FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby KCStudly » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:46 am

Nice! :applause:

Dad was a Southern Pacific conductor for a time back in the day. We love train stuff! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:23 am

Oh Cool!! I Love trains , and have traveled on them since way back ... Hate Flying ... :roll: Trains much more congenial , and until modern times , the Food was Excellent !!!
I always felt that train cars and trailers were sorta’ cousins in a way ... ;)

Funny , we were recently headed out of Philly for DC and I noticed we were really clipping along .... So I stopped the conductor and asked how fast we were going . He looked at his device and said 117mph .... OMG !!! I don’t think I’d have ever been that fast .... on the ground anyway ... :o :shock: :frightened:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:30 am

Ever think how efficiently their sleeper rooms are laid out? Would be Nice to replicate one in a camper trailer ... even a (albeit narrow for my Gorilla frame ) bathroom/shower inside ... Would be Cool .... :thinking:
Attachments
trainroom.jpg
trainroom.jpg (9.24 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
traintrip003.jpg
traintrip003.jpg (49.23 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
train bed.jpg
train bed.jpg (22.22 KiB) Viewed 2181 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:23 am

Here’s a sleeper section that only takes up ~ 30 “ of width ... :o :thinking:
Attachments
Traincar  sleep.png
Traincar sleep.png (60.03 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:58 am

Well then , it’s just another rainy day here .... supposed to “pour” rain all day , most of tomorrow and Friday , Saturday clear and then 3 more days of rain ... :rainy:
April showers .... :roll: ( Read: April Floods)
Got my drip edge boards all double primed and painted both sides ... I feel better that it’s pressure treated wood too ... that surely will help ... I can’t think why I didn’t think of a drip edge from the very beginning .... We routinely put them over doors and windows ... :NC

Only a month and a half left to get the FS “Travel worthy” ... which means the drip edge and a good (intensive) Cleaning inside and out ... Check the tires and lights ... the “electrical system “ (cord) . We’ve already gone over the interior stuff , that has been stored in my Laundry room all winter... We can only hope we don’t have to use it , but it will be ready , just in case ... :thinking: This will be it’s third summer , living outside .... It’s now outlasted anything we’ve had , save the Foamie #1 (now “nookery” ) very happy and still not out a lot of bucks or maintenance... :thumbsup: 8) :D

With the Gripper ~ 22 bucks (with tax) and the boards as much , we figure the drip edge project costs < $50 bucks ... More money for “ballast” ... :beer:
On the front we’ll be using a hybrid ‘tape" for lack of a better word, half canvas and half chipboard , thoroughly glued and WATERPROOFED... The simplest idea I could come up with , (thrifty too) . A thrifty alternative and a good test for the humble chipboard too as it’s likely a “high wear” area , subject to rocks and stones, etc. The key word is easily “replaceable" , if need be.
BTW, The underside of the exposed (back) chipboard will be sprayed with a nice heavy coat of spray undercoating ...
Attachments
FSNDE.png
FSNDE.png (35.29 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
DSCF0017.jpg
DSCF0017.jpg (182.57 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:34 am

Everybody posts their snow pictures .... here’s a pic of todays “Cajun Snow “ .... :lol: ... and it’s just started ... :o :frightened: :NC
Attachments
DSCF0021.jpg
DSCF0021.jpg (171.76 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:09 pm

Just a thought, but you might consider covering the back side of the chip board with canvas as well. It should help stiffen it up and protect it a little more. It would also eliminate the need to lay under the trailer to apply the "black nasty stuff".
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:35 am

Good Idea !!! Thanks Bill !!! :thumbsup: :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:54 am

OK, Drip edge boards all ready to install .... but have a question ... :o I’m going to be attaching the boards with long screws , but wanted a “seal” between board and wall . Problem is , the wall , as we know, is just canvas skin over foam , so there’s no implied structural aspect to a board/wall bond... I was just thinking of some cheap Latex/silicone caulking ...a generous bead between the two ... There will be a canvas “flashing” strip installed , so that will be the main water diverter. :thinking: Any better ideas ???

Naturally had all this been planned from the get-go’ , it would have been super Easy !!! 8) ... And unfortunately this modification is adding around 20 pounds of weight ... :frightened: That’s 20 pounds of gear or food ( or a guitar) , I’ll have to leave home now ... :duh:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:22 pm

Silkaflex? :thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Graniterich » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:02 pm

I swear by that stuff, costs more but is worth it
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:29 am

OK, Thanks , I see we can get that at the Home depot .... that’s convenient .... We’ll get some when we get out the house !!! :thumbsup: 8) :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 05, 2016 7:42 am

Heading to the HD Monday to get Silkaflex, and some 3” outside screws ... all to attach the drip edge boards ... :thumbsup: Finally stopped raining here ...
My friend at NOGC has offered some rubber stripping for the nose ... That’s interesting. :thinking:
But the real reason I’m here is to announce another Thrifty Alternative... :o
I’m going to need to spray some of “the Mix" under the nose where I removed the underlapping canvas ( just as a precaution really) ... I wanted to spray it because it would be easier than a brush upside down . First I thought about putting the mix in my garden sprayer , and that’s that . But we didn’t want to ruin the garden sprayer , or invest in a gallon of mineral spirits to clean it out ... So I came up with the idea of putting the mix in an old plastic spray bottle like something a spray cleaner would come in ( squeeze pump) ... and it WORKS !!! and if it ruins the spray bottle , so what ... it’ll just get recycled with everything else , no loss ... Easy now to lie on my back and shoot a stream of the Mix all along the areas we want to prtotect ... Some of it rolls off , yes, but not nearly the amount they would drip down the brush and onto my arm while Brushing it on ... :roll: Thrifty , and saves the garden sprayer for the Garden ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 05, 2016 8:41 am

:thinking: I wonder if that would work with epoxy. :thinking:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen