Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:58 am

What’s comfortable for you .... ??? :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby angib » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:09 am

Mary C wrote:my new design for my standie, I am wondering how high? or rather how tall inside? I am 5'3" . Should I go 5, 6, 7 inches over my height. Any suggestions?

If you go just 3 inches over your height, you get the pleasure of watching nearly every visitor bump their head - a pleasure you should not deprive yourself of......
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Mary C » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:27 pm

I thought ................if ........Big IF someone might want to see inside I would not want to have any head banging.............. course I could offer them a wee bit of :beer: :wine: and they will never remember. after much thought. I don't want to date anyone over 6 foot so I figure ...........70 inches Now to figure out how much foam I need. this gives me something to dreamm on.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:39 am

Yes , keep those Tall people out of the camper .... simple ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:27 pm

I am laughing so hard, First, I will only date when I Win the lottery, and we know about those tall stools. I guess you get the first :beer: . You won't remember the hit on the head.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:07 am

Just need a sign on the side, like at the amusement parks, “you need to be no more than this tall to enter “ ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby SeaFoam-ie » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi TD enthusiasts and Foamie fanatics.
I'm Getting ready to build.

This is what I sent to Mike:
Dear Mike,

Please create a free tnttt account for me.

Desired Username: SeaFoam-ie (I sail a 22' Catalina)

My interest in joining the forum is: To build a 4X8 Foamie on my HF 40x48" (12 inch tire) Trailer which I will enlarge/ lengthen axle, etc. I live in Tallahassee, FL. I have read the first 56 pages and last 10 pages of : Re: Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers. over the last 2 weeks, and a few other threads. I want to get this Puppy built!! My friend who is a welder/auto body man/ flute maker/ etc. is starting his traditional TD build (using Ebay plans) starting in a couple days. Similar to: (Image won't paste)5x8' with 2 ft radius front, 4 Ft radius rear.

I want to incorporate as much Foam/TB2, skin as I can, to keep it lite and KISS, and build mine along with his. I like the plan that GPW has on about page 40 : Squared off instead of rounded off, -- But I definately want a rear hatch. Was this GPW plan put into earthly form? Where is the build thread? Is this squared off method as strong as with radius front/back? Can I search the site for specific issues I want to address? I'm amazed that I never say this site before now...

I like the ideas in viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54099

I have significant experience with design, construction. Age 64.

Thanks, Brian
SeaFoam-ie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby greygoos » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:32 pm

Looking to build a Foamie camper on my flatbed truck. It will be 5 ft. wide and 8 ft. long. I was wondering how high can I go? The height from the bed to the top of the cab is only 34 inches. I am not opposed to building a pop top but dont want build over the cab with a sleeper. Any designs will be appreciated as well as suggestions and direction.
Attachments
truck2.JPG
truck2.JPG (129.42 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:39 am

Seafoam , you got the idea ... any help will be gladly provided ... :thumbsup:

Goos , 34” is probably big enough to sleep in, but that’s about all ... all how comfortable you want it ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:03 pm

greygoos wrote:Looking to build a Foamie camper on my flatbed truck. It will be 5 ft. wide and 8 ft. long. I was wondering how high can I go? The height from the bed to the top of the cab is only 34 inches. I am not opposed to building a pop top but don't want build over the cab with a sleeper. Any designs will be appreciated as well as suggestions and direction.

You could make a bed shell level with the top of the cab and have it hinge just behind the cab and lift up to a more comfortable height at the rear. Folding triangular side walls and back wall could be hard foam panels (like Sharon's MyAway), or canvas soft sides. Your feet would sleep at the cab end, giving you plenty of room to sit up at the back.

Another option would be to make a hard (foamy style) cap with a bump up toward the back, like a two stage. Level with the cap at the front, sloping up to a higher level section at the rear.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:13 am

Thank you for the suggestions. When do you guys find time to sleep. I have wanted to build a foam camper since I saw the first post about one in 2008. I will probably go with a roof like you suggested similar to Sharons My Away and a Compact. I am a little concerned about about wicking since the bottom frame will sit on the bed of the truck. Will post the build when it gets started. Cheers
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:46 am

Some longitudinal runners (1X2 on the flat?) ought to be more than enough to keep the canvas sides and ply floor out of any standing water.
Are you thinking of having it mounted more or less permanently or making it easy to slide on and off ?

As far as the height, I think some sort of a pop up as suggested is the way to go. Most of these trailers tuck in behind the vehicle so they aren't exposed to headwinds at highway speeds. I would expect that the frontal area combined with the moment arm down to the floor would put a lot more stress on the wall-to-floor joint than most.
Not to discourage the idea in any way, just a difference that might need to be taken into account...or maybe insignificant.

What's the plan to secure it to the bed ? It should be light enough that ratchet straps should work rather than chains and belly bars like heavier slide-in campers.

Here is a link to drhill's removable 'pod' td that might help get the creative juices flowing.

I don't recall anyone tackling a slide-in foamie - it'll be great to watch it take shape :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:07 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking of a runner system also. I was going to use ratchet tie downs to hold down the camper on the bed. I want it to be light enough to lift on and off as needed. There was a previous build in the Foamies section with a truck camper that I believe could be slid in and out. I want to keep the camper light weight and below the cab mainly because of gas mileage. It is an 85 Ford Ranger but the engine is a Mustang 351. I only get about 15 miles to the gallon.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:40 pm

A 351 ? I've been thinking about putting a 302 in my '96. We should talk :twisted:
15mpg isn't as bad as it could be...
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:06 pm

Sorry not a 351. Its a 302
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies