easy with a hot wire ..
BTW , I notice a lot of these are made of EPS beadboard blocks with epoxy as an adhesive , or Urethane foam with a polyester resin (which won’t melt that foam ) ... Nice that beadboard works since I can get so much of it (cheap) ... Should work Fine on a Trailer too , same density as the Blu/ Pink stuff ... very little difference except in the sanding ... beadboard being a little more sensitive to tearing out the beads ... hand sanding all in one direction is advised ...
Got more to say , just too tired to say it . :goodnight:
Attachments
hotwire.png
hotwire.png (53.78 KiB) Viewed 522 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Alright, here we go...

The irregularity along the side is just shadow from the bag that's folded over the Laser beside and above it - it's not shark bite marks...What you can't see here is a seam that runs lengthwise down the bottom center of the board. Were it glassed, that seam would be invisible: I suspect it's probably wrapped and vac-formed like how they do cabinet doors.

I'll leave the rest of them full size for detail.
I'm guessing this is a handhold to make it easier to carry:

Overall length:

Width at the tail:

and the nose:

The widest point was 29 1/2" just forward of center but that pic didn't turn out.

Board thickness and rocker (nose and tail are sitting on dock):

Skeg
You can tell it's getting late in the year. Those pics were taken at noon: look at how long the shadows are. Anyone want to guess at my latitude ?

BTW, sorry about the parallax on the measuring tape. I can get more accurate numbers if you need them, but it will give you the general profile..

Thickness @ nose:

Thickness @ center:

Thickness @ tail:

One last shot of my 'office'... :D
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:02 am

Noon , with shadows like that .... Canada ??? :o

Nice Pics !!! Thanks ... :thumbsup: I’m still amazed how pricy these boards are ... Most are Twice what it took to build my entire Foamie trailer ... :shock: Amazing , since you can get a “sit on top” for far Less.. Fads ! grrrr!!! :twisted:

Did some calculating , and I think I can make a basic one , EPS and canvas for < 200USD Not counting labor and a Hazmat crew for the clean-up ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:50 am

GPW wrote:Of course I had to do a drawing ... just something simple for flat-water fishing .. ~40” wide for max stability (sans training wheels :lol: ) 12’ long , 6"-8” Thick ... “rocker” just hot wired in , rails just rounded , that’s it ... :o Or I guess I could glue several sheets of 2” foam together with GG and weight the center between two outer supports for some real “rocker”, then just cut it out... :thinking: Maybe just a simple canvas skin , No FG ...

I'm building my own design out of 1/4" plywood, 40" seems way to wide to me, the widest production SUP I know of is 36" and more than one person has complained about the reach to paddle that width. I'm building at 30 inches as I know that is plenty for me based on my plywood kayak with a 30 inch flat bottom, I can stand up and paddle it around all day, and it is only 8 feet long with both ends out of the water so it isn't as stable as a 12 or 14' board with most of that length in the water.
This summer I got to try a plastic ocean kayak http://www.oceankayak.com/Kayaks/Stand_ ... Nalu_12.5/ SUP in the surf, it was 30" wide but your feet were stuck in two grooves at about 24", I found it unstable in the waves since I couldn't spread my feet, but the guys who owned it said it was fine for flat water, they had been fishing off it the day before.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:25 am

Row, being an Old guy (64 next month) I’m more inclined to go for the most stable platform possible ... :thumbsup: too old for stand up paddling for a distance ... Wide, sit on an ice chest, would be better suited for me (fishing).. My thoughts for purpose are those Quiet lakes, streams , something to drag along on top the Foamie trailer :thinking: Around here shallow bayous and marsh areas provide a goodly amount of large Tasty Fish .. if you can get to them .. <12’ water... Don’t have to paddle far .. 8) Been fishing in shallow marshes since I was a kid (some time ago) , 16’ flat boat , had to keep an eye on the tide so we didn’t get stuck back there ... and then there’s the Gators :frightened: ( Like Bears up North :lol: )
For these young -un’s and just sporting around , they want 32” wide X 12’ long,, which should be very stable ... for them ... and then they don’t mind the swimming bit either..
Just from all the reading , seems like different boards do different things ... as far as paddling , stability and either flat or wave use ... I guess if you’re really Into it , you’d have several different boards, depending on varied usage .. :thinking:
Could get Pricy !!! :frightened: And then you need all those “accessories” too ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:52 am

Here's an idea of what I’d like for Fishing the quiet shallows ... FAT , all foam, board ,small ply transom for electric trolling motor ... Could still be Light , easy to carry , move about...Simple :thinking: 98091
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:12 am

Not to throw a wrench into the works, but it looks like a small pontoon boat might be the ticket for fishing. I've been wanting to do one for some time, but I'm not starting anything else until I get the trailer and rowboat done.

I drew up a pair of pontoons, about 12"X12"X8' with a 4'X6' deck. It breaks down into three pieces, each of which is light enough to carry easily to the water and assembled and (thanks to a longitudinal hinge line in the deck) can be carried on the roofrack of a small car. The deck is big enough for a couple folding chairs, a cooler, and fishing gear. At 50% immersion, I'll have about 500 lbs of bouyancy...with plenty of reserve thanks to flared sides on the pontoons so you can kneel at the edge to release the fish (or scoop him up with a short handled net) without the edge of the deck hitting the water.

As I see it, fishing off a paddleboard might be too much like work - between changing your rig, getting a fish on then having to stow the paddle before setting the hook, all while maintaining your balance on a platform that wants to send you for a swim...it sounds like too much to try and do at once. Of course it's JMHO though.

I like your older idea of big foam blocks glued together and a kayak carved out it...
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 am

Glenn,

How about a paddleboard with training wheels? i.e. a floatation device on each side. What do you call them? Outriggers?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:59 pm

You could make a simple outrigger from some PVC pipe and a large pool noodle ... That would be very Handy for fishing eh ! 8)

W2, Foam pontoons would almost be Too Easy ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:55 pm

The textured foot mat on that production board looks like it might be a key feature for traction. Maybe painted canvas would be lacking once everything is all wet.

re: PVC out riggers with foam pool noodles on kayaks. I've rowed one. Lots of drag. Slowed me down and made it a lot of work to get anywhere. Adjusting the height of the sponson could help, or curving the front of the noodle up so it does not plow. Anyway, I was out fishing with a buddy using his son's rig as a loaner, just once, kind of an experiment at the time. I was generally pleased with the stability, but there was room for improvement.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies