Pico Light Foam and fiberglass

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Pico Light Foam and fiberglass

Postby pete42 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:13 am

I'll add my "Looking great" to the group.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby atahoekid » Thu May 17, 2012 6:09 pm

aksnowryder wrote:...I plan to do a trip down the Alcan Highway this summer and I want as much strength as possible.

That certainly makes sense. For the bottom front of my build I think I'm going to put on some thin diamond plate to protect it from rocks and such, I may also double layer the fiberglass up about a foot and a half from the bottom, again for protection. Otherwise, I think I'll stick to a single layer of 'glass.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see pics of your glass work. thanks for the advice!!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby aksnowryder » Sat May 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Well... I'm learning a lot as I go. First lesson I've learned- Alaska has cold temps and the epoxy does not like to set and cure without heat. My floor bottom was the first panel I worked on, it took a couple days to cure. I finally took it into the house and then within a matter of hours it hardened up nice. Our temps warmed up and I thought I'd try to the first side panel. After a couple days I went to release it from the board, and I learned my second lesson. Use more release agent, don't go sparingly, then remember lesson one. posting.php?mode=reply&f=55&t=50313# When I finally got the panel loose from the mold, it still wasn't set hard and pulled some loose from the foam and caused a lot of waves in the finish. I took it inside the house and again it cured within a matter of hours nice and hard. So... I set up a tent in the backyard, put my heater inside and got everything set to continue there. I can already tell it made a huge difference. I also was liberal with the release agent. I'll pop that piece off today when I get home from work.

Here are pics of everything to do with the glassing process up to now.

92161 92162 92163 92164 92165 92166 92167 92168 92169 92170
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
Sir Winston Churchill- Speech 1941 Harrow School
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Sun May 20, 2012 9:05 am

When using mould wax as the release agent, I've never met a professional who says they apply seven coats of wax - they always describe that as "six, plus one for luck".
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby aksnowryder » Sun May 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Ha, had not heard that, but I'd dare say there is a lot of luck involved. Second side released much easier. Still had some areas not glued well to the foam but overall, I'm pleased. The rest will be done without a mould.
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aksnowryder » Fri May 25, 2012 11:23 am

Haven't posted much lately, but I've been working on things. Curing time is really slow so that is what is keeping me from moving any faster. Currently, I have both side walls done, the door needs one more coat on the exterior. I hope to get that done today. After that, I will begin assembling the floor to the side walls by glassing and epoxying the thing together.

I had a mishap the other day- my table with all the bricks on it weighing down the foam to the mold collapsed and all the bricks fell on top of the floor piece. Good news... the fiberglass and heavy 24 oz woven with 6 oz cloth over the top just barely got scratched. That is with about 300lbs of weight crashing down on it. So, I feel pretty good about the durability of this thing! After I got everything picked up and my heart going again, I was relieved. Only real damage was the soft foam the bricks were setting on at the time. Gorilla glue, and spray in foam insulation then a coating of drywall compound and it looked good enough to coat with glass. Now it is very solid as well.

Here is a pic of the door. Like I said I still have one more coat of epoxy and cloth to put on the door. Next step will be assembly. Can't wait!!!

aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aksnowryder » Fri May 25, 2012 11:27 am

I forgot to ask a quick question of ya'll. What primer have you used in prepping your surface for paint? I'm looking for a good high build primer. I'll probably ask the local paint shop here, but thought I'd check with those who have been there.

Thanks
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby atahoekid » Fri May 25, 2012 11:50 am

Hadn't gotten there yet but am anxious to hear what you find out!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby aksnowryder » Fri May 25, 2012 8:33 pm

Decided to begin attaching floor to the walls instead of finishing door today. Glad I did! It is nice to see things beginning to come together. Now just waiting for it to cure good and solid. posting.php?mode=reply&f=55&t=50313#

aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aksnowryder » Tue May 29, 2012 1:29 pm

Well... I got the walls attached to the floor. Had a run of rainy weather which caused me to bring the thing into the house so it could cure overnight instead of leaving it outside in the cold and moisture. I so far and very happy with the build and the strength of it. I still need to glass the bottom joints but I'm going to wait until after I get the top done. I purchased some fenders the other day, they are steel so they weigh a bit more then I had planned but the weight of the whole trailer is still very light so the added weight should not hurt me at all. It may even help the trailer from being quite so "boingy boingy" while going down a rough road. I hope to get my material cut this evening for the roof and then glass and epoxy it tomorrow on the inside and then tape it all in place so that it cures with the correct shape. My goal is to be finished with the epoxy and fiberglassing by Sunday evening. Praying right now that the good weather we had yesterday and today holds out the rest of the week.

92854 It looks like the walls are leaning out in these two pictures but they are straight, just the lens playing tricks. 92855
Here is the assembly so far sitting on the frame. Pretty fun to see it coming together. 92856 Another shot of it sitting on the frame. 92857
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bonnie » Tue May 29, 2012 8:10 pm

That is so cool! :applause: :applause:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby aksnowryder » Wed May 30, 2012 1:37 am

Thank you Bonnie!
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby atahoekid » Wed May 30, 2012 9:36 am

If I recall, you were shooting for about 300# when complete and I don't recall if you said you were adding any cabinets or interior fitments, but I think you should easily hit that target! Looking great and coming along nicely! :D :D
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby aksnowryder » Wed May 30, 2012 11:09 am

No cabinets but there will be one shelf. I think total weight will end up around 200-225 then add my gear and an extra tire I should be right at 300. The plans and size of the build don't allow for any extras as it really is just large enough to sleep in. For pulling behind my motorcycle I think it will be perfect.
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aksnowryder » Thu May 31, 2012 11:03 pm

Got the roof cut down and taped in place while getting it ready for the interior coat of fiberglass and epoxy. 92934

After everything was fitted and ready got the interior coated with two layers of fiberglass and epoxy. Now just waiting... waiting... still waiting for it to cure. It has been very cool the past couple days so the cure time is really dragging out. If not cured by tomorrow morning I am going to set up the tent again with the heater. Anyway here are two pics of the roof in place. You may notice the white boards and one dark colored board. I screwed these in place to help make sure the ends and the joint would stay flat and true.
92935 92936

Once this is cured good, I will do the outside of the roof and overlap the sides to make the bond. After that, I still have one coat for the exterior of the door and then the joints on the very bottom of the floor to sidewalls which I should be able to do at the same time. posting.php?mode=reply&f=55&t=50313#
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies