laursand's Canvas over Plywood

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: glue info for foamies

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:51 am

Update: Long term testing indicates that foam glued /laminated with either the Gripper or TB2 will eventually dry completely inside , but it takes a long time ... months... especially in cooler weather... Best plan ahead for gluing such things.... then , just let it dry ... and dry , and dry .... :duh: Much easier ways , but it does work ...later... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Lighterknot » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:21 pm

So I read through most of this thread but just wanted to make sure I am tracking...glueing the foam walls directly to the wood floor with the TBII is secure enough to keep the entire structure from lifting off the trailer? Or is that where the GG is used?
Lighterknot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ghcoe » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:28 pm

I would use Gorilla Glue or Great stuff for joining the foam to the wood floor.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:27 am

L’knot, the “Skin” holds everything together ... ;) Did you read the BIG thread yet?
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:26 pm

I glued a 2x2 along the bottoms of my walls, then used PL and screws to attach the walls to the floor.

The 2x2 did several things for me: 1) it gave me a nice straight solid reference point to make all of my measurements from; 2) it provided a hard edge to help protect and handle the wall while moving it around during the various phases of construction; 3) it had adequate strength to bridge under the door opening without snapping during handling, allowing me to keep the door sill low below the top of the mattress, so it won't dig into the backs of my legs while sitting in the doorway; 4) it provided rigidity to the wall during construction before the inner skin was applied; and 5) it provided a solid point to screw my wire ways and cooler slides into at the base of the wall.

For a more traditional foamie, what they said, use GG and always wrap the side wall canvas under the floor.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby georgiadawg » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:11 pm

What is a good estimate of coverage area per gallon of TB or Elmer's Max, square footage, just to "tack" down the canvas, and then if you wanted to wet out the top surface after you tacked it down. Lets say it's 6oz or 8oz canvas.
georgiadawg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RandyG » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:29 pm

Just throwing this out there but I just did a little work with felt on foam and 3m Super 77 works great. I even tested foam to foam with it and the foam failed before the adhesive failed. Could be a good option for inner walls. Just not to thrifty at $10 a can but I'm sure it will cover quite a bit.
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:37 am

The BIG problem with 3M77 is the tendency to outgas the solvent when heated (sitting in the Sun) , which EATS the foam ... Tested on RC Foamies long ago ... The reason the RC Foamie guys don’t use it anymore .. :thumbdown:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RandyG » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:37 pm

Well, that's no good! Have you tried it on an interior wall though? Maybe the insulation of the foam and skin would protect it from the sun.
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:37 am

It’s the heat over time that does it ... We’ve taken apart (not by choice ) plane wings where the foam had cavities eaten out from the 3M77 ...and that foam was covered with 1/16” balsa wood and a mylar covering over that , so the sun couldn’t really reach it , but the heat did ... :o The plane guys switched to a latex product called Southern Sorghum ...it was inert and worked fine ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:05 am

I was just wandering around youtube when I found this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnOegaOKu38 She's sculpting foam I am gathering from what she's talking about around her testing but she did do a pretty nice set of test blocks of various foam adhesives. She tests all the usual contnders Gripper, GG, and GS, as well as some specialty foam glues.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:53 am

Laura, that was the basis for a lot us trying the Gripper !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tsmyth » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:04 pm

After preshrinking my 12' x 9'- 10oz drop canvas from Harbor Freight and put in the sun to dry, there were many wrinkles in the canvas.
My question is before I glue the canvas to the top and sides , should I iron the canvas to take out the wrinkles or will it not make any difference?
Attachments
02 Model.JPG
02 Model.JPG (36.91 KiB) Viewed 2768 times
tsmyth
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:45 pm

TS, Iron it if you want , or just dampen it slightly before applying .. If it’s real thick , then ironing may help ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby scuba1978 » Sun May 04, 2014 11:31 pm

gorilla glue is awesome stuff! But, it doesn't come off of anything, so be carefull. I have rubber gloves, but I tend to get glue on my hands and arms anyhow. What I have found best to get it off is to rub sawdust into it as soon as I get glue on my hands. Really rub hard, it will get most of it off. Then, I use the little cheese grater things that the. Ladies use on their feet, and a pumice stone. It takes quite a lot of scrubbing, but it gets almost all the glue off. Even after that, my fingers feel "fuzzy" and plastic for a.day or two. Good luck!
scuba1978
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies