Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ... Building Foam TDs

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:15 am

Well now , that woke up some new thinking :thinking: Sometimes it’s good to take a poke at the status quo... ;)

Although I’d like to see everybody have a Huge Success, it’s not my place to interfere with creativity. Build what you like ... the way you want ... 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby cpowell243 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:56 am

This process of glueing canvas, which I am haven't done but am edging toward, seems to be the sort of thing you can only understand once you've done it, no matter how many threads you read. Sure would be handy to see it done. Living in the frontier (Wyoming) has its disadvantages.
I get that it is slow and needs to be done in smaller sections. Has anyone used a large piece to avoid seams, but only glued small sections at a time (leaving the unglued sections loose as you work from one end to the other)? Seems like you could avoid seams that way? Is here good place to read up on "gores," which seems to be the term Glen/FS used to describe canvas pieces that fit over a curve? I'm starting the get the idea that I created challenge for myself with the BEULA aero front.
Th - Ch
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:29 am

With help , you can stretch damp canvas around compound curves to a degree , then you have to make a seam ... Practice covering a cheap foam cooler first .... you’ll learn a lot ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:56 am

It's no problem to do sections at a time as you move along - that's actually a good way. For the heavy coats on both sides of HF canvas I used you have about 30-60 minutes to continue to the next section which should be plenty of time. Paint dries to the touch faster. It's easier to squeegee out the bubbles on a smaller section. The biggest problem is working the overlaps before they dry out when you are canvassing "the field" but it's doable as long as you don't try to do too much at a time (or you can do the overlaps as you go but they are time consuming).

Best thing is to work on sections that matter & show mistakes less - like the interior. It's just not that hard when you work defined sections and learn how much you can easily do in a session.
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:15 am

Actually the BEST thing is to do the Interior FIRST , (flat on a table ) , then join the panels as usual .... So much easier ... :duh:

JMHO, but I think the most critical element of covering is getting an even coat of glue on the foam and then carefully smoothing /squeegeeing/pressing/stretching the canvas down to the foam EVERYWHERE , not skipping over any spots. For long walls ( one person) , we stood the canvas up and rolled it out as we were gluing it down ... a workable section at a time ... ( we used blowgun darts as giant stick pins to hold the canvas where we wanted ) :thumbsup:

Tough job covering by yourself , even a dumb helper is better’n none at all, just somebody to hold the other end ... (I’m not implying anything !!) :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby cpowell243 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:21 am

GPW,
Thanks. When I get back (Wednesday) I'll start assembling the walls and smoothing interior. Think I'll use your idea of covering seams with drywall tape. Still debating bed sheet vs. canvas interior.
Cab you tell my anything more about the gores, or direct me to the page in your thread?
Th - Ch
cpowell243
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:30 am

We used bedsheets on the interior of the Foamie #1 and that was fine... and surprisingly strong... :thumbsup: It’s really the outer skin that holds everything together. That’s where I put my money !!! FS used 18 oz. canvas outside ... Thick , Overly STRONG !! Inside was thin chipboard panels glued to the wall , that worked super too ... Amazing how strong that stuff is , but when you think about it , it’s the same basic stuff wood is made of .... canvas too ... Many choices ... Although the chipboard gave the inside a nice smooth finish that painted well ... 8)

Gores :o ... I looked at hot air balloons , basketballs , and then just recklessly jumped into it cutting out canvas gores using TLAR ... It was the Heat of summer , my brain was fried from building outside in the Heat .... That’s why the nose of the FS looks like a basketball .... sorta' ... ish ‘ ??? :duh: I promise the next one will be better ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shar » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:19 pm

Interrupting this good discussion of canvassing to say that my little foamie has now traveled 6,000 miles! It has held up well, and the only trouble I had with it (premature tire wear) seems to have been caused by my amateur job of packing the bearings. Here is a picture of our rig in Drumheller AB on a camping trip last week.
Re. canvassing, my only regret is that I should have used more glue. There are a number of bubbles on Peregrino that look bad in the early morning sun. :)
Attachments
drumheller 2015.JPG
drumheller 2015.JPG (36.06 KiB) Viewed 985 times
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:13 am

Shar, it looks WONDERFUL !!! :applause: 8) :thumbsup: :dancing
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:23 am

I like the color, I like the design aw heck, it is superfine!!!!

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:43 am

Bubbles are easy to fix ... :thumbsup:

There seems to be a lot of concern for the Looks ... some wanting a Foamie to look like a megabuck RV ... Thing is , It’s Not , It didn’t cost that much , and you’re camping comfortably ... :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:46 am

It is like warthogs courting. They do not much care about the other's warts.

:D
Last edited by Wolffarmer on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:49 am

OK .... we can accept that ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:10 am

Edited my warthog post. Better?

8)
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:24 am

We Got it Wolf !!! ;) Good one !!!

I just have to wonder how tent campers react to seeing each others tents ... is there a “contest“ to see who has the nicest looking tent ... ?  Until I was 50 , we remote camped in the same surplus Pup tent that I had since a child ... I never thought about how fancy it was , or how it “looked" ... It was just your basic SIMPLE SHELTER.... Sorta’ like the original Foamie' idea eh !!! Not a Home , just a place to sleep out of the rain and store your dry clothes , everything else can be done under the stars... :roll: JMHO :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies