Outer skins

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Outer skins

Postby Mary C » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:51 pm

NO, No. we are talking about Outer skins and that is the name of this thread............
taking up for ya GPW. I have the question .........Didn't we wear polyester in the 70's?....... :lol: Now that was a neat little movie about outer skins.

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:51 am

Mary , you mean the Disco clothes :o ... :lol: :lol: :lol: ... Heck , I’m still wearing polyester. :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby oakinteriors1 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:16 am

The 8 oz. Polyester I have used on several boats is sewn on then use an iron to shrink out any wrinkles, then coated with 3 to 4 coats of helmsman spar urethane...In skin boats the most vulnerable spots of wear are on the keel and chines, where the wood stringers are touching the fabric...But the fabric will stretch when you run upon submerged objects and it is very abrasive resistant...
And the tight weave is hard to get saturation through the fabric...I tried a test piece and applying epoxy resin to the surface only, it would not wet out, I was trying to get it to stick to wood like fiberglass cloth...
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:07 am

So could we glue it on a piece of foam Did you try TBII? It is water based. Oak could you try that with your polyester? try putting it on foam meat trays.

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gizzmo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:55 pm

GPW
That video was amazing.
It did not say what material they were using for a skin :cry: foam + chipboard + that material = amazing wonder if it can be glued on with TB2 instead of epoxy :thinking: wonder if it could be found locally :thinking: experiments would defiantly be in order :twisted:

I understand that a foamy is nothing really but a hard tent but if a person could make it better for cheap without adding much weight why not?
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:40 pm

Very impressive... that polyester! So who is going to be the first to put it on a foamie?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby oakinteriors1 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Hold on guys in the video the material is 8 oz. Nylon....12 oz. Ballistic Nylon is even tougher...But Nylon Verses Polyester on boats>>>>>And not just any paint will stick to Nylon...
http://messing-about.com/forums/topic/8 ... -vs-nylon/

And the cost ..8 oz polyester * Oxford weave * 68" wide $4.50 per foot..
Recycled 8 oz polyester * Plain weave * 60" wide $2.25 per foot..
http://www.kudzucraft.net/Fabric-for-skin/

1050 Ballistic Nylon 67" wide Extremely robust. Tight weave, great bias, shrinkable, 67" wide.
Used for larger skin boats, planing skin hulls, skin on frame rock garden boats. Price $4.40 per foot..
http://shop.skinboats.com/1050-Ballisti ... 050bal.htm
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Well that solves the thrifty issue $> $> I couldn't afford that !!! :cry: Some of you rich guys can continue..... airplanes kayaks, boats .....I will stick with canvas and TBII and Gripper.

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:32 am

Although that’s really Tough material , I can’t see where it’s really useful for a trailer unless you’re camping in “claw hammer “ country .... :frightened: ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby oakinteriors1 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:06 am

Unless it is a skin-on-frame camper....
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:44 am

Oak, there’s nothing I love more than skin on frame construction , like the old Vintage airplanes ... :thumbsup: But the question always comes up about how you’d insulate them ... To me , that would ruin the “charm” of the construction method ... being able to see all the carefully constructed parts and the skin taughtly stretched over them ... 8)

Perhaps a skin on frame would be a Nice Mild weather camper ... Certainly Light and strong ... and a chance to show off some “craftsmanship” !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gizzmo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:45 am

OH NO :shock:
I am finally up to the 200 s in the big thrifty Where Eagle is talking about the canvas peeling from the foam :shock: I will continue reading when time permits but the general consensus at that point is that TB2 was not the best answer for canvas to foam :o just picked up 3 gallons on Black Friday :x is there something better that I should try? Haven't got to the results about the lagging compound yet.
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:57 am

Gzz, TB2 is what worked best for us on the little foamie' and the FoamStream too ... They both live outside , no problems ... ;)

keep reading ... it gets better ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gizzmo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:05 am

Mary C wrote:Well that solves the thrifty issue $> $> I couldn't afford that !!! :cry: Some of you rich guys can continue..... airplanes kayaks, boats .....I will stick with canvas and TBII and Gripper.

Hey Mary the price really isn't that bad for my 4 x 4 x8 comes to about 112 $ for the ballistic stuff although not cheap it probably won't send you to the poor house either ( like Mike always says the quality will remain long after the price is forgotten)

Just a thought :thinking:

The bigger problem might be what to paint it with :thinking: will have to do more research
Not today Christmas Wife's side :thumbsup: :wine:
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mary C » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:09 am

Giz, just don't get upset, the TBII does just fine. I had some places that didn't stick too well but the iron trick did the job. you can get an iron that mama won't yell about at Goodwill I paid $2.50 for one. Don't pay attention to the variables the guys are just talking about a proposed thing that's how the whole Thrifty thread and foamies got started. You are going to use the proven method of the outer skin. just keep going you are ok. TBII and canvas will work with gripper to fill . I promise it will work just fine. As far as polyester, it might work like the over frame but I like the idea of insulation.

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies