Outer skins

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Outer skins

Postby Mary C » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:03 am

Use more glue in order to get even coverage put 1/4 water in the glue and it will spread a little evenly put the glue on the canvas and the foam. sometimes The canvas and/or material must be almost wet. Don't get discouraged in the end your use of gripper and the liberal art of putting it on will act as the "second" glue. I showed some of the glue put on and spread on one of the shelves I did the same to the canvas. I never once did anything to the foam to make it stick. Don't get so upset that the canvas has areas that it didn't hold. Use the glue it is ok you will use a lot. the canvas will stick if you coat it. You will have to use some water in the glue to get the viscosity so it will spread evenly.

Gripper is a latex, I thought something was wrong with it when I first opened the can, it is very thick When I was rolling the paint I kept reminding myself that it doesn't have to be perfect thin coat. I just gave it a fast coat then I let it dry, get very dry. then i looked and thought I really messed up. it was rough really rough, then I sanded boy was I surprised it doesn't take a heavy sanding, light will work. A second coat will get the spots filled and even the surface out, use a brush in those hard to coat places. After sanding you can top coat with a simi-gloss exterior latex paint as the final coat.

If there are some problems I used vinyl spackling in a place there was a hole in the canvas. by the time I painted it with the gripper and sanded it you cannot tell where the hole was.

Mary C. :lady:
Last edited by Mary C on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:14 am

not sure how the price compares, I used glidden paint instead of TBII. using a roller I rolled the paint onto the canvas, then rolled it onto the tear, flopped the painted canas onto the tear, and then rolled more paint onto the outside of the canvas. while the paint was still wet I cut the doors and windows and bedded the canvas into the door and window frames then trimmed the excess. Once it all dried I put another layer of paint over it all.
My tear is plywood and the paint is stuck so well, it tears the outer layer of wood when I try to peel the canvas off.
Mike's tests show paint sticking to foam better than TBII.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am

Row , wish we had covered our first (plywood) TD with a fabric ...that would have solved many little problems , and we’d probably still have it , and would have never thought of building a Foamie ... No Regrets , because we like the FS Much Better ... It’s Insulated !!! :D

My 18oz. canvas came from Big Duck Canvas... Nice HEAVY weight canvas, reasonably priced and delivered quickly ... I dealt with them Twice... :thumbsup: 8)
The very light Linen canvas used on the Foamie #1 was maybe ~ 3oz. ( I had used it for curtains before ) ... Big difference in skin thickness and strength ... although the thinner canvas has survived just fine on the #1 so far , living outside ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:11 am

georgiadawg wrote:What about screen? The kind you have on the porch. That would provide a matrix for the glue too, like you are talking about with the fibers of the canvas.

I tried it as an experiment and wasn't impressed with it. Covering the grid was a pain, corners were iffy. I did like the way that it cuts cleanly.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:16 am

Screen Might be good for reinforcing areas that might see some abrasion, rocks , etc. ... like the lower front nose ? Under the canvas.... wouldn’t show , but should add a lot of strength... (metal and all ) ... :thinking:

Just a thought ... if we wrap the whole trailer in metal screening , it might serve as a giant “tin foil hat” , keeping out signals from the Mother Ship ...and keeping the government from intruding on our Privacy ... just don’t make any cell calls ... :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gizzmo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:49 am

Mary C wrote:Use more glue in order to get even coverage put 1/4 water in the glue and it will spread a little evenly put the glue on the canvas and the foam.

Do I need to coat both the canvas and the foam :? That seems like it would be difficult to do :cry:
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tac422 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:55 am

Gizzmo,
Check out the pictures towards the bottom of this page:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56441&start=75
You only have to coat the foam, and then later paint the canvas.

tac422
500 Club

Postby Mary C » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:34 am

To Tac, Gizzmo, and all the other lurkers Glue the canvas on use a big spatula, small foam roller, whatever, It does work. you don't have to rough the foam just put on lots of glue. I decided that after I saw it with my own eyes. This is not rocket science just spread on the TBII and lay the canvas on, when it is dry it will be hard. Then smooth out the holes rough pits and marks you want smooth with vinyl spackling, any area you want to look smooth. After my trip to IN I had marks where I put the straps on I had pulled them too tight and it left indentations I put the iron to the places then used the spackling, then paint with gripper with Gripper. It is so simple this 63 year old did it.

I know it sounds simple please know that I worried too it sounds too simple but believe me it is simple and you can put in as much time as you want to get every thread and corner just perfect but remember the gripper will cover most imperfections. cut the curves trim and re-glue the threads if needed. I used a razor blade to cut them off. It is simple and works great honest..

Stop making it hard it is not!!!

Mary Christmas!!!
'
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gizzmo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:24 am

Ok I got it

Oh one more thing I can't seem to find gripper anywhere
It is just a primer?
What companies carry it?
Who makes it?

Would kills 2 work?
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby atahoekid » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:42 am

Gripper is a thicker and more adhesive version of primer. It is a Glidden product but have heard it said around here that it is being phased out and/or not available in Canada. I found it at a smaller lumberyard in Corvallis, OR when my daughter was going to OSU
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:01 pm

Seems any hi-fill primer would work, as long as it’s Foam compatible ... The reason why we suggest latex concrete block fill ... That should be available most everywhere ? Sherwin Williams has it ... HD too.. http://www.kilz.com/pro-x/v/index.jsp?v ... 6310acRCRD
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Gizzmo, It is Glidden gripper , get the number off the internet and call them they are very nice and helpful.

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gizzmo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:47 pm

Thanks again everyone.
Now I will just continue to stock up and wait for warmer temps 27 below this morning with wind brrrr!!! :shock: :thumbdown: :shock: :thumbdown:
One more ?
Not skin related
Do you think that if I laminated 1/4 plywood to each side of the foam that it would be sturdy enough to dance on?
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:57 pm

... dance on it ??? :o :roll: .... Maybe ? :thinking: I think that’s a first here... :dancing
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gizzmo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:48 pm

My wife is still young if she hears music she is going to dance :) :thumbsup: :applause: :goodmorning: :banana:
It would hurt her feelings if she broke something :cry: and I couldn't bear that :frightened:
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies