Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Hybrid Foamie: Sleeper with Studio storage on wheels

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:03 am

A Camera trailer with bellows ... now would that be called a pop out , or a pull out ...??? :roll: With a “lens “ window ...
Attachments
camera trailer .png
camera trailer .png (12.47 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:00 am

Hi folks, at the risk of putting the cart before the horse, I had a 1st interview for a new position with one of my employers. If I get the position, I'll be building by Memorial Day weekend. Now I just need to finalize my plan for the trailer...

Leaning towards a wild goose in foam on a 5x10 trailer. So cross your collective fingers y'all.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:12 am

Fingers crossed , rabbit’s foot in hand !!! Good Luck Ned !!! :thumbsup: 8) ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Hybrid Foamie:Trailer ?s

Postby Ned B » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:52 am

I just looked back on my earlier posts here in this thread, Plus at my join date. I have been here lurking, posting here and there and soaking up info for almost 2 years to the day (off by 3 days from my join date as I write this...). Thanks to all of you Foam-minded folks for all that you've shared. I Hope to be out on the road camping by the end of July (how's that for ambitious, I have to get some cash together before I start, but I'm already setting a goal date for my build...) I've got a well equipped if 'small' workshop (bits and pieces are going to fit well, larger sub-assemblies are going to be an issue...)

I'm making my plans based on getting the new job, but I'm Very confident I'll get that, so... here goes.

I'm planning on using a 5x8 TS/Carry-on trailer for my project. We have more than enough TSC outlets nearby that I'm sure I can find One decent trailer among all of them. Conversely I could go with a HF drop shipped, but I'm pretty certain I want a 5x frame to start my build.

Question for the collective (I'm asking it here in Foamie-land since our application is different than the woodies...) :

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/c ... d-capacity
that's the trailer I'm aiming for... And from what I've read, they warp if you look at them cross-eyed, and warp quicker if you take off the side rails. Should I pony up for the wood floor version instead of the expanded metal floor? I'm not worried about weight, my current (and likely future) TV will easily handle a Foamie on this frame, I'm more concerned with flex. I'm a long way from the final profile but I'm planning on a torsion box floor supporting the rest of the build; I've built two Torsion Box based workbenches and the strength one gets with that application is well worth it. With that in mind, I'm leaning toward the expanded metal and letting the floor prevent the warp.

On to the rest of the build:
planning on a Queen sized bed in the nose, with the walk through kitchen area in the tail with both side doors and the Warrior/Goose style large hatch/folding rear door. Not sure yet whether I'll build my own side doors, or go with commercial ones. I will have to build the rear door of course. I know I have the woodworking chops to do both doors. Stay tuned, It should be a fun and quick run.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam

Postby ghcoe » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:23 am

For me the HF trailer is a hard trailer to beat for the price. I think what you need to ask yourself is, do you want the wheels outside of the body or inside the body? The HF is four feet across, so if you build wider you will need to accommodate for the wheel wells. HF sell 3 different trailers that are 4'x8', one has 8" wheels, if you do not mind smaller wheels you can get by with fairly small wheel wells. Depending on how high you plan to build this could make a difference on wheel placements too.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:34 am

Ned , you may want to check in your area for used boat trailers ... They’re really heavy duty and you can usually get one for less than the HF or TS trailers .... You may have to do a little painting , and re greasing , but that’s fairly inexpensive .. and you get a much stronger trailer and at a width more comfortable to a taller build ... Worth investigating :thinking: .... My first wooden TD was built on a boat trailer , and the new FoamStream too , the little first Foamie is on the HF , but it is somewhat weaker than all the other trailers I have in the yard (4 others) ... :o

Ps . I’m guessing with digital cameras now , you don’t need a mobile lab anymore ... just a laptop huh ... and lights ... no film storage ... Sorry, I come from the age of darkrooms,safe lights, chemicals , trays, tongs and timers ... what a PIA that all seems now huh ? ... :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:46 am

just checked CL and this just popped up...

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/rvs/3740946901.html

However, I don't have a hitch on my TV yet, and the cash might be a bit difficult to justify right now...

George, I'm going a full 5' wide (my TV is a crossover SUV so I'm fine going 'wide') and will have the fenders outside the trailer.

GPW, another option I'm looking hard at in addition to boat trailers is Snowmobile trailers... their 'season' is over and people may be moving them out of their yard. I'll be looking hard for a boat trailer as well.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/3686748918.html

dagnabbit... cash, need cash darnit!
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:17 pm

Lots of “deals” out there , just be patient and a real Bargain will appear ... Always does ... especially after you’ve already bought something more expensive... :R :oops: :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:07 pm

There was enough material in that first one to build two trailers. Just a lot of work to do it. More money for the boat trailer, but little/no work required. The better deal is all in the perception. All the trailers around here seem to be equipment trailers. Way too heavy for what I want to do.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:58 pm

wagondude wrote:There was enough material in that first one to build two trailers. Just a lot of work to do it. More money for the boat trailer, but little/no work required. The better deal is all in the perception. All the trailers around here seem to be equipment trailers. Way too heavy for what I want to do.

of the two, the latter was much more appealing, but also more $... I'm going to keep looking. part of my 'delayed' start date is that I need to get the war chest filled up a bit.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Ned , best re-read the big thread , especially about the “scavenging “ ... Thrifty was always the intent !!! ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:19 pm

GPW wrote:Ned , best re-read the big thread , especially about the “scavenging “ ... Thrifty was always the intent !!! ;)

Yup, I've got a Lot of material on hand already & I'm pretty certain I have 99% of the tools I will need, so a 'better' trailer is built in to my budget already.

Funny thing; I've been scanning through the big thread today, gleaning build tips as I go
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mezmo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:27 am

Hi Ned,

Take a look at aligator944's build. It is basically what you
said you wanted to do:

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=49879

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:28 am

mezmo wrote:Hi Ned,

Take a look at aligator944's build. It is basically what you
said you wanted to do:

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=49879

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo

Thanks Norm! I do like his design, I'm thinking something closer to the size of the Prairie Schooner if I can find the right trailer. If not, well something a tad smaller with a fixed bed (I don't 'do' dinettes well...). Possibilities are endless!
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:56 am

Ned , just be patient and keep looking around ... something always turns up !!! ... :thumbsup: As you said ... endless possibilities ... ;)

Just an idea .... I’m a firm believer in “networking” , so when we want to find something , I always let my friends know to keep an eye out for me. Twice already , I’ve had friends call me and say they’ve had a free trailer for me ... the latest was a total Freebie trailer for the FoamStream ... :thumbsup: A little paint , grease, and rewiring ... all it needed ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies