laursand's Canvas over Plywood

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks Mel

Need more? Oh ya, need lots more!

:lol:

What is your opinion on glass cloth verses fabric? I am thinking that most canvas is to heavy. And even with the lighter stuff had better use a thin primer/paint. I am going to use bed sheets for a small fomie project I have going. Am ready to start putting cloth on it. As soon as I get Junk room #1 cleaned enough I can bring the project in from the cold.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:28 am

If I decide to go this route (fabric under glue or paint), I would probably go with a light fiberglass cloth. I'm thinking maybe 2.5 oz... It's easier to fill the weave on fiberglass than it is on canvas and the fiberglass will be plenty strong.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:25 am

Just FYI , where I glued the fiberglass tape on my Foamie , using T2, it came out nice and smooth and was well attached ... still is !!!

Fiberglass cloth would be a good substitute for canvas ... It’s all what YOU like and want !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:41 am

now i have thought about that also. i know we talked about that at one point.

how strong would that fiberglass be for holding the foamie together (sock effect)? would it still be attached under the floor like the canvas?
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:57 am

I can see fiberglass (tape) being really good for reinforcing strips , glued up and over the cabin in one continuous piece and under the floor for a good ways on each end , essentially a built in fiberglass cinch strap , as I did on mine ... The reinforcement strips are Very Important , much as the reinforced heel on your foot’s sock ... the area that has the most stress... It reinforces the Foamie “sock" on the edges and floor join , where it needs it most ... the large flat areas only have to avoid hammers and frozen Turkeys ... ... JMHO

Eagle , fiberglass is pretty strong stuff , just the fabric alone ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:38 pm

GPW wrote:I can see fiberglass (tape) being really good for reinforcing strips , glued up and over the cabin in one continuous piece and under the floor for a good ways on each end , essentially a built in fiberglass cinch strap , as I did on mine ... The reinforcement strips are Very Important , much as the reinforced heel on your foot’s sock ... the area that has the most stress... It reinforces the Foamie “sock" on the edges and floor join , where it needs it most ... the large flat areas only have to avoid hammers and frozen Turkeys ... ... JMHO

Eagle , fiberglass is pretty strong stuff , just the fabric alone ...

I totally agree with what GPW said. I was thinking about using 2.5 oz fiberglass cloth. Real light, pretty inexpensive and still strong. I did some searching at a couple of internet resources, I found prices by the linear yard for 7 oz canvas and 2.5 oz fiberglass cloth, then calculated price per sq yard and came away with $2.57 per sq yd for canvas and $3.20 per sq yd for the fiberglass. I didn't search real hard for the best price so you might be able to do better, but it gave me a ballpark price. I guess it's up to the individual if they're willing to pay the difference. No matter what I do, I will be using a fiberglass strip at the floor to wall joints (interior and exterior). Still contemplating about the main body, so many good choices...HMMM :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Re: glue info for foamies

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:22 am

Just a word for your consideration if you’re thinking of using Titebond 3 (Three) ... We recently read that Titebond 3 , Once CURED, does Not like to stick to itself ... :o So while an excellent glue for wood/foam . or wood to wood assembly . we’d better stick with the T2 for coverings/ skins or any place where we’d have to apply more glue over the top ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:14 am

Nice tip GPW. I have never heard of that but as TB3 is not really needed and costs more yet another reason to go with it. Just cause something costs more does not make it better for all purposes.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:30 am

Wolf , I can’t wait to try the Paint as glue (covering) no T2 to buy at all ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:03 am

Yes, that is looking good to me also. Now I just need to get someone to do all the work for me. I can do the thinking. And someone to pay for it. I can do the spending.

So far that part of the plan is not coming together. :oops:

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:01 am

You need to consult Eagle for that ... :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Expert help !!! :thumbsup: :applause: :wine:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:31 am

GPW wrote:You need to consult Eagle for that ... :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Expert help !!! :thumbsup: :applause: :wine:

sorry, i must have missed ths one. expert help? on what?
i am no expert on anything.. :lol: but i was telling hubby last night, that my stuff is so not cute/pretty or hall of fame looking, but its mine and it works and i did it, (well i had folks put my shell together with my supervision :lol: )
:wine:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:59 am

Wolf said: “ Now I just need to get someone to do all the work for me.” ...

Eagle said : "(well i had folks put my shell together with my supervision )

Now is it me or do both of those sound somewhat similar ??? :o A sure sign of natural born “Contractors” ... 8) :D

Somebody’s gotta’ direct the show eh !!! :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:10 am

GPW wrote:Wolf said: “ Now I just need to get someone to do all the work for me.” ...

Eagle said : "(well i had folks put my shell together with my supervision )

Now is it me or do both of those sound somewhat similar ??? :o A sure sign of natural born “Contractors” ... 8) :D

Somebody’s gotta’ direct the show eh !!! :lol:

:thumbsup: :wine:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:13 am

i had my boys and hubby's boy and my daughters boyfriend all outside yesterday digging a few more rows for the garden, pulling weeds etc. even thad the plant more lettuce, tomatoes and squash. it was great, while i worked on my wall, i had the help work my garden. 8)
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies