FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby tony.latham » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:03 am

kept water in the area causing even the tough OSB to swell and lose some fibers

GPW:

Would you use OSB again?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:26 am

OSB , yes , I would just do a better job of coating it with the mix .... I had thought the glue and paint would do the job , but it’s just so darn wet around here , water manages to find it’s way into Everything .... :frightened: I blame myself for not think it out and adding a drip edge to divert the water away from the bottom... Hey, nobody’s PERFEKT!!! :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:35 am

Just a note : Had I used the type of OSB the trailer manufacturers use , It would all have turned to Oatmeal long ago ... :frightened: (there’s good OSB , and cheap crap OSB) After two years living outside the FoamStream is doing pretty well with just this minor error (on my part) .... After 2 years the Jayco trailer we bought was delaminating on the walls ,leaking windows (dry fit) and the floor had gone soft ,and the unused- refrigerator didn’t work ... basically it was falling apart ... despite the extra money we’d put into ”preventative maintenance” at the dealers recommendation ... :roll:
So I’m still Happy , and we have a chance to prevent other folks in WET climates from having future problems ... The more we learn , the better off we all are ... :thumbsup: 8) ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:50 am

OK, just when I thought we’d have a patch of dry weather , well NO :rainy: ... So I put on the temporary drip edge in the hopes it will allow the bottom to dry out naturally , till I can either stick a fan on it or find a garage space (with a big door) to work on it in a dry state ... This will be a test of the supposedly superior Gorilla Tape , it does seem tough and sticky , I overlapped it onto some Aluminum duct tape , and stuck it over the suspect areas.... Then went back and rubbed it down really well, just to make sure .... The aluminum protruded about an inch under the floor level so all water “should" just keep on going straight to the ground avoiding the floor entirely ... another test ... :thinking: You can see all the old wetted canvas we pulled off the bottom (on the ground) ... The back flat areas are already drying on their own , but a few are not as yet ...

Ps, actually I kinda’ like the way that looks and may seek to install something like that all around... Certainly can’t hurt eh ??? :roll:
Attachments
tempdrip.jpg
tempdrip.jpg (202.24 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:54 am

Checked this morning and the rudimentary drip edge was working , water running all the way down the face and off into the ground , the floor underneath was much drier ... It’s a start ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:08 am

Checked yesterday after a slight rain, and the wood protected by the temporary drip edge is getting Dry , all by itself ... :thumbsup: :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:02 am

Big test of the drip edge is coming with the storms due from Patricia .... :o :rainy: :frightened:
If this works , we’ll put it all around the FS In a more permanent material of course ... I have some 1/4” Blucor FFF (fan fold foam) That may work with a simple light canvas (or sheet) covering ... Glued on , thoroughly painted ... we only need a little bit to do the job ... Maybe a 1/2” under hanging the actual trailer floor ... :thinking:
Attachments
Dripedge2.png
Dripedge2.png (27.06 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:10 am

Raining like Crazy here .... we ask for a test , and get a flood instead ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:30 pm

GPW how close is the FS to a maiden voyage and its intended purpose?
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:31 am

Ned, there’s really nothing to keep it from working .... the little bit I’m working on is nothing major (yet) ... Luckily we didn’t have any hurricanes this year , no need to EVAC , but the weather yesterday was pretty close . :o This morning my yard is filled with little limbs blown down and lots of leaves ... green leaves... and lots of water...
Having said that , I do have to teach an Art class up in Meridian Miss. in January ( perchance to jam with the Blues band there ) . I was thinking of driving up (200mi. ) with the FS so I’d have an office while I’m there... It’d be a chance to get the FS on the road ... just to check things out ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:21 pm

The temporary drip edge is working perfectly... after the weekend’s deluge Thanks to Patricia, the bottom of the floor is almost bone dry now ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:55 am

I meant more with all of the rain are you near to having to EVAC. I knew the FS was just fine Glad you're just putting up with rain.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:07 pm

in the general discussion there is a fold and go, the design is sorta maybe. see what you think, could it work as a foamie?

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bonnie » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:06 am

Mary, would you send a pic of your window? Please?
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:31 am

Bonnie , Hi !!! You thinking of a window ? Mary’s came out very nice , we’d never seen one up close ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies