A Foamie for one

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: A Foamie for one

Postby JazzVinyl » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:21 pm

GPW wrote:Jazz, I personally ( JMHO ) think it looks GREAT !!! 8) :thumbsup: If you want to make it look longer then some horizontal lines/shapes will do that , Vertical lines will make it look shorter … ;)
If you need some ideas , check out my photo album for some decorating themes …

Thanks, GPW...

My wife says the same, and says I was just used to dealing with it on the (4x) 5 gallon buckets and that when I put it up on the trailer, it just "seemed" too tall, to me.

And I guess that is right. I did have to make a change to the original design. Originally, I had smaller triangles in the back and a 3 inch shorter overhang. But I messed up the original triangles and overhang pieces (on a windy day, I was carrying them across the yard, they flew out of my hand and hit a wire fence that really messed up all three pieces). I should have reconstructed the destroyed pieces, but instead chose to press on with some larger triangles that I was originally going to use on the inside.

Maybe that is another reason it was bugging me, it is not exactly what I modelled, at the start of the project.

I do like it, everyone who has seen it, likes it, and for sure, everyone I have showed it to, is amazed that how solid it seems to be...(to not be made of wood).

I have decided on a simple paint scheme, and will proceed on...

Appreciate!

~~JV~~
JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

Postby JazzVinyl » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:28 pm

Got out and painted today...

Deep Blue sides and "Oyster" front back and top. The "Oyster" white has just a tiny hint of blue in it, is not apparent in the photos:

Installed the porch light:

And we managed after GREAT effort to install the rear window (was very very difficult,many words unsuitable for mixed company were uttered):

I sure hope the door and other window are not _this_ hard to install...!!!!

~~JV~~
Last edited by JazzVinyl on Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

Postby ghcoe » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:40 pm

Looks great.... :thumbsup:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JazzVinyl » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:50 pm

ghcoe wrote:Looks great.... :thumbsup:

Thanks, George! And wanted to thank you again, for your tutorial videos, without them, I would not have even attempted my build! Your generosity with your time and knowledge is exemplary!

The world would be a better place, if everyone was as generous as you!

~~JV~~
JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

Postby ghcoe » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:19 pm

JazzVinyl wrote:
ghcoe wrote:Looks great.... :thumbsup:

Thanks, George! And wanted to thank you again, for your tutorial videos, without them, I would not have even attempted my build! Your generosity with your time and knowledge is exemplary!

The world would be a better place, if everyone was as generous as you!

~~JV~~

Thanks! Glad I could help. Hope you have many good adventures in your foamie... :beer: (root beer)
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JazzVinyl » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:45 pm

swoody126 wrote:this build is coming along like a line in a Jimmy Buffet song

it's "so simple it plumb evaded me"

this build is ELEGANTLY SIMPLE !

an insuated hard sided tent up off the ground where the bed can be left made up for a semi-instant camp

sw

You got it, SW...

The idea was a very light yet strong, 'bed on wheels' for one adult and one 'old lazy dog'.

Pretty happy with it, so far, can't wait to try it out in the back country.
JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

Postby JazzVinyl » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:59 pm

Hello Foam-ites!

Got my other window and door in!

Also added a 12v color LED strip light - made a foam "L" so that it would be indirect, bounces off the ceiling 45 degree panel:

This is "mode normal":

But can be adjusted to be any shade or brightness lever of 4,096 colors:

also does "dancing colors" from slow/mild to fast/wild :-)

Has a "night light" mode that is orange...and turns off automatically after 30 minutes:

I have the "RV porch light" working too...throws a ton of light - if something approaches, I will be able to see what's what!

Few more things to do....add Tongue Box and Battery...might make a couple more corner shelves for the rear...

Really happy with the way it turned out!
Last edited by JazzVinyl on Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

Postby ghcoe » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:59 pm

Looks great! :thumbsup:
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:48 am

A “ Highway Hilton “ … 8) :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby JazzVinyl » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:56 pm

Camper has been moved out of the garage and into the back yard. let's see how she takes the weather!

Here is the "porch light", working:

I added a second rear triangle corner shelf (innards are not this color, this is from my LED light):

I found that while there is room for me and my 30lb dog...there is not room to store anything on the floor area, that is why I added the extra set of corner shelves in the rear. I also modified one corner to hide the wire that gives the porch light its 12v. I used a little triangle of foam and removed the corner peak to allow for the wire to be behind, and run up and out the vent to the porch light. Wire shows at the top and that was intentional, in case it ever needs servicing (color is from the "many color" LED light):

And took her for a little test drive today. definitely pulls like nothin' there....stopped and made this photo today, at approx 10 AM (04/20/20):

Cheers, all....
JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:49 am

COOL !!! 8) … Well Done !!! :thumbsup: :applause:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Theofam » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:28 pm

Not only do you make a great foamie, but you make a nice photo, too! As a Coloradan, I said, "that pic must've been taken in Colorado." Searched back through your garage pics, saw that license plate, and . . . BINGO!

Thanks for taking the time to post your build thread. It turned out great! Nice of Greg to advise you along the way, too. I'm new to foamies, but I already know I'll be looking for Greg's builds and, if it's not his, the FoamStream mentioned in your thread.
Theofam
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JazzVinyl » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:06 pm

Theofam wrote:Not only do you make a great foamie, but you make a nice photo, too! As a Coloradan, I said, "that pic must've been taken in Colorado." Searched back through your garage pics, saw that license plate, and . . . BINGO!

Thanks for taking the time to post your build thread. It turned out great! Nice of Greg to advise you along the way, too. I'm new to foamies, but I already know I'll be looking for Greg's builds and, if it's not his, the FoamStream mentioned in your thread.

Hello Theofam!

I think you mean George, not Greg. George Coe is definitely a helpful kind of guy (as is everyone on this site).
George's build videos are really what got me to give this a go. The ones located here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3xVuH ... SiploqPyrw

I followed his methods all the way and they work well! I had never built a camper before, so if I can do it, you certainly can, too.

I do not have a proper workshop, most of mine was done outdoors, I was at the mercy of the weather (and winds).

Did spend a lot of time filling in the "printed sides" of the foam with lightweight spackle and then sanding it back down, smooth. Someone here said you can use an iron over wetted cloth to raise the indentations the printing makes in the foam. I would test that if I were you, and if it works, that should save you tons of work.

Will also say that the following items (imho) are crucial to successful PMF:

1> Sanding the foam - there is a "coating" on the foam that resists moisture, need to get that off.
2> Rubbing alcohol wipe down before applying glue & canvas (lifts dust that snarls glue adhesion)
3> Wetting the canvas with a spray bottle after applied to the glued/foam (make the canvas "relax").
4> Roller...pressing the canvas/glue into the foam (I also used a lot of push pins to hold down edges while drying).

And the picture...yes, Colorado! A beautiful and very scenic place. That photo was taken just about 2 miles from my house.

That was kind of the motivation for building the mini-Foamie. I like sunrise/sunset photos and am retired. Wanted to go camping "during the week" solo, and make my sunrise/sunset photos. Just wanted a 'bed on wheels' and wanted to be 'remote' in Colorado..

Here is another recent Colorado Image:

Cheers and good building!

~~JV~~
JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

Postby Theofam » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:32 pm

Whoops - I meant George. I knew a Greg Coe. I'll check out his videos.

Thanks for all the tips you learned as well as another beautiful photo!
Theofam
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JazzVinyl » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:48 am

We had a little rain last night and happy to report that it appears the drip edge - works:

Watched water come down the canvas hit the caulk, and continue on down the drip edge.

Cheers!
JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies