The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Postby dales133 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:25 pm

That guide coats invaluable; like you said its easy to oversand if theres nothing visual staring you in the face telling you your wrong to want to keep going
You can tell youve spent time in NZ with the "buggered up" thing
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:49 am

Not sure about other latex passed primers, but the Gripper is hard to sand once applied and dry. Make sure your high spots are knocked down before applying or you may make even more work. Try it on a piece of scrap first to make sure it works for you. I usually am working with medium to find grit paper or foam blocks.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:25 pm

Well I finally feel like I am back on the right track with the roof and hatch top profiles. I still wish that I could reach across the whole width of the hatch in one session, but after this latest round I think I have the techniques down now to get it where I want it, and, despite the way the pictures look, it is much closer to the way I want it and better than it has been yet. The pics don’t show the whole story well, and the blotchy look of the guide coat makes it look worse than it is in reality, but at least now I have the intended crown shape pretty well dialed in. I think just a little more work on some smaller localized areas along the street side edge and over on the curb side and it will be all set.

This is after a sanding session and filling lows again. The dark area of guide coat by the left clearance light is just where the guide coats built up in an area that I was not sanding, so that gives the false impression of a low spot.

I think working in the day with very good natural light also made a huge difference in my ability to judge my work, even with the guide coat. I’m wishing now that I had waited to do the edge radius until after I decided to fix the roof and hatch contours, but I can fix that too; just a little rough buildup shown here, that will sand off with the radius block once cured.

I know this still looks like crap in the pics, but trust me, the long board does not lie, and neither does the eye; it is way better with the crown and the lumps are now much more under control, despite the mottled appearance. Local lows are far easier to deal with once the overall shape is correct.

I left a little extra crown on the street side; leaving a little “in the bank” for a final sanding once I get the curb side to match. Once I knock this little skim coat back, do a little more local filling, and a final sanding I think the top of the hatch will be as good as I want it to be.

On to the front of the roof. I picked up a bunch more spackle, but at the last minute, faced with the number of sessions and effort I had spent on the hatch, decided to “deck the nose” rather than fill the swale. I have had pretty good luck keeping the rounded profile of the front radius from going flat while sanding the ridges from the kerfs (by using a rolling X pattern and consistent number of long strokes), so I figured I would have a pretty fair shot at keeping the two radii blended together. Decking the nose consisted of using the arced long board, guiding off of the second and third roof bay, while knocking the top of the front radius off; again using a long axis X pattern. Yvette stopped by to do a quality/progress check and snapped this action shot.

Periodically I would use the medium flat board and roll that up in a long crosswise X pattern to break over the resulting crest (… blending the two curves back together). I think it was easier to hold a consistent line across the camper by doing it in stages like this, rather than trying to do all of the decking and then blend it all back together at once. Small adjustments using hand tools and relatively fine grit (120), rather than messing up in a big hurry.

Here you can see that the curb side has come in very nicely; the middle has a bit of a high spot that needs a little more crosswise work; and the near side just needs a little skim coat of spackle to fill in the dark area… a lot less filler than would have been needed to bring the whole thing up, and probably less sanding in the end, too.

This may seem like a lot of effort to some for such a “small” difference, but to me the profile is the whole enchilada and it just looked wrong to me with a hollow dip; would not pass the 50 ft rule, let alone the 10 ft one. Now it is much better.

I went back and looked at previous pics, but they actually look better (in the pics) than these. Unfortunately you can’t see how much better it looks in person. In this one the street side still looks flat, but that is an illusion due to the line between the wall and roof foam having the dip. If you look at the profile of the curb side you can start to see the crown coming back now.

Here it is after adding the skim coat of spackle.

Since we were away on my B-day, and for other reasons, we didn’t celebrate at mom’s until last night. Guacamole dip and corn chip app; butterflied leg of lamb on the grill with mint sauce; a bed of brown rice with a dab of butter, truly wonderful beefsteak tomatoes from the neighbor’s garden sliced with a dab of mayo and some salt; grilled slices of eggplant and zucchini; a really good spinach salad with sautéed mushrooms, bacon, diced hard boiled egg, and a mild tabasco dressing; and Graber olives. The lamb was cooked perfectly, moist with a touch of pink, and all of the juices, dressings and sauces played so nicely together when sopped up by the rice; it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Mom (and her sisters) have been doing the rubber stamp craft thing for some time now and are all quite creative with it. Mom found a TD rubber stamp to make my B-day card (about the size of a postcard); pretty cool.

My present is very special. Mom is a quilter and made an Athena’s Puzzle patterned quilt for me. Seems like it might be just the right size for TPCE.
The back.

I know I should be in the shop today, but it is The Big Go this weekend, so pop, pop, pop.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:27 pm

WOW!!! Tell Mom her Quilt is just BEAUTIFUL !!! :thumbsup: 8) :applause:

Foam looking Great KC ... :beer:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:50 pm

GPW, you just did; she reads the thread regularly! :D

I'm sure she will appreciate it. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:28 pm

Belated Birthday Greetings, KC! :)

You certainly got some nice birthday presents. I can tell your mom loves you very, very much.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:41 pm

Thank you Sharon. Can you imaging how much time it takes to organize all of the different fabrics, cut all of those strips, then sew them all back together? I think the hardest part must be organizing the different colors and prints so that nothing looks too much the same or contrasts too much either. Even using a machine to stitch it and a long arm to do the quilting, there is a lot of care that goes in to such a thing.

All of the color on the card was done by hand, too. Looks like water color to me.

Yup, mom must think I'm pretty special. :D
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:02 pm

KCStudly wrote:Yup, mom must think I'm pretty special. :D

Or she's just shamelessly trying to get her work noticed internationally ! :lol: :lol:

Good job Mom!

A thought on the fairing - I don't know if you've noticed this already but running your hand over a surface will tell you how fair it is to a much finer degree than anything your eye will ever pick up. It takes a bit to get the 'feel' but, given the care you're putting into this, you'll be happy with the results. And yeah, I completely get how fairness doesn't photograph well - usually it looks worse than it is in a pic.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:24 pm

Oh believe me, I have caressed and caressed. Just gently gliding your palm and fingers over the surface will definitely tell you if the surface is fair, but also gives you a great idea of how even the transitions in the curves are.

The gray primer and spackle dust makes a clingy tint that finds the lows in the creases of my skin, and around my wedding band; washes right off, but you can tell that you have been working (...and that a respirator is a must).

Still no expert here, but getting a feel for it, literally.

Unfortunately, this morning I was quite sick to my stomach with all manner of other nastiness... something I ate disagreed with my system, so will be hovering close to "running water", if you know what I mean. Disappointed that I won't be making any progress.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Shar » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:03 pm

Get well soon! And it is clear that both you and your mom love to create things of beauty.
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:51 pm

Thank you, Shar. I am feeling much better now, perhaps 90-95/ct.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:18 am

Lots to catch up on. I just got back from Burning Man. Will be coughing up dust for a month. It was dirty this year. Cool but lots of wind and dust.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:14 am

Welcome back, Randy. Anything interesting to report?
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:58 am

What happens on the playa. Stays on the playa.

In other words not much happened that I was involved with. Wind and dust a plenty. 60 mile long line of vehicles to get in. Probably a bunch of gaps in it here and there but we came to a stand still at least 60 miles out. Took about 6-8 hours to that last 60 miles. Can't really remember how long.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:42 am

I read that Susan Sarandon was on a build crew, and that she somehow included some of Timothy Leary's ashes in the Temple she helped build. Yes The Timothy Leary
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies