Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Postby GPW » Fri May 27, 2016 7:19 am

And another You Tube video showing how much LABOR goes into building a wooden Teardrop trailer ... made me tired watching it !!! :frightened: Makes me GLAD I built with foam ... ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMDsuQYU-3k
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri May 27, 2016 1:25 pm

I'm not sure anyone has ever found this but here's a spray plastic coating for foam that is the first I've ever seen that was cost effective.

StyroSpray 1000 company based out of Houston and it covers at roughly a dollar a square foot and not toxic at all compared to fiberglass or epoxy resins.

Says spray it with a hopper sprayer which is cheap at the HF. I estimated it would cover a standy for between 300 and 400 bucks and is a very hard shell at 65 on the D shore scale and can be painted with either water or oil based paints. I found a post of a guy wanting to coat his foam molds so cnc wouldn't tear it up and this is what was suggested.

http://www.industrialpolymers.com/products/styrospray-series

With the cost of canvas/glue and all this is just slightly higher and way cheaper than glassing or metal exteriors by far.

I might feel a foamie coming on since this was the last thing I was really looking for to build one since I never warmed to the canvas much and I HATE fiberglassing as to me not enough return on cost/effort/toxicity.

Hi Glen I know you'll answer lol ;) 8)
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri May 27, 2016 4:39 pm

Steve , please take pictures . I’m sure everybody would like to see your progress .. I sure do !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Sat May 28, 2016 4:04 pm

linuxmanxxx wrote:I'm not sure anyone has ever found this but here's a spray plastic coating for foam that is the first I've ever seen that was cost effective.

StyroSpray 1000 company based out of Houston and it covers at roughly a dollar a square foot and not toxic at all compared to fiberglass or epoxy resins.

Says spray it with a hopper sprayer which is cheap at the HF. I estimated it would cover a standy for between 300 and 400 bucks and is a very hard shell at 65 on the D shore scale and can be painted with either water or oil based paints. I found a post of a guy wanting to coat his foam molds so cnc wouldn't tear it up and this is what was suggested.

http://www.industrialpolymers.com/products/styrospray-series

With the cost of canvas/glue and all this is just slightly higher and way cheaper than glassing or metal exteriors by far.

I might feel a foamie coming on since this was the last thing I was really looking for to build one since I never warmed to the canvas much and I HATE fiberglassing as to me not enough return on cost/effort/toxicity.

Hi Glen I know you'll answer lol ;) 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50w-pzU9XK4
I know you guys have a hell of alot more experience than I do. saw this on the net regarding styrospray over foam.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Sat May 28, 2016 6:17 pm

I've used lots of Styrospray on my TV planes. It would definitely work for a foamy but it does have a bit of a learning curve to get the most out of it. It cures with humidity and is temperature sensitive like epoxy. For compound curves it would be my go-to choice over glass or canvas.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat May 28, 2016 6:20 pm

Here's what the airplane Foamie guys say about it... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... styrospray
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:57 am

Here’s an interesting video about Sheep Wagons , and with lots of good ideas that we could possibly adapt for our purpose ... :thumbsup: Coincidentally , similar to the Conestoga trailer in the Vintage plans section here... :thumbsup:

We found it interesting that a structure like that (similar) could easily fit on /off a “carry on “ trailer allowing for the metal trailer ”box” structure as part of the cabin as they’ve used it on these old wagons ... sorta’ ish’ ... :thinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0m6MpjFvS8

Ps . we need to get our terms straight... ( me ! ) What are those trailers really called , you know , the low ones with the metal framing on top and the ramp in the back ... Landscapers use them around here... ??? :?
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:24 am

UT - utility trailer.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:39 pm

Really , that simple .... UT ???   :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:08 am

All this “discussion” and all about a BOX to spend the night ... :roll: So many shapes , but when it comes down to it , it’s hard to beat the basic BOX ... Simple , easy to build ... the Maximum room inside .. room for all your ... ”stuff” ... :R The only concession we could make to upmost Simplicity is the shape of the Nose , only because we know FLAT noses create a lot of Drag ... ( Unless the TV is fitted with a “deflector” like 18W’s ) ... :thinking:

How Simple can we make it ??? 103127
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:19 am

The one depicted above ^ would naturally be built on a 5’ wide trailer ( like the new Aluminum NT trailer ?) and would have ~55 sq. ft. of floor space ... That’s Big , yet it would still easily fit in a garage ... especially if we abandon the silly idea of a roof vent ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:57 pm

May V-nose be better?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:33 am

You’re right . it just may be !!! I’d think either would offer an aerodynamic advantage over a plain box. :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby CanuckShooter » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:50 am

GPW wrote:The one depicted above ^ would naturally be built on a 5’ wide trailer ( like the new Aluminum NT trailer ?) and would have ~55 sq. ft. of floor space ... That’s Big , yet it would still easily fit in a garage ... especially if we abandon the silly idea of a roof vent ... :thinking:

Silly roof vent?? What would you propose as an alternative, to let the heat out of the top portions of a foamie?
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:47 am

The Old Timers ( I always refer to those folks ) used vents up high on the wall ...m Actually an upper vent ( or more ) and a lov=wer vent ( floor ) work best .... Hot air goes out the top , cool air comes in the bottom ...
Now I’m not saying roof vents are BAD , they just usually leak around here... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies