Foamie hybrid thoughts...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Foamie hybrid thoughts...

Postby Fred Trout » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:01 pm

I was thinking you could use the rule joint flipped upside down for about an inch or two at each end to seal it.

How are you sealing off the rest of the opening and why can't you just have the same thing sitting there in that spot all bloused (puffed out so it can move) ?
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:37 am

Fred, I think I understand what you said.

So I notched out the hatch, 1 x 2".

Seems to cover it mostly. There's still a tiny hole.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Fred Trout » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:16 am

How do you close up the big opening that is created by lifting the pop-top ? Does a panel flip up in the back or are you using tent material type thing ?

Could have some sort of swivel cover/filler that 'pops-up' in your hinge area too, I suppose. You could go look at the pop-up A-frame campers or slide-outs and see how the professionals do it. You really do want to keep out bugs AND rain in all configurations in your neck of the country. This joint may rub off finishes & may need regular lubrication; a knotty problem.
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:10 am

Fred,
It works like this:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Fred Trout » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:07 pm

OK, looking at what you currently have, you could draw a radius from the hinge pivot point and make as much of the circle in the vertical wall as needed to ensure the vertical covers any opening including rising above the horizontal roof line. You just need to make more of a segment of a circle centered on the pivot where you have yours radius.

Pic shows area under discussion -
radius centered on 'hatch' pivot point
- cut out of TD wall to fit it
- add to hatch wall to make it a circle segment

Just curious if & how you are sealing the wall where the parts slide past each other.
Attachments
rule joint 2.jpg
rule joint 2.jpg (17.12 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:12 pm

Fred,

Yes of course, something like that should work. Lets give it a try...

For starters, here's the tiny hole I mentioned earlier...

and here is the ruled joint. Opps, the hole is back. awww crap

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:28 pm

ah, here's the way to do it... What do you think?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:44 pm

I thought about running the spars through the side of the hatch. so I modeled it up to see what it would look like...

Then when I closed the hatch I saw the problem. It interferes with the inner side panel

Foam doesn't lend itself well to motion, does it?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Fred Trout » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:54 pm

You got it !! Just needed to place the center of a circle at the point the pop-up rotates around. Simple to use a compass to scribe your cut with the hinge-pin at the center.

===================================
You can either stop the width of the wood short of the wall or add a lot more work to get the edge to match the wood - could embed the wood into the foam or something else like that. Lots of examples here like KCs. Just much more time consuming. You should also take a quick look thru ghcoe's #1 thread to see how he did his galley hatch. Could be something useful there.

Yep, foam is fragile and needs a gentle hand and protections, like the corner bead & flashing, embedded wood, etc. I am doing mine so a 4 banger can drag it behind and because I am no carpenter.
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:54 am

Fred,

LOL!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:56 am

I'm thinking about putting in a front window. I'd cut out the foam like this... But I'm concerned that the foam will crack when I bend it. Should I use wood like NMMaurader & KCStudly?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Fred Trout » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:11 am

Not understanding why you want the extra pieces in there but foam can be bent without breaking by steaming it or using a compression strap.

Re: Let's talk Kerfs (curving your foam)

Postby jgraham698 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:51 pm
I made a new and longer (more boring) video to replace the first that you can find at https://m.YouTube.com/watch?v=wUb8patN6Mw

Re: Slipstream

Postby Robot » Tue May 26, 2015 3:08 am
Progress has been slow due to non-stop rain in central Texas over the last month. I have been working on it when weather permits. I'm about a month and a half away from my deadline. The PVC skeleton is done, still working on the door. I began steam bending the foam sheeting today before I got rained out.

uploadfromtaptalk1432624079131.jpg
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:38 am

From studying those links, what is not resolved is getting a large sheet to form to a specific profile. Most of his examples are free form, or he coaxes a smaller shape by hand into the approximate shape. I suspect that it looks easier than it is because he just puts a tension strap between the ends of a tight bend. You can't always do that on a camper and shallow bends don't apply much sideways force toward the glue surface. In other words the strap does a fine job approximating a profile curve, but does a lousy job clamping said curve to a mating surface.

Another option (that GPW has recommended) would be to laminate chip board or bed sheet to the outside of the foam before forming, then it would act like the compression strap while forming and prevent the outer surface of the foam from cracking/snapping. I haven't tried that method so I can't say how much harder it would make the foam to bend and stay put while gluing.

From my experience using a simple stretcher (technically not a compression strap because it did not contain the ends of the foam) it is very difficult to get the foam to form and press up to the mating surface(s) for a good glue joint. If any part of the profile is relatively flat, the stretcher or strap is not going to pull sideways over the flatter areas to affect a clamp. When laminating curved panels with kerfs, and especially using contact adhesive, large panels formed easily and stuck fast with just hand pressure.

The big issue I see if you want to try to form over a mold, is that you either have to spend time and materials building the mold, or temporary supports in the cabin to use it as a mold. My logic was that if I was going spend money and effort on building something to do that, why not make it part of the camper to begin with? But then I am not being uber weight conscious in my build.

For doors and windows I'm in the camp that likes a wood frame (preferably cedar). One option would be to form the panel first, then, once it is stable, cut out for the window and glue in a frame. You may have to deal with some fairing issues if the foam and wood profiles don't match up well (or maybe if the foam is flexible enough it can be clamped to comply with the window frame at glue up), and your cuts would have to be pretty accurate for a snug fit.

Do you plan on having it be a curved window or let in flat?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:17 pm

Mike is talking about little strips around a window opening. I agree with you that using wood or metal flashing to mount a window seems more secure but it is not clear to me what Mike's plan is there anyway.

===========================
From studying those links, what is not resolved is getting a large sheet to form to a specific profile.

huh ?????? :?

Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:04 pm

In that last picture (above) I have just routed out the pink foam to put in the window. My thought was to curve the foam first, then route out the opening. So far no wood involved. But knowing how easy EPS cracks, I'm tempted to look for a little reinforcement to keep the crack from ever happening.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies