BEULA - a foam Winter Warrior with aero front

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: BEULA - a foam Winter Warrior with aero front

Postby cpowell243 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:15 pm

a F/U question:
My lower wall is a combination of 3/4" plywood and 3/4" pine boards. The inside has 3/4" polystyrene glued to the wood to create a 1 1/2" wall. The interior poly wall will be covered with canvas.
My question is the exterior wall:
I ran canvas underneath the floor along the back wall and left extra material to cover the rear wall once in place. Is it necessary to cover the wood with canvas or is the wood OK just painted as is?
Th - Ch
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:26 pm

Best to provide something more than just paint to stabilize the wood fibers. Go with the canvas.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:36 pm

KCStudly wrote:Best to provide something more than just paint to stabilize the wood fibers. Go with the canvas.

+1 I think so, too. You could go with some epoxy or TBII, followed by paint; but, the more you do, the better chance it has of lasting longer.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:36 am

Looks like your doing good Charlie. I have that same short wall on both of the Ww I built. the top back wall should hinge just inside of the short wall. Keep up the great work. :)

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby cpowell243 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:29 pm

Gary,
I think what saved me was the longer hatch than your WW, which made the gap smaller because the angle is more acute. Could go longer with hatch because hatch weight is negligible (vs. plywood).
My plan is to hinge at the top and fold up so I can swing the galley around to the back position. Was thinking I could place some foam molding on top of the hinge so it would compress when the hinge is folded and sit on top of the back wall when the hinge is open and the top meets the lower wall.between the hinge.
Thanks for staying with me. I just started working on the ceiling pieces - using your bedsheet idea vs. painting - that will sit between the spars, then another 3/4" layer on top of the spars. Then canvas the hatch and attach with hinge. Then the upper wall -the technical part.
Ch
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:16 am

Something we found out when covering wood with canvas ..... make Darn sure the canvas is completely wetted with glue ( or paint ) on the inner side where it contacts the wood , or unsealed fibers may rot later on from microscopic leaks .. All this work is Simple , but Must be done Carefully ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby cpowell243 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:49 pm

Will do and thanks. Do you recommend adding a layer of TBII as a top coat after gluing canvas to the wood?
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:58 pm

Have you treated the wood with the Mix? Don't subsitute TBII for the mix, Treat the wood generously with the mix then after several coats and dry then coat the canvas well with TBII and press on. Don't wait to paint go ahead and get it totally ready for your primer. You are doing Great!!! Don't get rushed.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cpowell243 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:47 pm

Mary,
Thanks - didn't realize you used the mix first. Or that you can paint while glue still wet.
Ch
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:33 am

CPO, around here it rains all the time so we do everything we can to keep the water OUT of our favorite things :rainy: ... We have used "the mix" on many other projects involving wood , and it has really increased the useful lifespan of wooden things we’ve made. :thumbsup: It soaks deep in to the wood grain , blocking all those little cellulose tubes preventing water and bacterial intrusion , swelling and subsequent rot . We have painted over many of these projects with both Oil and Acrylic Latex paints ... no troubles !!! ;)

Like Mary said , paint the mix on your wood , and let it DRY well . Then use the TB2 to adhere the fabric to the wood. Let that DRY !!! Then , if you’re using a really Thick canvas ( we used 18 oz. ) a thinned coat of TB2 over the canvas is a good “sizing coat” in preparation for priming and paint, the idea to also encapsulate the fabric fibers , much the same way the Mix does to the wood ... For Primer and paint , it’s ALWAYS best to READ THE CAN and see what the manufacturer recommends as to drying and re-coat times. etc... It’s all written on the can for your convenience ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby cpowell243 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:04 pm

Good deal - you guys are great. Hatch is now built and ready for covering. Will work on the rear wall and hatch tomorrow. Pics Sunday night.
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby cpowell243 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:28 pm

For those following - pics will have to wait - a 60 mph gust blew out my rear gate - you guys have rain, we have wind. No time for Beula today but back at it tomorrow
Ch
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby cpowell243 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:01 pm

More things in the way but will finally get to painting the hatch and hope to install tomorrow.
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby cpowell243 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:46 pm

Just a quick note to explain - problems attaching the hatch with the living hinge and decided to order a wider hinge. Haveto wait for it to arrive to move forward.
Started working on the rear wall, which is complex given the fold-back and fold-up design. Prgoress slow - working two jobs and time is in short supply.
Stay with me - I won't quit on this.
Ch
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:43 am

I know how it goes. Have the same problem with my build. We'll be watching......Image
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies