Generic foamie plans

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Generic foamie plans

Postby wagondude » Tue May 10, 2016 3:40 pm

I like the grasshopper Idea. Maybe borrow some of the layout from Shadow Catcher's "Compass Rose". Then it would have the space for upgrades at a later date, if the builder felt so inclined.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue May 10, 2016 3:45 pm

Novel thoughts?

I need a really novel idea to add a hard edge all around, but easy enough for a person with a table saw or a circular saw to do... and/or chop saw

If you recall, I put a hard edge around the mad dash, and it really turned out nice.

Now I'm not saying we have to have a hard edge, I was just wondering about the options...

Here's one.

Start with 1/8" plywood. glue 3/4" pine strips to it, in the shape of a weekender.

Glue 3/4" foam into the opening

Glue 2" foam to that...

Voila' Hard Edge, no rabbets....

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby ghcoe » Tue May 10, 2016 6:04 pm

mikeschn wrote:Novel thoughts?

I need a really novel idea to add a hard edge all around,.

I have had good luck with flashing and drywall beading for hard edges. With a flat panel build it should be a snap for a beginner. You would need to purchase a straight tin snip cutter though. The beading is available in plastic and some designs are able to make bends for curves.
Attachments
DSCF3166 small.jpg
Flashing
DSCF3166 small.jpg (101 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed May 11, 2016 8:09 am

Hard edges ... Why not put nicely varnished wood strips all around on the edges ? :thinking: Thin,wide strips ripped on the table saw (~ 1/4” X 3” )... Maybe something really tough like Hickory ( they use that for sleigh runners eh ? Bends easy without breaking . ) Just a thought , and it could be made “decorative" too ( and cover those seams everyone dislikes so much ;) ) ... The Foamie body still under compression of the full skin, Plus the "edge protectors” ... That could be NICE , Good looking , and really Practical too ... :o Good chance to add a proper drip edge , if climate dictates.

Also it would give the woodworkers something to do once a year , sanding the edge wood and re-varnishing... :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Wed May 11, 2016 10:37 am

GPW wrote:Hard edges ... Why not put nicely varnished wood strips all around on the edges ? :thinking:

Also it would give the woodworkers something to do once a year , sanding the edge wood and re-varnishing... :D

I dunno about other Woodworkers, but I'm building a foamie so I Don't have to do that sort of maintenance .
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed May 11, 2016 11:04 am

Ned , that was my original idea too, no maintenance :thumbsup: 8) ;) ... Every Free Ken Trailer but the Foamies needed some kind of TLC and very Often , and even that didn’t work ... :duh: Thing is , when somebody wants something “Special” then they will have to deal with it ... :roll: "Ask and ye shall receive".... :frightened:
JMHO , either it’s Generic , or CUSTOM ...and as soon as you say , “gee, I like that but need this too “ ....than that’s CUSTOM... :R
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Wed May 11, 2016 4:52 pm

I like the weekender idea. With galley and notes on which steps to skip if you're not building it.

On a 5x8 trailer would be perfect. But the HF 4x8 is so ubiquitous. Mine is on one, built over the wheels.

If we agree on a plan and somebody wants to build it to document the process I would turn up to help.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 11, 2016 5:05 pm

There’s still lots of good WIDE boat trailers out there ... we see them for sale all the time .... Something happens to the boat ( Pirates) then they’re stuck with a trailer ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Wed May 11, 2016 5:30 pm

For an easy to build foamie I think my mercury hatch and nose are the best answer.
The hatch runs counter to every other design, but offers a few great qualities.
There is an awning when the hatch is open, that you will not bump your head on.
With snaps or velcro, you can hang walls from the hatch for wind, bug, cold protection.
The best part is that the hatch sealing is almost idiot proof, with the hatch sliding over a lip that runs all the way around the galley opening. In fact the top lip supports the hatch when shut, leaving no weight on the hinge. I used the live plastic hinge for a waterproof hinge.
With no upwards facing gaps, sealing is almost not required, I have none on my hatch.

The nose is more space efficient than a V, and leaves no awkward area crunched under a sloped roof, instead it can be a area to hang stuff in, put a couch for reading, or sleep a kid or pet.
I believe the blunted V is better aerodynamically than a traditional teardrop design.

One other thing that makes the Mercury design better IMO, is that you have a straight flat roof for hauling boats.
I know it's different, but so is building with foam. :FNP :lol:
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:54 pm

mikeschn wrote:Novel thoughts?

I need a really novel idea to add a hard edge all around, but easy enough for a person with a table saw or a circular saw to do... and/or chop saw

If you recall, I put a hard edge around the mad dash, and it really turned out nice.

Now I'm not saying we have to have a hard edge, I was just wondering about the options...
Mike...

I used plastic drywall molding in both the bullnose and regular corner edging.
I used flexible and non-flexible and glued it on every exposed corner using Gripper. You can cut it with heavy duty scissors.
It worked great, I'm very happy with it.
110038 116318 109917 109916
tac422
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu May 12, 2016 8:39 am

How simple is this ... yet should tow well ... :thinking: 103127

Add a mini galley and a simple door in the back , and you’re in business !!! 79537 :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 13, 2016 5:51 am

Okay Glen,

So I've been thinking about it some more... dangerous...

But I'm getting some ideas...

In my nano thread Jon W and Junkboy999 suggested keeping the front vertical where the tongue box is.

So what if I start with your Galileo II, and chop off part of the front to make it vertical?

Then since I've lost all that length on the front, what if I add that length in the back?

And since I don't want a longer chassis, what if I angle it up? A departure angle of sorts...

And as long as I am adding a departure angle, and the chassis already sit up quite high, why not just fashion it after a Wrangler or a Hummer?

Yes, now we are starting to make some progress...

Let me work on that this weekend!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 13, 2016 6:05 am

It's really rough... but I think you'll get the idea...

And this design lends itself well to being skinned with really rough canvas, and painted silver... nothing smooth about this baby! :lol:

This design lends itself well to being built on a 5x8 trailer with the fenders hanging over the side...

Inside would be a near full sized mattress if you stick with 60" wide on the outside, or a queen if you go to 66" wide on the outside, and hang over the chassis a few inches on each side.

There's no bending, and very few panels to make.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2016 6:59 am

Must be the Universal consciousness 8) ... from 9/26/2007 27489
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2016 7:05 am

And then being an old Van guy , it would be really not that difficult to re-purpose a salvaged SUV body into a sorta' Mad Max style trailer ... Metal working , welding ... That’s Fun stuff too ...if you know how ;) .... and if not , then you can learn ... :thinking:

Ps.. Easily fit in a garage eh ,or live outside like most vehicles do ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies