Foamie Paddleboard ....

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Foamie Paddleboard ....

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:24 pm

KC, there’s ALWAYS room for improvement eh ??? :thumbsup: I was thinking of extendable outriggers , so you could paddle out , extend the ‘riggers, then get down to some Serious fishing ... :thumbsup: 8) ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:27 pm

These are the ones I was talking about earlier:

This particular one is made here and they run about $120 Cdn...so that's what ?...about $250 USD ? :R

Each side beam pops into a rod holder socket and the floats are inflatable so you can paddle to your fishing spot and then set them up.
Maybe that 3DL would make some inflatable floats ?
You could certainly put a lot a lot of pressure into them, though not very abrasion resistant. The seams would be the weak point, but RC blimps are made of mylar so builders must have the patterns and adhesives figured out.

Then of course there's the cachet of having 3DL floats... :lol:
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:57 am

That’s the idea ... but I can’t trust inflatables around here, just too much junk in the water , left by "Big Oil" .. :x I once ran across a tiny bit of concrete sticking out of the water , looking further , saw that was part of a HUGE concrete block set on edge (dumped) , just ready to tear the bottom out of a boat ... :o Then there’s pipes , cable remains , and stumps .. Have to pass on anything inflatable ... :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:47 pm

Hehe, sounds positively treacherous. I hope you're not eating what you catch!
When I'm bagging up 3DL sails, even my belt with its ever-present Leatherman comes off so I don't accidently tear the stuff.

Concrete blocks and cables ?
Not so much...about all I have to worry about is not dropping traps where there's PSP.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:44 am

So back to the original intent ... do you think I need a center wooden panel ??? Would like to eliminate that entirely ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:50 am

You know better than I about how tough the foam & canvas is. Pesonally, I'd be concerned that, if the foam ever does fail, it would fail catastrophically. A longitudinal shear web or two of 1/8" ply (like I used in my door) would at least keep the broken pieces together till you get back to shore. It would probably stiffen the board quite a bit too - stronger than the sum of its parts and all that.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:50 am

W2, from some foam wing folding analysis , the wings with fiberglass tape on the surfaces , used like a spar cap.. pretty much prevented any breaking , worst case scenario was a glider wing that folded into a big V shape , just compressing the foam in the middle , the point of highest stress , no breaks .. I was thinking for ease of construction and the overall thickness of these, I could do some runs of fiberglass tape (on a roll) along the bottom at Hi G areas and be safe ... Hopefully :roll: ... Just attached with the paint/adhesive like everything else .... viz. “reinforcing strips” ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:39 am

GPW wrote:and be safe ... Hopefully

One or two vertical rib profiles of the 1/8 ply would pretty much take the "hopefully" part of the equation out of the picture and would give you a nice guide for hot wire and/or hand shaping.

Seems like a good idea to me. What do others do when home building these things?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:36 pm

All I’ve seen from others is they buy pre made blanks and then just cut em’ down ... That’s cheating in my book ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:46 am

Had a long talk , again, with the prospective paddle board builders/owners... Tried to convince them that a couple “sit on tops” would be more Practical ... but they seem fixed on the P board idea :roll: ... So I presented them with a materials list , and we’ll see where it goes from here... Going to follow Foamie trailer building principles , canvas over foam , applied in the usual manner ... Their concern is merely for a fun , cheap paddleboard , not the Slick, commercial offerings ... Glad we got that out of the way !!!
Great chance to test the Glidden Grabber as an adhesive ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:18 am

Got “the call” yesterday .... back to this ... so I sent them on their way with a list of things to get ... Now . “the girl” says she wants hers to look like a ’59 Cadillac... with fins .. :roll: Must have been the :beer: talking ?
I must “indulge” them , cause’ they’re in the Band ... :R

How do I always get into these weird projects ...? :oops:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:02 am

If you do the '59 Caddy theme, you have to find a way to incorporate working tail lights. I'm sure there is a universal law that requires it to be done. That and flames painted on the board. :D 8)
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:19 am

Bill, we’ll see where this goes ??? :roll: :cigar:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:19 am

Last night we had a discussion about the PB build... The talk went from a center “board” to just using fiberglass mesh on the bottom ... under the “fabric skin” ... Some cutting templates to be made , 1/8” masonite ... more materials for them to get .
Here’s the Plan drawing ... so far ... Once the rough blank is cut out , it will be suspended from nose and rear , a small weight added in the middle and the foam gently heated to allow the blank to settle in some “rocker” ... One time we WANT the foam to warp ... :o
Part of the discussion was about using the “Grabber” for an adhesive for the foam joining ... I voted (?) against that proposition in favor of Gorilla Glue ,in which we trust ... (tested) ;)
They’re still shooting for something fancy , I’m leaning more in the direction of building an ultralight minimum structure , basically just foam and skin ... but capable of a little "dock rash “ .. The girl says she tends to bump into things .... :o :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The real question is how do I get myself involved in these projects ... :?
Attachments
PB plan.png
PB plan.png (23.7 KiB) Viewed 414 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby capy235 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:35 am

If you were to make three pieces of wood into the rocker shape you want, one of quarter inch thick redwwod, and two pieces of masonite, then use the redwood for a center stringer and the two masonite on the outside for patterns, it could all be cut with a hotwire. I think the center stringer would give you lots of strength.
capy235
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies