What wood size for extending bed off trailer for "foamie"

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: What wood size for extending bed off trailer for "foamie

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:52 am

Looks like you're off to a great start, JD. I started mine the same way: demo of a tired old tent trailer and extending the floor out past the frame.

As to your question about wood dimensions - I have extended my (SIP) floor 12" from the frame on either side. I have to rework it a bit (top skin is too light to prevent mechanical damage) but the cantilevered section of floor is plenty strong enough to span that. I have a 3/8" ACX ply bottom skin glued directly to the frame, 3/4" foam core(to be changed to 1"), and glassed 1/8" luan on top. The replacement top skin won't be any less than 1/4" to spread the loading enough that it doesn't compress the foam...lesson learned, lol.

JMHO, but if you are shooting for 1000lbs gross and building with a lot of wood, you might need to be a bit ruthless about weight. I'm building a standie (albeit slowly, lol) with the same weight target so I was shooting for the lightest, stiffest floor construction I could get. Remember that treated wood comes with a weight penalty as well. I'm encapsulating all the wood so I don't see an advantage worth the increased cost and weight...but (like Mary said) that's just the way I did mine.

You were also asking about marine bottom paint: NO !!!
Not only is it expensive, it is dangerous to apply because it's chock full of all kinds of nasty stuff. It also can't survive being exposed to the air: most formulations need to be in the water within 90 days or the coating hardens and becomes ineffective. It's meant to slough off over time, taking marine growth with it. Older formulations use cupric oxide (which also depletes over time) to create a surface toxic to marine growth. Bottom paint doesn't waterproof the hull - there's an epoxy barrier coat applied that goes on first to do that job - it just prevent growth from getting a foothold.

The spar urethane that you posted is one of the 'newer' replacements for varnish that GPW mentioned. I wouldn't bother with the expense for a trailer - 'the mix' is probably more effective in this role because it will penetrate deeper. You normally thin varnishes about 10% for the flood coat on bare wood, and 'the mix' is even thinner than that. If you want a true spar varnish, check out Epifanes or Pettit...but it ain't cheap.

Oh, and good job wading through the monster thread :applause: :applause:
When I joined the good folks here, I thought it was a pretty long but interesting read...and it was only 40-odd pages.
Lions, (frozen) turkeys and dogs, oh my !
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby JDHIV » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:32 pm

Wobbly Wheels wrote:Looks like you're off to a great start, JD. I started mine the same way: demo of a tired old tent trailer and extending the floor out past the frame.

As to your question about wood dimensions - I have extended my (SIP) floor 12" from the frame on either side. I have to rework it a bit (top skin is too light to prevent mechanical damage) but the cantilevered section of floor is plenty strong enough to span that. I have a 3/8" ACX ply bottom skin glued directly to the frame, 3/4" foam core(to be changed to 1"), and glassed 1/8" luan on top. The replacement top skin won't be any less than 1/4" to spread the loading enough that it doesn't compress the foam...lesson learned, lol.

JMHO, but if you are shooting for 1000lbs gross and building with a lot of wood, you might need to be a bit ruthless about weight. I'm building a standie (albeit slowly, lol) with the same weight target so I was shooting for the lightest, stiffest floor construction I could get. Remember that treated wood comes with a weight penalty as well. I'm encapsulating all the wood so I don't see an advantage worth the increased cost and weight...but (like Mary said) that's just the way I did mine.

You were also asking about marine bottom paint: NO !!!
Not only is it expensive, it is dangerous to apply because it's chock full of all kinds of nasty stuff. It also can't survive being exposed to the air: most formulations need to be in the water within 90 days or the coating hardens and becomes ineffective. It's meant to slough off over time, taking marine growth with it. Older formulations use cupric oxide (which also depletes over time) to create a surface toxic to marine growth. Bottom paint doesn't waterproof the hull - there's an epoxy barrier coat applied that goes on first to do that job - it just prevent growth from getting a foothold.

The spar urethane that you posted is one of the 'newer' replacements for varnish that GPW mentioned. I wouldn't bother with the expense for a trailer - 'the mix' is probably more effective in this role because it will penetrate deeper. You normally thin varnishes about 10% for the flood coat on bare wood, and 'the mix' is even thinner than that. If you want a true spar varnish, check out Epifanes or Pettit...but it ain't cheap.

Oh, and good job wading through the monster thread :applause: :applause:
When I joined the good folks here, I thought it was a pretty long but interesting read...and it was only 40-odd pages.
Lions, (frozen) turkeys and dogs, oh my !

A few Q's....and THANKS WW !! :worship: :worship:

1...All you did was glue that ACX ply down to the trailer metal???

2...Do you know the weight of that 3/8" ply in a 4x8 size?...I'll need the equivalent of 2 of them to do the base of the floor sandwich.

3...What type of 'mechanical damage' did less-than 1/4" top layer cause? flexing and compression of the foam?

4...So, overall your floor is just a 3/8" ply glued to the metal trailer "deck"..then to be 1" foam glued on top of that...and then at least 1/4" Ply glued (no screws between ply's?) on top and then some or all of that glassed??? That would eliminate my perceived need for 2x2's running across the trailer's metal X-members and/or having to add more 2x2's to make a full frame.

Am I missing something here in m Q#4???? The weight of the camper structure and stuff inside didn't cause flexing of this frame? even at 12" of cantilever?

5....did you seal any of the ply layers and did you leave any surface of the wood UNtreated so you could later glue the canvas under and to it to finish connecting the walls to the floor? How did you encapsulate this whole floor sandwich (sip?/ sort of torsion box)? I'd assume the bottom ply (ACX) was more protected since it is exposed to the road??

6...I'll take your advice and go with simple and cheap "mix" and not go with nasty paints and such!

Sorry for the barrage.......Too many things I don't fully understand and I'm itching to get started! ....and I read through a lot (for me) of the BIG thrifty thread...but way more that I haven't yet.
JDHIV
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JDHIV » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:35 pm

JMHO, but if you are shooting for 1000lbs gross and building with a lot of wood, you might need to be a bit ruthless about weight.

In addition to my 5 or so Q's above..................how do you become "ruthless with the weight" ???

Thanks again! :?
JDHIV
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pchast » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:38 pm

You pay attention to everything you add. You trim framing, oh maybe a 1/4 inch more...
Weigh everything you can as you build. Minimal extras and weigh that too.

I've struggled with the thought and decided not to get that intense.
:)

A torsion floor can be made of 2 sheets of 1/4 and a 1x2" internal grid.
That's verrrrry light and real stiff. I made a table that way once with a
1 ft center grid that worked nicely.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby JDHIV » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:41 pm

pchast wrote:You pay attention to everything you add. You trim framing, oh maybe a 1/4 inch more...
Weigh everything you can as you build. Minimal extras and weigh that too.

I've struggled with the thought and decided not to get that intense.
:)

A torsion floor can be made of 2 sheets of 1/4 and a 1x2" internal grid.
That's verrrrry light and real stiff. I made a table that way once with a
1 ft center grid that worked nicely.

Thanks Pchast! I just replied to your other answers to me in my other thread...so, thank you!!!! :applause:

Can a torsion floor be made of 3/8" bottom Ply, a layer of 1.75" of foam, then topped by a 1/4 ply that is on top of an outer rectangular frame of 2x2's (actually 1.75" high)..............basically, can the foam take the place of an internal grid...or SOMEthing light but up on its side has to help support the weight that will be kneeling and crawling around on top of it???

Thanks!

_John
JDHIV
Teardrop Advisor

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:42 pm

Sorry I haven't been here to welcome you to the fomie section til now. Just been busy with other things this year. So

Welcome to the foamie section! As you can see, if you post a question it will get answered.
Looking forward to your build. :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:18 pm

JDHIV wrote:1...All you did was glue that ACX ply down to the trailer metal???

I sanded down the frame and used PL construction adhesive and clamped it with carriage bolts through the same holes that the original pop-up body was held on with. They are redundant now but will serve as a mechanical backup to the adhesive. They pass through wood blocking in the floor to keep them from distorting the foam.

2...Do you know the weight of that 3/8" ply in a 4x8 size?...I'll need the equivalent of 2 of them to do the base of the floor sandwich.

I've been using 32# for 3/8" and 25# for 1/4". Call your supplier since that varies with species (but not by much). There are also calculators online, like this and this.

3...What type of 'mechanical damage' did less-than 1/4" top layer cause? flexing and compression of the foam?

The foam is dented in the traffic areas so the bond between foam and skin has 'popped'. My plan depends on getting as close to 100% contact area as possible, so it needs to be fixed. I could drill a hole, inject a bunch of epoxy and clamp it, but replacing is a better idea in this case. A thicker panel will spread the loading out over a larger area of foam, and higher density foam will take that compression better. A big mistake I made was using beadboard (Korolite) instead of wall board (pink/blue)...I ignored the little voice in the back of my head that was screaming nooooooo, lol.

4...So, overall your floor is just a 3/8" ply glued to the metal trailer "deck"..then to be 1" foam glued on top of that...and then at least 1/4" Ply glued (no screws between ply's?) on top and then some or all of that glassed???...

Yep. Latex contact cement will give me the surface area I need and I'll probably rig up a vacuum bag to squish it all together. I have temporary formers inside right now that maintain the panels' position so I need to get those out before I can deal with the floor...but I need the walls glassed together before I can pull them. Then I can lift the shell off the floor as a unit and sit it beside the trailer while I rework the floor.

...That would eliminate my perceived need for 2x2's running across the trailer's metal X-members and/or having to add more 2x2's to make a full frame.

I'm not saying "do" or "don't", just that I didn't. Loading up the cantilevered edges with pavers showed me I didn't need to on mine. Most folks are using a single layer of ply for the floor instead of a SIP, so I think it's a good idea in that case.

The weight of the camper structure and stuff inside didn't cause flexing of this frame? even at 12" of cantilever?

I don't recall the amount of weight I cantilevered out there, but it was overkill IMO. I used all the pavers and cinder blocks I had, a bunch of 5gal water cans, etc and didn't measure any deflection at all by crawling under it with a level and a tape measure. I stopped when I started getting concerned the thing was going to tip over onto me :lol:

5....did you seal any of the ply layers and did you leave any surface of the wood UNtreated so you could later glue the canvas under and to it to finish connecting the walls to the floor? How did you encapsulate this whole floor sandwich (sip?/ sort of torsion box)? I'd assume the bottom ply (ACX) was more protected since it is exposed to the road??

I'm not using any canvas to cover mine, it's all glass and epoxy like Mel (atahoekid) did. Once all the glasswork is done, the structure will be basically and egg within an egg, held a fixed distance apart. I figure I'll use a hard undercoat underneath and on the rocker panels to protect the epoxy from road spray but I'm nowhere near that stage yet.

6...I'll take your advice and go with simple and cheap "mix" and not go with nasty paints and such!

The marine stuff is a lot to spend for no real benefit but, like everything else coming outta my yap, it's JMHO.

how do you become "ruthless with the weight" ???

Pete (pchast) nailed that one, except that I am getting that intense, lol. My build thread is a lot of foam-fevered stream-of-consciousness rambling, but some of the specifics are in there. It's all about weight vs benefit.
I'm happy just to be out camping but my wife is new to camping so I'm building to her comfort level rather than mine. To that end, it had to be a standie with a head and galley and under 1000lb (or as close as I can get). When I say 'ruthless about weight', it's to make sure every decision is made with that in mind, otherwise the weight will inevitably creep up. If I can't tow it with my 4cyl Ranger, I've failed...
To wit: the difference in weight between 1/4" and 3/8" top skins is going to be around 20 lbs...so I'll go with 1/4" and put that 20 lbs 'into the bank'...but not if 3/8" is needed to get the job done.

I'm not sure what you mean by "2x4's butted up perpendicularly against the frame"

I think he's referring to essentially replacing what you've cut away. If it's tight to the frame and glued/screwed into the floor above, you would have to 'stretch' the ply over the frame for it to deflect. The butt edge of the 2X4 is trying to twist the frame itself as it comes under load...which it can't do.

That big thread is a bit of a monster but it's well worth the read :thumbsup:
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby JDHIV » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:59 pm

WOW T H A N K S !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:worship: 8) :D :thumbsup: :applause:
JDHIV
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:19 pm

No sweat, didn't mean to write a book tho... :lol:

3/8" bottom Ply, a layer of 1.75" of foam, then topped by a 1/4 ply that is on top of an outer rectangular frame of 2x2's

That's essentially the same thing I did, with the weaknesses I found in mine.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:00 am

A good floor is essential on a Foamie , it’s the transition between foam and steel ... Kind of hard to beat the old 3/4” Plywood floor .. but all plywood doesn’t weigh the same , some is pretty light .. I don’t think you save that much weight for the effort with a SIP... but you do get an insulated floor ... which can be nice for that aspect , if you need it ... JMHO

Ps. as per usual , any plywood or wood should be treated in some way to help make it waterproof ... "the Mix" , Not "pressure treated" lumber...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby JDHIV » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:18 am

GPW wrote:A good floor is essential on a Foamie , it’s the transition between foam and steel ... Kind of hard to beat the old 3/4” Plywood floor .. but all plywood doesn’t weigh the same , some is pretty light .. I don’t think you save that much weight for the effort with a SIP... but you do get an insulated floor ... which can be nice for that aspect , if you need it ... JMHO

Ps. as per usual , any plywood or wood should be treated in some way to help make it waterproof ... "the Mix" , Not "pressure treated" lumber...

Thanks! :D

Is "The Mix" good enough for the undercoating of the part of the floor that will face down towards the road???

also, I have changed my mind and will now be building a TTT that is based on a full sized pickup truck cap like OHBUGGER did...............do any of the flooring suggestions change now that I'm going to build something to mimic the truck-bed for the cap to sit on???

_John

:thinking:
JDHIV
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JDHIV » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:19 am

pps: I asked about "The mix" as a bottom coating as I don't want to use roofing tar / black goop..........any suggestions?

thanks again!
_J
JDHIV
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:04 am

If you apply enough to do the job (seal the wood ) :thumbsup: .. The black roofing cement is more a Traditional thing , like undercoating a car ... Not entirely necessary , if the bottom materials are well sealed and protected... but a good idea for helping prevent rock damage .. no rocks , no worry ..
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:57 pm

You can use truck bed liner instead of the roofing tar. It will cost more, but will do the job nicely.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:14 pm

you could use what I used, the white stuff they put on the roofs of aluminum trailers, You can purchase two types one has aluminum in it do not get it with aluminum or metal in it Get the plain white one. It is thick and after you coat it really well go back and coat over it especially in the cracks between the woods I gave mine two coats.

WW and bears. OH my !!!

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies