the foamie (build journal)

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Wed May 18, 2011 9:30 am

GPW wrote:I think it looks COOL 8) You just need to do the "finishing touches" ... These things don't come together till they're completely finished ... and if you don't like a particular aspect of the build , then HIDE it ... with some other attractive feature ...the trim !!! Gotta' be Creative !!! :thumbsup:

Distraction works too .... just by painting your Eagle Logo on it , that's all they'll look at ... ;)

the eagle on the side with mickey heads on the doors? although i have always been thinking of replacing the doors.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 18, 2011 9:56 am

OK! paint Mickey on it ... or just re-cut the windows on the old doors ... :o Or you could just fill in the schmousy' with new foam , and cloth over it ... Easy with foam ... ;) Sorta' "cut and paste" ... 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

TD Decoration

Postby mezmo » Thu May 19, 2011 1:41 am

Hi eaglesdare,

Kudos for being "The Pioneer Foamie Builder"!

Keep the Mickey Mouse windows on the doors and paint on
a pic of the [semi-goofy] Vulture in the cartoon that sings:
"I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee..." - I'm sure you must
have seen that cartoon at least once in your life?

That would be almost as attention grabbing as the emblazoned
eagle would be. Save the eagle grafic for the standie!

Cheers,
norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: TD Decoration

Postby eaglesdare » Thu May 19, 2011 6:58 am

mezmo wrote:Hi eaglesdare,

Kudos for being "The Pioneer Foamie Builder"!

Keep the Mickey Mouse windows on the doors and paint on
a pic of the [semi-goofy] Vulture in the cartoon that sings:
"I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee..." - I'm sure you must
have seen that cartoon at least once in your life?

That would be almost as attention grabbing as the emblazoned
eagle would be. Save the eagle grafic for the standie!

Cheers,
norm/mezmo

thank you.
ok you had me on that one, so i gooled and i just finished watching the cartoon. i was laughing so hard here. he is too cute!
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 19, 2011 7:04 am

All in the distraction .... ;) Cupcakes look pretty unappetizing without the decoration... right ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:22 am

So Eagle , do anything on the doors yet ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:46 am

:lol:

nothing, but i do have to work on that a/c part today! we leave tomorrow. i have stalled as long as i could. i think i found something that will work to set the a/c on top.

i was looking around for something light wieght. since the a/c is slight heavy. so i was headed into the bathroom and low and behold there it was staring at me. the laundry basket! it is one of those tall stand up kinds, and the lid removes completley. so all i need to work on now is the size the foam to cover the door, then get measure for the hole to cut out for the a/c to slide into.

i am not sure this will work now that i have typed that. if i use the basket, i will need something else to hold the front end of the a/c inside the tear.

i might have to just bring a piece of 2" foam and set that ontop of my mattress and the a/c can rest on that. but then the basket will be too tall for for the part that sits outside.

ok i am back to looking.

i guess i will just have to go out there and fiddle around. but its going to be hot here. already we are in the 80's at 630am, predictions for hight 90's during the day.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:16 am

Don't you guys wish you were here.

Freak wind storm last night and the troops didn't have the 4x9 sheets of 1" foam weighted down well enough outside and POOF ! 17 sheets went bye bye. Picked up pieces and chunks and slightly boogered full sheets. $221.00 tossed in the dumpster :cry: :cry:

Maybe I should have saved it to build a foamie...... :lol: :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:34 am

$200 plus foam sheets blew away?
oh my goodness, that is horrible!

well i took the first step, i went outside and removed the tarp. opened it all up and wow, it was cool inside there. i mean temp cool. i found that hard to believe with the weather being so hot here. i guess it must have cooled off during the night.

somewhere in this thread or the big thread, i mentioned weather stripping that i bought from lowes and walmart. lowes would not stick on its own, i had to use hot glue. walmarts stuck just find on its own. well after being out there this morning, the walmart stuff has peeled away. so i suppose no matter what brand or from where you get it, i still need to use hot glue. the stuff i did use the hot glue on is still sticking.

i am going to put on some poly on my counter, i should have done that a while ago, but again i was lazy. i do have poly on it from when it was a flip up and out, but not since we modified it to a flip down and out. and there is an angled cut in it, so it really needs the poly coating.
have i mentioned how much i love the flip down and out vs the flip up and out. well i do love the new and improved down and out way! thanks goes to the tearjerkers that did the work for me. :applause:

ok i have stalled long enought on this break, so back to the grind.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:00 am

BH, That is AWFUL!!! :o :cry: Were you able to recover any usable pieces ???

Eagle , get it done !!! I can remember in the old days when I'd install an interior in a van the day before I'd go camping with it ... Makes things "interesting" ... :R Don't forget to take pics eh ... :)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:35 am

i hate to admit this, but i did some house cleaning first :shock: :D , took the trash outside and well that was the end for me. the temps are over 90 and its saying it feels like 95. its only going to get hotter. so the rest is going to have to wait til this evening. i might, that is a big might, get that poly done sometime, but i can't take this heat.

another problem i have is the a/c itself. our main central a/c has died. so believe it or not i am using my small $25 one in the window in the house. it is doing the job, not well, but its cooler in here than out there. now i don't want to take it out of the window yet. not til i am ready to leave. those that stay behind will just have to suffer while i am gone. :D
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:40 am

eaglesdare wrote: the temps are over 90 and its saying it feels like 95. its only going to get hotter.

I don't know where you live, Eagle, but 95º is very nice weather here inthe Phoenix Valley. (It's a dry heat, as they say). :lol:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:57 am

i am on the east coast, about as far east as you can get, near the ocean. we are having the wet heat, so to speak. too much humidity here. it is hot. takes your breath away. like it very heavy hot air. yuck.

somehow i can't imagine az being nice. i would think that would be way too hot for me. but like you say, it might just be the difference between that dry heat or our humidity.

i remember going to greenland for a layover and we were outside with just our shorts and t-shirts on enjoying the weather. it was freezing there. i forget the temperature, but i remember those same temps when we were in tenn and i couldn't get warm enough, had to wear a goose down. i think there was something about the dry/wet issue taking place. at least that is what we all discussed.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:24 am

I like it hotter than most. Anything under 110º is tolerable, anything under 100º is a great day! It's 70º right now (7:20 am), with a high of 99º predicted. 26%% humidity (which is high for us). Awesome day!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:43 am

i got 1 coat of poly on the counter.

starting to work the foam in the door for the a/c. i only got as far as the height for cutting and had to come back in.

it is 97 but feels like 104 right now. so i am going to do this in baby steps. next time i go out it will be just to cut the height. then back in to cool off. then cut the width, then back in.

any thing else just might have to wait to those temps start coming down. i know i can run out periodically and put another coat of poly on. as long as it is only a few minutes at a time i can do this. but i hate feeling all wet and slimy!!!!!!!! :cry:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies