Great Writeup on Fiberglass over Foam

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:55 pm

Lacquer thinner, Acetone, Gasoline , brake cleaner ... all make it go runny ... :o

Eagle , so what kind of feedback did you get ??? Other than the pounding and poking at the foam ... :shock:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:11 am

hmm, not really sure. i had lots of folks smile, and say that is cool. but really not too sure if i have turned them into believers. you know most of the comments of course were nice ones, but i do think it is hard for most to accept.

now one guy did ask how well it would hold up when the winds came thru, like would it blow away. winds were never that bad, so no worries.

but seriously i only got nice comments. but i don't think i turned any over to the dark side. :lol: if they all had to rebuild, i would think they all would still use wood. :D
and no guys, incase any of you are reading this. this was not meant as a bad thing! but i doubt i turned any into foamlings.
so if any are reading this, please post your comments, would love to hear from you!
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:58 am

Eagle , it still is a radical idea for most folks to swallow .... May take some time to become accepted...

Funny how these folks all think the Foamie trailer will blow away in a light wind... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:56 am

You know, one could make a case that they're actually better in the wind than a wood trailer.

The floor and trailer weight are a much greater proportion of a foamie's overall weight and they will keep the center of gravity below the center of pressure of a crosswind on the side of the trailer. Batteries, water tanks, etc will all add to that as well.

BTW, anyone know if there's a less-flammable version of this stuff ?
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:07 am

No, but there is a Foam that emits Very Toxic fumes when burned ... Urethane Foam ... :o Easier to work with , more expensive and resists many solvents that would destroy most foams... Just no fires.... or Bears ...

I like that low center of Gravity explanation :thumbsup: ... most of my gear weight will be directly on the floor ... and the requisite 500 lbs. of Beer... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:51 am

GPW wrote:I like that low center of Gravity explanation

Like my ole dad always used to say:
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS"
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:57 am

Always worked for me !!!!!!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:06 am

GPW wrote:Always worked for me !!!!!!! :thumbsup:

i would never in a million years thought this :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Eagle , now you know what to say when someone stupidly says your trailer will get blown away in the wind... Given Enough wind , ANY trailer would get blown away ... Duh !!! So aptly demonstrated every time a tornado goes through a trailer park ... Sad but True !!!

Yes , a little BS goes a long way ... :roll: :lol: The entire Art market is based on the BS stories of the Art Dealers... " Sure, this painted canvas is worth $10,000 " ... Right !!! :roll: And their best BS story is : " it will double in value in 6 months" ... So why are they selling it to us in that case...????? :R

Anybody remember the bank bailout ??? The BIGGEST BS story ever told... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
How about ... " weapons of mass destruction " or "Mission Accomplished" ... BS Told with a Grin ... :shock:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Great Writeup on Fiberglass over Foam

Postby chuk101 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:51 am

Has anyone tried the epoxy paint that they use to refinish bathtubs and sinks, that's sold at lowes in quart cans? Either w canvas or fiberglass cloth? Would think it would be strong enough, have a nice gloss finish, available in colors; don't know about flexibility... or it's reaction to being applied on foam.
chuk101
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Great Writeup on Fiberglass over Foam

Postby atahoekid » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:52 pm

Say Chuk, noticed this is your first post...Welcome to the madness!!! I think that paint might melt the foam. I didn't use that paint but did have my tub refinished this past summer and I gotta say that stuff smelled pretty toxic and a lot like solvent. Great Finish, but I'd be surprised if it didn't eat the foam. I'll have to look at it the next time I'm at one of those big box stores and look at the ingredients.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies