BEULA - a foam Winter Warrior with aero front

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: BEULA - a foam Winter Warrior with aero front

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:24 am

Living hinge ...? You guys know how to make a canvas hinge ... ??? it’s simple ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby cpowell243 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:26 pm

I wondered about using canvas but hadn't seen anyone use it for a hinge. My travel is only 15-20 degrees so it seems any flexible material would work. Unfortunately, already ordered a MacMaster-Carr harsh weather hinge - to the tune of $80 - so guess I'll go with that. Still working the on rear wall and making progress as time allows.
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:42 am

Here’s my idea , based on years and years of making plastic film hinges for my Foam airplanes ... :thumbsup:
Attachments
canvas hinge .png
canvas hinge .png (55.44 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby cpowell243 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:12 pm

Thanks Glen - living hinge just arrived and seems like the safest option.
Here's where we stand:
Built hatch by cutting panels, gluing bedsheet to the underside of each panel, then attaching panels to the rabbited spars, which were already attached to the walls with metals L-brackets and GS.
[img]136913[/img]

Hatch removed to attach 3/4" aluminum U-channel to stabilize the polystyrene and create positive surface to mount molding.

[img]136911[/img
Then added plastic molding to the main body, again to stablize the 1" poly - did I mention all the comments I have received about the Wyoming wind?

[img]136910[/img]

Using this stuff bought at HD:

[img]136912[/img]

Then attached molding to the bottom of the hatch using:

[img]136914[/img]

To create:

[img]136919[/img]

Now I work on the hinge. Plan is to use 3" living hinge with a bicycle inner tube underneath to seal and aluminum strips on top to prevent dimpling of the plastic (based on my reading of living hinge info):

[img]136915[/img]

[img]136916[/img]

Feedback welcome, as always.
Charlie
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:44 am

Moving right along !!! :thumbsup: That hinge looks interesting !!! :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi Charlie,
I have some feedback on the hinge.
I have no experience with such vinyl hinge, but do you think it is strong enough for the hatch weight to not cause it wear/distort prematurely?

Since you are using the rubber strip for weather seal, then a usual stainless steel hinge would also work?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby cpowell243 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:52 pm

THanks for question and following my thread. The rubber would've worked with a steel hinge, but I thought the living hinge would make things certain. The weight rating of this hinge says it should manage over 10x the weight of my hatch (or more) which, while I haven't weighed it, I'm guessing weighs in at around 60 lbs I ordered the MacMaster-Carr hinge rated for extreme weather conditions. It's pretty stout. Install is Saturday after I finally bolt the body to the trailer base.
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:31 pm

Wow, I did not know that this vinyl hinge would be that strong, so it is rated then at approx. 600lbs (if 10 times of 60lbs) load for its whole span/length?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby cpowell243 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:27 pm

Madjack researched the load-baering capacity of the McMaster-Carr hinge and says (in 2012):
"at a weight rating of 100#s per inch for the 2", I can't imagine needing anything wider."
That would give me a maximum load of 7,200 lbs. Don't know about that, but seems like 60 lbs should be ok. More worried about the 2X2 splitting first.
Ch
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:00 am

Morning Charlie

I don't know much about the heavier living hinges. I used a cheap lighter one on the old trap door on WW2 and it started to show signs of wear after 3 yrs. but it was a cheap ebay version. My hatch has a 6' piano hinge that I salvaged from a house trailer I was helping to tear down about 8 yrs ago. I covered it on the outside with some collapsible vinyl irrigation hose I got from a local farm supply store. My hatch is alot heavier than yours though. My main concern with a vinyl hinge would be winter camping. Plastic gets brittle when it gets cold and tends to break easier. If you don't winter camp, which I don't any more, that won't be a problem.

Keep up the good work. What you done so far looks great.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby starleen2 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:43 am

OP827 wrote:Hi Charlie,
I have some feedback on the hinge.
I have no experience with such vinyl hinge, but do you think it is strong enough for the hatch weight to not cause it wear/distort prematurely?

Since you are using the rubber strip for weather seal, then a usual stainless steel hinge would also work?

That's what I did with the Ladybug. After a long search for a suitable seal – the answer was right under my garage door – the seal that is. I found that the seal that seals the bottom of a garage door is perfect for the top hinge and side seals. It has UV protection, remains pliable, and meant for constant use. I used it cover over the hinge and sealed the edges with aluminum strips

I guess any good hinge would work if you are planning on covering it with a rubber memebrane :roll:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby cpowell243 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:01 pm

I was planning to put my rubber underneath the hinge to seal the hinge/body contact point, but you both have me thinking maybe better to place on top. I too was concerned about cracking in the cold, since mine will be outside in below zero temps, but this one is rated for -40 degrees

from McMaster-Carr site:
Harsh Environment Plastic Piano Hinges without Holes
Made of polyolefin plastic to resist salt water, oil, solvents, extreme temperatures, and UV rays. Hinges have rigid leaves and a flexible center for smooth, silent operation. Mount on the surface of doors and frames with adhesive or fasteners. Hinges can be cut with a box cutter or razor. All are for indoor and outdoor use. The full range of motion is 280°. Temperature range is -40° to 180° F.
Ch[/b]
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby cpowell243 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:27 pm

Finally some progress on Beula. Hatch is on. Design requires a total of 10 panels:
Rear wall is 3 folding panels on the lower left side, a lower right side panel, upper left and upper right panels, and upper and lower door panels.
I also have a door on each side, for a total of 10. Building the panels a slow process that involves a frame built with furring strips, filled with 2 layers of 3/4" polystyrene, then canvassed. Then filling, sanding, painting... you all know the drill.
I have all rear panels built except the upper door, which has a window.
Will be installing the upper right and upper left panels tomorrow, hinged so they fold up, then installing door hardware for the lower rear door panel, then build/install the upper door panel before moving on to the side doors. Should have some pics of hinge and rear wall tomorrow night.
Charlie
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby cpowell243 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:27 pm

Finally some progress on Beula. Hatch is on. Design requires a total of 10 panels:
Rear wall is 3 folding panels on the lower left side, a lower right side panel, upper left and upper right panels, and upper and lower door panels.
I also have a door on each side, for a total of 10. Building the panels a slow process that involves a frame built with furring strips, filled with 2 layers of 3/4" polystyrene, then canvassed. Then filling, sanding, painting... you all know the drill.
I have all rear panels built except the upper door, which has a window.
Will be installing the upper right and upper left panels tomorrow, hinged so they fold up, then installing door hardware for the lower rear door panel, then build/install the upper door panel before moving on to the side doors. Should have some pics of hinge and rear wall tomorrow night.
Charlie
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:51 am

So good it’s worth saying twice ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies