Planning my foamie

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Planning my foamie

Postby jseyfert3 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:45 pm

FWIW, my angle grinder is model 91223, the 4.5" Chicago Electric Power Tools model. It was orange with a black switch and a silver blade guard at the time. All cosmetic things though. I'm guessing like most things that bad QC makes them hit or miss. Some may die after an hour or two of use, some may last forever.

You can get the $12 one. If it works for the trailer, you said you had no other plans for it, right? Cheap, use, save for the exception to those plans or give it back to your buddy. :thumbsup:
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:17 am

Foamies are about being Thrifty .... If you’re young , get a better tool that will last a few years ... Since I’m Old , I just get the cheap ones lately and they work fine for the intended job ...
Ps. Foamies are addictive too ... You’ll be building the one and thinking about the next one ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:34 pm

Also there is a Northern Tool on 95th street over by Sam's club if you want to see how their prices compare.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:56 pm

Bought my snowthrower at that Northern! I went with the 12.99 after coupon one and used the 20% on a pack of cut off wheels. Hope to cut into it again tomorrow!
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Harbor Freight grinder burnt up on the 3rd cut.....sigh
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:20 pm

Are you pushing them too hard? You need to let the rpm stay up. If you bog them they will burn up due to high electrical draw.

Use a grinding wheel (approx. 1/4 thick) for grinding on the flat side of the wheel, and a thin (approx. 0.040 thk) cutting wheel for straight plunging cuts. Don't force it, let the wheel spin and cut. :lol:

That said, I have no experience with these cheaper tools. When I buy a tool I expect it to last, so spend the appropriate amount.

My Black and Decker (Sears) has served me well for years of major projects interspersed between long idle times; and the Milwaukee's and Ridgids we have at work seem to last.

My friend Karl has had good luck with Makitas in constant use.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:52 pm

I used the 20% off coupon I printed (again) and upgraded to rhw next model for 2 bucks. The better model and figuring out what I was doing did the trick. I cut grinded and now touched up with primer! Time to finalize my flooring ideas!
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1390769528816.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1390769528816.jpg (111.53 KiB) Viewed 298 times
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:43 pm

Nice looking trailer now !!!! Ready to build ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks! I went to home depot tonight and ended up buying 6 8 ft 1x4s off the clearance rack for 5$. They are warped bad on one end but I plan to cut it off and rip into 1x1s and box them up into 3 flooring sections I can drop in and attach together with 7/16 osb on top and some ply on bottom with 1 inch foam in the middle. Any suggestions on a ply 1/4 or less in thickness that would make a sturdy sealable bottom layer? 5mm underlinment was pretty cheap but not sure of the durability to resist moisture and or apply sealant. Any suggestions are welcome.
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:10 pm

I'm very happy with quality on my 5 mm Okoume marine ply from Noah's, but beware, they bait and switch on the pricing on their website.

Still a good deal, but a flim-flam to get your business.

I think if you seal the luan underlay very well (epoxy) you may be able to fight off the dreaded delam, and you may be able to get away with the cheap underlay that is available at the big box stores.

Time will tell.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:25 pm

I wish I could find some polyethylene sheet at a reasonable price locally.
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:15 am

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-1-4- ... 5yc1vZbqm7

Anyone have any thoughts on this for my flooring?
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:39 am

I always wonder what “Moisture Resistant” really means ... “Resistance is futile !!! “ :roll: The very nature of the wood as used makes it susceptible to moisture intrusion over time ... I’m liking good OSB products much better lately ... Cheaper too ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:37 am

I used 1/4" subfloor for my sandwich walls. Early on l threw a small scrap of it in a bucket of water. Two weeks later it had not delaminated. None the less, I encapsulated the exterior with epoxy before covering with aluminum.

I found the subfloor to be a much better quality than AC and cheaper.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi Jayhawk,

i'm just catching up with you're thread. i pretty much hadn't visited this forum since before Christmas. At any rate, a couple of thoughts after reading your thread. 1) I absolutely urge you to either scale model, draw to scale or layout your design before you start building. You're dealing with a small space, so every 1/2" here or there becomes critical. 2) I agree with GPW. If you're still pretty young, invest in the best tools you can afford to buy. I'm in my later 50's and still follow my dads advice about buying the best tools you can afford. Cheap tools break and don't do what they should. If you're older and don't have offspring to hand the tools down to' buy an inexpensive tool that will still do the job right. I think KC's?? advice regarding letting the tool do the work is well taken with all tools especially power tools. Forcing tools wears them out and creates inaccuracies. Good Luck on your build!!! I built on a reclaimed frame and let my floors overhang the frame rails by a couple inches. No water issues but I really made sure the seam where frame met floor was nice and watertight. Looking forward to seeing your build progress.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies