Pico Light Foam and fiberglass

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Pico Light Foam and fiberglass

Postby atahoekid » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:18 pm

Is plasticore anything like coroplast. If I recall someone did a trailer out of coroplast
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby loaderman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Plasticor ( no e at the end) is like coroplast a plastic cardboard box type stuff.
Not sure what he used, said it had cotton on both sides? Huh?
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby aksnowryder » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:38 am

Got the second coat of fiberglass and epoxy on the roof. Not much different in the pics so only uploaded one. 93154

Plasticore or without the "e" is pretty much the same stuff as the coreplast I think. I've included some pics so you can see it.
93155 This is a side view and you can kinda see the material inside is a honeycomb like plastic.
93156 This is a pic to show a bit of the flexibility of the stuff, as you can see it is very bendable.
93157 Here is a top view of the material. You can see the cotton fibers make up a material and both sides are like this. The only downside I found with the stuff is that it really soaks up the epoxy. Easy to work with, strong, lightweight and flexible I think it makes a great roof!
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
Sir Winston Churchill- Speech 1941 Harrow School
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:28 am

Well, the cotton backing certainly solves the adhesion problem with Corroplast , which is not glue- friendly by itself ... 8)
Great base for fiberglass ,just becoming the inside (ceiling) , and might even have a slight R value .. I assume , :roll: the cotton is on both sides so you could glue “whatever" to the inside if wanted ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aksnowryder » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:32 am

I think there is a fairly decent R value. I mean it isn't foam, but I got the 1/2" thick stuff and I think it should do just fine. The adhesion is fantastic. Like I said, the only down side I found was that the material seemed to soak up about twice the epoxy that I had been using on all the other surfaces. Of course that was only on the first coat. It is available in different thicknesses. I think from 1/4" all the way up to an 1". I had never used the stuff before but am very pleased with it. About a month before I started my build, I went to the fiberglass shop here in Anchorage and took the plans to him. Told him I wanted to build it out of foam and glass. I then asked what ideas he would have for it. He recommended the Plasticore. I'm so far very glad he did.
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aksnowryder » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:31 am

On the question of high build primer, I visited one of our local automotive paint shops the other day and they have a two part urethane primer. The stuff the recommended is a 4:1 high build primer. They said it should work good for what I want it to do. So... name of the product will come as soon as I have it in hand. (I don't remember the name of the stuff.) I will also post results and pics once I start with that.
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby loaderman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Where did you get the plasticore with the cotton surface? Can't find it on the web at all
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby aksnowryder » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:01 pm

I bought if from my local fiberglass shop. Not sure where else to get it or if it goes by any other name. Duane at Fiberlay is who I gott it from.

Here is all his contact information.

Duane Bowen- Facility Manager -
Alaska Fiberlay, Inc.
401 W International Rd., #30
Anchorage, AK 99518
907-274-5505 anchorage
907-538-2929 cell
888-782-0662 – Fax
800-942-0660 – Corporate
[email protected]
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aksnowryder » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:07 pm

Weather has sucked the past few days, rain yesterday preventing me from any progress. The good about it though is I finally figured out how I want to create the flange inside the door for the seal. I'll post pics when I get going. But I'll be cutting some of the left over Plasticore to shape and then fiberglassing it and epoxying it into place. Very simple. Don't know why it took me so long to figure it out. I only have a little fiberglassing left to do. Such a nice feeling!!! Then, I'll be sanding, priming and painting then installing lights and wiring. Having painted cars for a living in a past life that is where I feel very comfortable! Come on sunshine!!!!!!!!
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aksnowryder » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Sunshine all morning, 10 minutes before I got off work, clouds rolled in and now raining again. Really anxious to finish the last little bit of fiberglass so I can begin priming and painting.

Kinda torn on the color scheme. I'm looking at two possibilities. One all white with a red 70's style GT stripe down the center of it. The other red walls with the top solid white. What do y'all think?
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bonnie » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:40 pm

i vote GT stripe. :thumbsup:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:08 am

GT Stripe +1