the foamie (build journal)

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:07 am

Makes you wonder if the foam would "track" the expansion of the Al .... we know wood doesn't :o ... At temp. ,foam softens slightly so must be able to easily expand (one would think ) Guess you could test it by using a same size piece of Al and foam ... measuring the length in a cool room , and then after it's been in the sun for a while ... Maybe a test sample .. ? Scientific approach to get the factual data ... once somebody tries it , we'll all know ... another step forward !!!

;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:50 am

I have been following the other thread closely, and Eagle just directed me to this thread.

I have a small aluminum jet ski trailer that has been re-purposed as a utility trailer. I've been thinking about building a lightweight tear just for the fun of it. After following the foamie threads, I had just about decided to go this route. Then I saw this statement...

GPW wrote:M... At temp. ,foam softens slightly so must be able to easily expand (one would think )

Living in central Phoenix, "at temp" could easily mean 120 degrees or more, especially inside the teardrop. Do you think a foamie would make it out here? :thinking:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:08 am

just did some research.

STYROFOAM extruded polystyrene products will melt when brought into direct
contact with high temperature heat sources. The maximum recommended
continuous operating temperature is 75°C.

75C is 167F
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:10 am

i would think if you are camping in this in phoenix you would need a/c. the a/c would cool it down also.

i have never seen temps around us much over the 100 f so i think i am good. but if traveling west, hmmm. must make sure to include the a/c.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:37 am

We don't camp in Phoenix in the summer. I'm most concerned about storage temps.

I have a/c in my Weekender. We have used it twice, both times when we stopped in the desert on our way to cooler climates. :thumbsup:

As my good friend Steve Mason (past Director, Tear Jerkers Arizona) says, "If I need air conditioning, I'm camping in the wrong place!"
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:57 am

Cliff -
I've stored that stuff in my attic with no porblems. In Texas - our attics can reach temperatures of 150 to 160 degrees F during a summer da
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:09 pm

We found the foam softened around 190F (maybe I should have splained ' it better ) ... and we were able to bend shape it that way ... I wouldn't worry about it unless you live next to a Volcano ... But I'm sure the material expands and contracts , just like most everything else ... I've had Black foam airplanes sit in the 100F sun for hours with No problems ... and it was really too HOT to enjoy flying ... The foam didn't seem to mind ... and if it gets that HOT , imagine how good an AC inside a super insulated foamie TD would feel ... Guess we'll have to do an AC add on ..almost mandatory here in the summer ... You too !! ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Todah Tear » Mon May 16, 2011 4:47 pm

Very enjoyable thread!

BTW, what did you use to cut your Mickey shape.

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon May 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Todah Tear wrote:Very enjoyable thread!

Todah

i just outlined a plate, then found a plastic lid in the right size for ears. i am not positive, but we probably cut it out with a knife? i don't remember using any real power tools.

ratkity do you remember?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Mon May 16, 2011 6:35 pm

eaglesdare wrote:
Todah Tear wrote:Very enjoyable thread!

Todah

i just outlined a plate, then found a plastic lid in the right size for ears. i am not positive, but we probably cut it out with a knife? i don't remember using any real power tools.

ratkity do you remember?

I used a jigsaw!! It was great and cut very nicely.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Todah Tear » Tue May 17, 2011 8:49 pm

I'm glad to hear that you used a jigsaw. The cuts seem so precise and clean. I was afraid that you used some special tool with a hot-wire...or some other gadget that I don't have. :D

Great work!

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed May 18, 2011 6:41 am

thank you.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 18, 2011 7:23 am

So Eagle , have you moved on from this one .... not going to make any more improvements ??? It's just too Cute to set aside ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed May 18, 2011 7:47 am

:lol:

i was sort of heading in the leave it alone direction. but i still have to finish the stupid reinforcing strap. i wished i had not started it. it is so ugly! of course its not finished, but its still ugly! maybe that is what i could do with the waiting for payday time. continue to work on the first one.

there are things i want to do to it. i want to finish the straps. change the "up and out" counter to "down and out" that will be easier on my back.
i want to fix up the windows to try and hide the hot glue, make it look prettier. and of course finish the inside. :lol: oh and there is the touch up paint that still needs to be done.

so what does one do with 2 tear drops?

since i am in no hurry for the second one, i could always leave the first on the frame, and just buy a new frame for the second one. hubby already asked if that is what i planned on doing. so it would be ok with him.

but i don't like the first one. its ugly! if i could reshape it a bit better it would be nicer. its not a smooth curve, and there is the stupid bump on the top that i never did get rid of, which btw, i have on the second build, but i will make sure that is gone before covering. i don't know how i get that bump in there.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 18, 2011 9:28 am

I think it looks COOL 8) You just need to do the "finishing touches" ... These things don't come together till they're completely finished ... and if you don't like a particular aspect of the build , then HIDE it ... with some other attractive feature ...the trim !!! Gotta' be Creative !!! :thumbsup:

Distraction works too .... just by painting your Eagle Logo on it , that's all they'll look at ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies