FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:51 am

The trick I have found, but is not mentioned any place else that I have seen is that every correction you make will need to be canceled out. And probably before you realize it. After I figured this out it became easier for me.

Where do I put my hands? On the steering wheel of course. 8)

But seriously I have been backing up trailers since I was about 10 years old when I was driving pipe trailers on the farm so many things like that is 2nd nature to me. Backing up a 5th wheel is easy peasy.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Shar » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:08 am

Taking notes on all this "backing up" lore!
And Bonnie, on another subject, what happened to BUB? Sorry to see things didn't work out somehow. :o
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby bonnie » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:31 pm

Shar wrote:Taking notes on all this "backing up" lore!
And Bonnie, on another subject, what happened to BUB? Sorry to see things didn't work out somehow. :o

I was at across roads -- the cost to put BUB on the road with a new frame/tongue and walls was more than I could or wanted to afford. Nookery came along just at the right moment and as I told GPW while we were discussing the sale, I really, really just wanted to camp. Nookery allows me to do that and in great style. :applause:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:31 pm

Bonnie , I’m so Happy for you :dancing ... as you have seen I’m rather "Large frame" and didn’t fit too well in the Nookery ... But you’re a perfect size for it , and it for you... 8) I know you’ll appreciate the Lightness of it , easy to handle and move around the yard if you have to ... Did it burn much extra gas towing it ... ? It did have a rather small profile behind that Big Truck of yours (noticed that as you were leaving .) ... Figured it wouldn’t be out in the wind much ... less drag ... :thinking:

Too bad about the Bub, but just write that off as a learning experience... (I’ve had Many learning experiences :oops: ) But you still have a good axle, wheels and tongue bar ... Another project for later ... ;)

You asked about a sealant ... We tried 3M 5200 Marine sealant on the FS , and it sticks like CRAZY :o , seals everything ... takes several days to cure , but what ever you use it on, it isn’t going anywhere... Good Stuff!! , even in our Humidity and frequent rain ...... a bit pricy to use just around the AC door ... Maybe you can share it with someone else ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:39 pm

GPW wrote:Bonnie , I’m so Happy for you :dancing ... as you have seen I’m rather "Large frame" and didn’t fit too well in the Nookery ... But you’re a perfect size for it , and it for you... 8) I know you’ll appreciate the Lightness of it , easy to handle and move around the yard if you have to ... Did it burn much extra gas towing it ... ? It did have a rather small profile behind that Big Truck of yours (noticed that as you were leaving .) ... Figured it wouldn’t be out in the wind much ... less drag ... :thinking:

I actually improved my gas mileage. Went from around 18 to 19 mpg. Doesn't sound like much, but every little bit helps! 8)

Too bad about the Bub, but just write that off as a learning experience... (I’ve had Many learning experiences :oops: ) But you still have a good axle, wheels and tongue bar ... Another project for later ... ;)

True enough. It's really a nice axle. Needs cleaned up and painted. I think it would make a great chuck box axle.

You asked about a sealant ... We tried 3M 5200 Marine sealant on the FS , and it sticks like CRAZY :o , seals everything ... takes several days to cure , but what ever you use it on, it isn’t going anywhere... Good Stuff!! , even in our Humidity and frequent rain ...... a bit pricy to use just around the AC door ... Maybe you can share it with someone else ... :thinking:

Well, I'll look into it. Since the AC door is going on the front of the Nookery, I want to make danged sure it doesn't leak or fall out. :) Do you think a one oz tube would be enough?
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:19 pm

OOPS DP !!! :?
Last edited by GPW on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:24 pm

One once .. probably not :o ... I’ve only seen it in the cartridge (caulk gun) size... :thinking: Oops ...now we see a 3oz. size , that might do it ... but the cartridge works out lots cheaper if you have a use for All of it... I just hate to have stuff go bad in the tube ... grrrrr!!! :duh: I’d also get the slow cure type rather than the fast cure ... Slow cure usually means a stronger bond overall .. “usually” ... and it’s what I used , so can vouch for it ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:02 am

GPW I am trying to catch up and not sure I am getting this right, but did you sell your first foamie? to Bonnie? Must fill me in.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:25 am

Eagle , Yes ... long story .... sad to see it go , but Glad Bonnie got it !!! Mixed emotions ... Painted different now , like a mini Foamstream ...and I got a chance to make a few improvements before it left ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:35 pm

Starting to miss the little trailer .... Look outside in the morning , and it’s Gone ... :o
Keep intending on getting the FS stamped , but every time I’m ready , it rains .... :rainy: ... and naturally they don’t do that on rainy days ..... curious , because on the last one , the officer never left his desk ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:16 pm

eaglesdare wrote:GPW I am trying to catch up and not sure I am getting this right, but did you sell your first foamie? to Bonnie? Must fill me in.

I virtuously helped keep marital peace twix GPW and his beloved. I gained a wonderful little trailer, which I can camp in immediately. I was thrifty, because it cost much less to drive to NOLA and purchase the Nookery than it would have to finish out BUB. *AND* I got to see GPW's bird pictures and other art in person. The photographs do not do justice at all! 8)

I am going to mount a door for the AC and put a handle on the door and I can camp! :P :P
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Shar » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:33 pm

You go, Bonnie! :applause:
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby atahoekid » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:14 pm

Ned B wrote:I hauled my 5th wheel for three years using that method... another good method is to 'steer towards trouble'... which my instructors taught when I got my CDL. They meant turn the Top of the wheel towards the 'problem' in your mirror, which will turn the trailer away from the problem.

In effect the same advice but might be even easier to remember and execute! It's sometimes hard to remember to steer from the bottom of the wheel. Thanks for that one!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Olddog1 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:06 pm

Whew! 171 pages spread over a few days. What an informative and enlightening read. Thank you GPW and all others that contributed to this thread.
Another 'old' new guy here who is seriously questioning his sanity. Especially after dropping $1500.00 + this week to replace an 8 year old AC in our 32' fifth wheel just to spend that much again just to get to and back home from Maine this summer. I could have built a foamie for less and then to read that you spent just over a hundred for an AC from WM. :cry: :( :x Going to just have to bite the bullet and continue on with this summers plans but have already started on the plans to rectify a ridiculous situation.
My new mantras,
thriftiness
and
stick to the plan
. It will not be a TD or TTT, I also have a SWMBO of 41 years who has her ideas of a minimal living space for our 4 to 5 months of summering in Maine, but it will be a lot less than this behemoth we're hauling around now with an F250 diesel with fuel cost @ $4.00/gal. and rising. I have experience with building houses, boats and canoes and realized that foam construction would be a piece of cake. A lot of work but nothing as complicated as a strip planked canoe. During my early lurking the thoughts were leaning toward a strip planked travel trailer and had even drawn some sketches of the forward end of a SP upside down canoe 8'x 20' and then I found the Foamstream. A SP Foamstream would be a thing of beauty but there are only so many pages left in my ledger. I've already started putting out feelers for some of the necessities but not much will done until the fall and still have some convincing of SWMBO. Showing her the Foamstream and telling her it cost less to build than the cost of the AC replacement seemed to bring out that little wrinkle between the eyebrows and that little tip of the head. Wish me well.

Lamar

Did notice that this thread tended to revolve around weather.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bonnie » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:44 pm

Weather and ballast. :lol:
Welcome to the board and foamies. Great fun they are. One way to keep the discussion building is to visit any gatherings near you. Happy trails.
bonnie
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies