Nookery Updates -- 25 Oct Update. Working on the galley

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Nookery Updates -- window update

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:54 am

Bonnie , I think you’ll find even with the smallest of air conditioners , you’ll be able to really cool down the cabin very quickly ... All that Insulation ... 8) An added benefit is, it’s nice and Quiet inside ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:22 pm

It sure will be. Daisy the wonder dog won't go near it. :shock:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Shar » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:33 pm

Good work, Bonnie, hope your first camping trip will be soon! :thumbsup:
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:10 am

Bonnie , we led Sweetie to the door , she jumped right in and started sniffing around ... Gosh , I hope she doesn’t bark every time the AC comes on (like she does at home ) ... Silly Dog !!!  :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:21 am

GPW wrote:Bonnie , we led Sweetie to the door , she jumped right in and started sniffing around ... Gosh , I hope she doesn’t bark every time the AC comes on (like she does at home ) ... Silly Dog !!!  :roll:

i will need to do that too, closer to the first trip. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:25 am

Maybe toss some special dog treats in there ... That’s always an enticement ... :D One thing we found , if we put the dog bed most anywhere the dog will go lay in it ... A familiar comfortable place , and treats usually makes them feel at home ... Used that before on EVAC... Usually works for me too ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:24 am

I dont know about your dog but mine is not happy with new situations. I'd do what GPW recommended. Throw the bed in, throw the treats in, sit inside with your pup and let it get used to it. Had to start my dog slowly, now she jumps in as soon as I open the door and she stays there until I remove her. HA!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:08 pm

I'll give it a go this weekend. I have the cushions out to work on the AC hatch and electric, among other to dos I have to did. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Re: Nookery Updates -- AC Hatch

Postby bonnie » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:40 pm

It's a sticky hot day here. Great day to install the AC hatch. I want to give public thanks to tac442 for posting his install. It answered several questions I had. I used his method, with a couple of changes, as my hatch does not have an interior finish ring. So to begin:

Foam dust:

bonnie
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:09 pm

Well, So I traced the outline of my hatch onto the inside wall of the Nookery. I then measured and traced 1.5" from that mark to allow for fold over. Using my box cutter I cut through the sheets GPW used to line the Nookery and carefully peeled the sheet off the foam. I cut easing clips and then pressed the fabric away from the marks.

I used my Fat Max cutter to cut the smaller wall piece away from the wall. Pretty easy and accurate. I went very slowly and didn't force the blade.

Once the middle was cut away, it was time to make the second set of easing clips and then press the outside fabric away from the excess foam. I measure the outside hole 1.5" from each side and drew lines to guide the cutting.

I placed the hatch frame, sans the door, into the fabric rim from the outside. I then used blue tape to help hold the frame steady and cut the remaining foam away. It took a long time. Again, I went slow and let the blade do it's work. It worked for the most part. I did need to trim things up a bit so the frame would seat with both sidewall fabrics folded in. Here's a shot of the frame in the hole from the inside:

I've decided to glue the inside strips down prior to gluing the entire frame to the Nookery. So I'm waiting for glue to dry and then I'll finish glueing and clamping the frame. Here's a shot of the dry fit from the outside. It is off center of the wall, which was planned. Pretty nice looking.

I also took this little break to trace and cut a piece of 1" foam to fit the internal frame to use to enclose/steady the AC when it is mounted in the wall. I'll brace it with the fiberglass drywall tape I bought. Then I'll cover it with sheets and then paint it to match the interior and exterior. When finished, I'll be able to open the hatch, pop the foam piece into the frame and mount the AC in it. The hatch cover will also be painted to match the interior and and exterior paint jobs, so it isn't quite so obvious.

More to come, stay tuned. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:41 pm

Ok. Now we wait. ...

First, this is the adhesive I used.

I coated the sides of both the hatch and the opening. Guess I got enough. The stuff oozing out the other side. Easy wipe off with a clean cloth. 8)

It' clamped up and waiting for things to set up.

Wonder how long that will take. I'll give it at least 24 hours before I take the clamps off. There's one small tab of canvas sticking out on the outside. I'll trim it off when I'm sure everything is dry. In the meantime, I'll paint the inside and outside of the hatch door. :)

I solved my electrical issue by taking the entire mess to my favorite Trailer shop. They never laugh at my hair brained ideas. They are going to rewire the male end of the GFI extension cord and give me about 18" or so extra length. Looks like the outlet in the Marinco housing can come out. So I will get the fixed extension cord and the cover, take it home and finish the install. Tada, electric. And all without electrocuting myself. :)

Whew! Gotta clean house now. Been a bit preoccupied. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:03 pm

That looks GOOD!!! :thumbsup: So the AC will sit on the shelf ? 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:45 pm

GPW wrote:That looks GOOD!!! :thumbsup: So the AC will sit on the shelf ? 8)

Thanks! ;) Yes, I found a really cute curio cabinet at a resale shop. It's all wood and just seems to fit the Nookery. The AC will rest on it when installed. The cabinet and the hatch are the same width. I'll post a picture when everything is back in place. I may also rig some sort of rest for the back end of the AC, if I think it's too wobbly in just the foam/hatch.

With this done, I can camp. I have several other additions to the Nookery I want to get done this summer, but she's campable now. Or as soon as the adhesive dries/paint. :R
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Olddog1 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:40 pm

Well done, Bonnie. If it's as hot there as it is here an AC is a necessity. One more week and I'm headed to Maine to enjoy all it offers, until the first freeze.

Lamar
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bonnie » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:38 pm

Olddog1 wrote:Well done, Bonnie. If it's as hot there as it is here an AC is a necessity. One more week and I'm headed to Maine to enjoy all it offers, until the first freeze.

Lamar

thank you
bonnie
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies