Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:12 pm

They must be good because a Nationwide search shows maybe 20 used for sale. That is a sign of satisfaction and build quality.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby nobull » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:05 pm

Hey nobull, where did you find that awesome photo of me? LOL!

You must be a good looking guy RJGIMP! That is actually me doing doing my "winter" part time job!
"Don't know where we are going, but ain't no use in being late" Matthew Quigly

Nobull
nobull
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:22 am

We saw a Trailmanor on the road , it looked good ( folded ) … We also heard they had sealing problems and got Dusty inside ( NBD ) I’m sure somebody here could figure out a proper sealing system … :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby stcyrwm » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:30 am

Okay, I did it. I read all 477 pages. Kind of funny to see the periodic posts all the way back to a hundred pages about what an accomplishment it is to read this - little did they know. Makes me wonder about people reading this when it is 800 pges long, haha.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's sharing. I am looking at starting a build within the next few months (if I don't cop out and buy something like a used trailmanor instead) but I am still in research mode at the moment. Whatever I do it will be more like a tiny home than a tiny teardrop - thinking in the 16 to 24 foot range. It would be something my partner and I would be living in off and on for a couple years.

Thanks again for making it a little easier for others to be crazy in their own way!

Bill
stcyrwm
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:17 am

Bill Congratulations !!! … and we’ll be here should you need others ideas or opinions … ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:17 am

stcyrwm wrote:Okay, I did it. I read all 477 pages. Kind of funny to see the periodic posts all the way back to a hundred pages about what an accomplishment it is to read this - little did they know. Makes me wonder about people reading this when it is 800 pges long, haha.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's sharing. I am looking at starting a build within the next few months (if I don't cop out and buy something like a used trailmanor instead) but I am still in research mode at the moment. Whatever I do it will be more like a tiny home than a tiny teardrop - thinking in the 16 to 24 foot range. It would be something my partner and I would be living in off and on for a couple years.

Thanks again for making it a little easier for others to be crazy in their own way!

Bill

Welcome to the nuthouse! I also got a good chuckle from those chumps congratulating themselves after slogging through this thread when it was a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge 100 pages or so. LOL!

There are a few of us who are still in the thinking stage of building a really big foamy. I have a popup frame with an existing 14 x 7 floor and I am contemplating stretching it to about 16 x 8. After seeing them get bigger and bigger I am confident there is nothing in the way structurally of building a PMF skinned foamy of virtually any size that is still legal to drag down the road. The beauty is that you could tow just about anything with a Ford Taurus!
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:06 pm

It's very feminine but awesome redo of 2005 trailmanor.
https://www.thepopupprincess.com/reader ... or-camper/

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:15 pm

Use a foamy in this with some aero downforce added in!
https://www.facebook.com/18672578137400 ... /?sfnsn=mo

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:51 pm

Well I've finally made it to page 100 in the Foam Stream build! I still have trouble remembering that I am reading things that happened six years ago. I want to respond to a question and then I think... oh yeah, they probably discussed that a page or two later - and they did!
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:25 am

Rob , we never stop discussing anything , because new builders are always showing up … so please respond away … :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Hamilton Felix » Fri May 31, 2019 11:15 pm

Hey, I read the entire thread! :) Now to start absorbing build threads. I feel like I know some of the people here. I confess that a few times I was all ready to contribute, then looked at the post date and had to remind myself “that was years ago!”

I’m 65 (how did THAT happen? Inside every old man is a young man - wondering what the h#@* happened), Hydroelectric Operator in the great Pacific NorthWET, hope to retire very soon (45 years is far too long). We’ve been wanting a very light and minimal teardrop, the “hard tent” concept, something we could tow with a 9th generation 5 speed Corolla (we have two). Wrote Andy Herrick a letter in January (for youngsters, that’s a thing you do on actual paper, then put in an envelope with a stamp on it). ;) No reply. In the meantime, we saw Road Toad by Camp Inn, and wondered how they could hit that incredible weight of 400 lbs. Other than vague reference to “modern composite construction,” they don’t say.

Recently, family needs hit our reserves, so the only way we’re getting a teardrop anytime soon is to build it. I was raised rural, know tools, had to fake several skills during 25 years as a shoestring budget landlord. We just scrapped a 1988 Jayco 806 pop up, so I have a frame. Looked at the Dexter torsion axle on it, thought I’d prefer different hub spacing, learned those axles only last 15-20 years or less, and this one is 31. So an axle is on the list, too.

I was going to turn the Jayco frame into a flatbed suitable for hauling a riding mower (but not much more). Now I’m thinking a foamie I can set onto the flatbed or remove when not camping. We’ve decided we want five wide, and the short “RV Queen” mattress. I was thinking something like GPW’s first build, a box with sloped ends. I sketched a half scale outline on our blackboard (painted onto the kitchen/dining room wall when we decided to home school the kids). Then I looked again at that frame, thought about the very most I could do, given a bit of fabrication with the welder I bought at Montgomery Ward in 1981. I might be able to go ten long instead of eight. Hmmm.... Door on each side, and one in back.

My wife, Kathleen, says she does not want a galley because she’ll spatter a lot of grease with her ketogenic cooking (which helped her reverse diabetes then beat stage three breast cancer), and she does not want that inside the camper. Give her a two burner Coleman and a folding table. We want this camper to be extremely basic. But when I mentioned the possibility of occasionally pulling it behind our modified WJ Jeep, up old logging roads, she suggested swapping wheels & tires. That got me to measuring and scheming. With the right wheel adapters, and assuming the wheels are outboard of the camper box, I could conceivably run the 25” Corolla wheels/tires on the highway (only carry one spare), then swap to the 33” wheels/tires of the lifted Jeep (again only carrying one spare) for the occasional offroad adventure.

Well, I’ve run on long enough. I want to do this as much as possible with only foam, fabric and glue (and yes the HD here in western Washington carries 2” foam.

Lane
Life is too short not to be happy.
Hamilton Felix
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:41 am

If you need any Help ,more opinions , just ask … Everybody here is willing to help … :thumbsup:

Ps. Congratulations on reading the entire thing … !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:14 am

Hamilton Felix wrote: We want this camper to be extremely basic. But when I mentioned the possibility of occasionally pulling it behind our modified WJ Jeep, up old logging roads, she suggested swapping wheels & tires.

If you want extremely basic you can check out my YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3xVuH ... SiploqPyrw . The channel is still a work in progress, but between that and reading here on the forum you should be able to figure it out. The Bug Out is a 4'x8' design, but could be adapted to 5' wide fairly easily.

Not having a hatch for a galley is probably the best thing for traveling on dusty roads. I went on a trip with other teardrops early last month, they got dust inside and in the galley. I don't like to sleep with dust and the Bug Out did very well. The weight on this build came in at a little less than 400lbs. Material cost where $1350.00, George.

20190511_065053 s.jpg
20190511_065053 s.jpg (263.99 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Hamilton Felix » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:42 am

Thanks I like the "squaredrop," and the tow vehicle. Is that an original Cherokee, or was there a two door Wagoneer? We have a pair of Jeep WJ's, one modified, one not. My Scout 80 days are far behind me.

There is so much to learn and absorb. I haven't even done anything yet, and I'm already getting excited about what you can do with foam. I have a son working for BNSF; it would be a chuckle to make him a foamie that looked like a caboose or maybe a new Dash 9 locomotive. It looks like foam can make any shape. I'm even thinking one could build in one's icebox, if building with 2" foam anyway. Where we live, close to 80 inches a year of chilly rain is the norm, so we want the insulation.

I will check out that YouTube channel. :)
Life is too short not to be happy.
Hamilton Felix
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ghcoe » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:44 am

Hamilton Felix wrote:Thanks I like the "squaredrop," and the tow vehicle. Is that an original Cherokee, or was there a two door Wagoneer? We have a pair of Jeep WJ's, one modified, one not. My Scout 80 days are far behind me.

There is so much to learn and absorb. I haven't even done anything yet, and I'm already getting excited about what you can do with foam. I have a son working for BNSF; it would be a chuckle to make him a foamie that looked like a caboose or maybe a new Dash 9 locomotive. It looks like foam can make any shape. I'm even thinking one could build in one's icebox, if building with 2" foam anyway. Where we live, close to 80 inches a year of chilly rain is the norm, so we want the insulation.

I will check out that YouTube channel. :)

It is a Cherokee wide track. They also made a Cherokee Narrow track which still retained the same lower sheet metal that the Wagoneers had. In the 60's they did make a 2 door Wagoneer. It looked just like a Wagoneer, even still retained the working windows that would normally be in the rear doors.

Foam is fun to work with and yes if you have the patience to work with it.

We have talked about the ice box idea on other threads here. I think at least one did do a built in ice box.

I just got back from a trip in Central Oregon. We sleep a few times in the 5000 foot level. I woke up a bit cold, but then I opened the door and realized just how cold it was. I have no heater so my body heat did raise the inside temp some. Maybe 5-10 degrees and I was sleeping in a sleeping bag under two layers of comfort blankets. I was toasty warm. :thumbsup: If you want a heater I would recommend these diesel heaters. I think they would be great for a foamie https://www.ebay.com/itm/5KW-12V-Diesel ... 0677.m4598 .
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies