Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ... Building Foam TDs

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:10 am

Think of it this way, it isn't always about how we want to look to others, it's more about pride of workmanship. My build is to me like one of your master work oil paintings is to you. Well maybe not because you make that look so easy, but you put pride into them and try to make them look a certain way and be appealing to the eye, first so that it is enjoyable to you, and second so that others might enjoy looking at it, too. Schmaybe.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:22 pm

:R

Quick and dirty has a place as well. Great Stuff has superpower to fix large error. Expedience rules ! If you can't do excellent, good enough will do. As long as pieces don't fly off going there and home again, you WIN :D

Okay, I want to do it well too. All too often, it does not work out like that. Big dreams versus stark reality,
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:13 pm

Fred, I see you've been following my build :lol: :lol:
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:40 pm

Wobbly, yes I am following your thread but those points come hard won from the "whip of circumstance and true life".

I just do not have the mad skills & ability so often shown here at TNTTT but I do try (and often fail) :cry:
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:29 am

“ I just do not have the mad skills & ability “ ... Well then , that’s the whole point eh ? ... Not everybody is a carpenter, not everybody has a fully equipped shop , and a lot of people are not to be trusted with power tools :roll: ... A Foamie' can be Really Simple , yet fully functional ... Or it can be quite elaborate with all the bells and whistles .... depending on your skills and tools , and what you personally NEED !!!

Trying to discover new types of foamies' , we always lean towards a design that looks decent , and is what we need for the style of camping that we do , or intend to do , and can be built by most anyone , and without a shop full off tools ... Form Must follow function!!! ;)

I remember watch ing Norm , and thinking if we had a nice shop full of exotic tools (dedicated mortise tool :o ) , we could build all that stuff too .... without it , we could only dream .....

Foamies makes it REAL !!! :thumbsup: 8) :D Simple shelters anyone can build ..... anyone that can be trusted with a serrated steak knife...

We’re working on a Simple Standy' , No curves , no tricky cuts ... and Big enough for all my “stuff” ... Making more drawings .... again ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shar » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:00 pm

I agree, one of the best things about trailer building is that we can create something useful, right at our own size, price point and skill level. We can "git 'er done"! And if it has a slightly rough & ready appearance (like an old pup tent) that can be just fine.
GPW, you know we are all ready to hear about your next trailer idea. :D
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:47 am

OK, here’s a preview , drawing #1 ... The plan is to design a trailer that’s Big enough , but is simple to make ( No curves, simple cuts) ... so we’ll have to make more drawings (it’s what we do eh ? ) to develop the idea ... The only concession to the BOX is the nose which I feel (JMHO) that it should be slightly more aerodynamic than those cracker box RV's we see so often ...The ones that tow like a parachute ... It’s True !!! The Commercial trailer I had , presented almost 70 sq. feet , almost flat to the wind ... :frightened: Ever hold your hand out the window and feel the Drag caused by the relative wind...??? Well , think about holding 280 hands out the window :o .... That would slow you down a bit !!! Same with trailers ... less “hands” the better ...
A friend built a crude plywood V nose for his boxy cargo trailer and was happy about the mileage gain ... so it does make a difference , even if done in a rudimentary manner. :D
It’s so easy to make a smaller trailer , the usual 4X8 box ... but Bigger is really more comfortable .. and using tricks like angles , we might be able to make it almost as simple to build as the smaller one . just bigger parts eh ? We’re trying to make as few cuts to the basic foam sheet as possible ... :thinking:

Having spent some time now inside the FoamStream , we really appreciate , the 72 sq. ft. of floor space, and the ability to walk around or stand up inside ... 8)

#1 drawing ... Please feel free to throw your two cents (or more ) in .... :beer:
Attachments
SimpleStandy.png
SimpleStandy.png (53.25 KiB) Viewed 994 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:57 am

And already an update , the red lines and the 4’ measurements show the relationship to a full sheet of foam , possibly suggesting ways to get the most parts with as little waste as possible ... Thrifty ... :thinking:
Attachments
SimpleStandy.png
SimpleStandy.png (53.54 KiB) Viewed 991 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:05 am

Cool man. Any estimate yet on the weight of the basic shell and trailer?

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:07 am

Interesting. Porthole window looks out of place to me but some may like it - could use another window like on back doors instead.

I am skeptical about roof racks on foamies for anything heavy - at least TDs designed to be light weight. You have a perfectly good tow vehicle made of metal to put a roof rack on and the point about teardrops in the first place is to make do with less. You can buy a used standy trailer-camper for the kind of money anything but a simple foamie will cost, so it's kind of like putting everything but the kitchen sink into your TD.

So, why not have it "standy" over the whole length ? You could put a tilt in that roof section for less drag at the rear if the height is not needed over the whole length.
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:26 am

and more ... Nose possibilities at the cost of more work cutting panels at accurate angles (table saw) , raised axle to lower clearance... :thinking:

Note: the circle thingie behind the luggage rack (optional) is a roll out awning ... If you do put the galley in the rear , then it would provide some shade on a sunny day , protection from the rain too ... And then we have this crazy idea for a fold out galley , or in ... for rainy days .. :thinking:
Attachments
SimpleStandyV3.png
SimpleStandyV3.png (61.84 KiB) Viewed 976 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:34 am

Randy, no weight guesses yet ... still getting a shape ...

Fred, yes, you definitely could ... and with all windows , your choice...
Attachments
SimpleStandyV4.png
SimpleStandyV4.png (61.53 KiB) Viewed 947 times
Last edited by GPW on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:58 am

Fold Back galley ... food prep inside (bad weather) or outside when it’s nice ... also allows you to fold the galley back and actually carry something inside the trailer , perhaps a small foamy boat for a little Fishing... or some plywood ... or the BEER ... :thinking:
Attachments
Fold Back Galley .png
Fold Back Galley .png (68.66 KiB) Viewed 940 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:45 pm

Difficult to get away from the basic box without getting complex to build .... another Compromise ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:55 pm

GPW wrote:Fold Back galley ... food prep inside (bad weather) or outside when it’s nice ... also allows you to fold the galley back and actually carry something inside the trailer , perhaps a small foamy boat for a little Fishing... or some plywood ... or the BEER ... :thinking:

Do you think this could be done as a one door galley on the Nookery? Mostly for storage and the microwave. Just thinking out loud.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies