Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam

Postby Ned B » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:58 am

GPW wrote:Ned , just be patient and keep looking around ... something always turns up !!! ... :thumbsup: As you said ... endless possibilities ... ;)

Just an idea .... I’m a firm believer in “networking” , so when we want to find something , I always let my friends know to keep an eye out for me. Twice already , I’ve had friends call me and say they’ve had a free trailer for me ... the latest was a total Freebie trailer for the FoamStream ... :thumbsup: A little paint , grease, and rewiring ... all it needed ... 8)

Oh I'll put the word out, as you say networking can work wonders!

And I've waited this long to get started, a bit longer is no issue. Time to put pencil to paper though.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:05 am

Ned , just a tip ... recently I’ve marked off the floor in the studio to trailer floor size (interior) Put my cooler and crates/.etc in it , sat down inside with a brew and contemplated where everything should go , or not ... :beer: Planning ahead for all your stuff means a Lot in the end product ... ;) Mine’s going to be 6’ wide inside and although that sounds like a lot of space , it gets eaten up pretty quickly with all the other stuff we expect to fit , and pathways to get to it ... :NC
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:53 am

Hey Ned, you might want to keep an eye out for tent trailers with rotted out canvas/sides. I picked up mine that someone had already stripped for only $200. I found it on Craig's List, but I also see them parked in people's backyards all the time. A bit of paint, a couple of mods and I was good to go. My frame is just under 7' wide and about 14' long from hitch to end of the frame. Plenty big and pretty light.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:06 pm

^^what they said...

My trailer was a decent but old popup that I got for $50 on the local craigslist. I wanted it for the frame but I figured I'd try it out since the canvas seemed ok, despite being a '74. I used it once and started stripping it out...

Then, a while later, I was offered a tandem travel trailer that had been vandalized and the owner just wanted it off his property: a "you tow it, you can have it" deal that came about through networking with friends and letting people in on what I was doing. If it's still around when I have the time and the work space, I'll probably grab it. I've got a buddy who drives a wrecker and can drag it to my place for me.

When most people (him included) look at it, they see garbage.
I see a tandem frame and appliances pretty much for free.
I figure a case of beer for the trailer and another for the tow is a pretty good deal !

I'm actively looking for a similar $50 popup for another project but there don't seem to be any in my neck of the woods at the moment...which brings me to my (very long winded) point: you'll see all kinds of deals out there when you aren't looking for them !

Remember too that nobody is going to take the time or spend the money to post an ad for a trailer that they'll let go for next to nothing, and it doesn't cost a thing to knock on the door and ask. And if they say no, leave your number anyway because they might change their mind after ruminating on it a bit.

I paid a case of beer and $60 in dump fees for the slide-in camper from which I pulled the appliances, windows and some other bits and bobs I may or may not use. I'm going to sell the fridge since I won't be using it and I ought to be able to get $50 or $60 bucks for it since it's cleaned and working.

Like you, I'm building on something of a shoestring budget and I'm still making progress...even if it's not going as quickly as I'd like.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:57 am

Thanks guys,
I'm starting the networking process, and i'm always out spotting trailers on my various travels around the area. I'm still leaning towards a new trailer for this one simple reason... NY winters mean salt on the roads, and that takes a heavy toll on anything on the road. Even campers which don't see much road time in winter are affected around here.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:22 am

Good Point !!! :frightened: A while back I inherited a beauty '63 Pontiac , big block , cherry .... drove it home from NJ (1200mi) , then discovered the whole frame underneath was rotted away , filled with road salt ... Oi' !!!! :shock:
New is Good, nice to start fresh !!! Just more bucks !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:35 pm

on the very plus side of the equation, my build budget has been solidified... I just landed a new job, full time with benefits, I start on Monday (I put notice in at my bus job, and the new job will be afternoons/evenings to start..

I also bumped into a guy who builds/rebuilds trailers and sells them as a sideline... I may go talk with him about a custom trailer built to my specs.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:23 pm

Don't you just love it when things come together?!?! Good for you!! The build is on!!! :D :D
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:15 am

Ned , the Luck is with you !!! :thumbsup: 8) :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks guys,
I have to catch up on some bills once the new job gets up to speed, but after that, I'll be hitting the ground running.

My build has gotten 'easier', I was stressing over building a bunk into the plan for my youngest son (the DW and I will be using the queen sized bed of course...), he says he'd rather have a tent nearby. SO, some storage for the general stuff we all need to haul around, two side doors, plus the clamshell tail for some elbow room. Going with a 5' wide frame and 2" foam for the walls etc...now that the project is a 'go', I'll be working up a sketch and figure out my materials list. Thanks for checking in!
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:29 pm

congratulations on the new job. :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Thu May 02, 2013 2:12 pm

so far, the new job has endless opportunities... but not a lot of time as I'm finishing up at my previous employer and working the new job at the same time... sleep? what's that?

on the plus side my email box had the proverbial 20%off coupon in it today... :twisted:
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Sun May 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Well, I'm still making evening runs to Binghamton from Syracuse for my courier service. Luckily it won't be for too much longer, then I can transition into management where I will wind up eventually.

What this means is that I'm still waiting on time & perhaps even a new TV before I can start my build.
Both GPW's Foamstream & KC's TPCE have inspired me to move forward on things once time & materials come available.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Mon May 13, 2013 5:56 am

Ned, just sayin’ ... “time waits for no man “ .... Best do a lot of planning and stockpiling materials while you’re waiting ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Mon May 13, 2013 10:47 am

I'm constantly planning... I'm just dealing with the job situation as it comes.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies